Notifications
Clear all

Anyone else?

belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I arrived early at the jamboree last Sat to see the other teams in my age group and i noticed that not one defense other than ours has the wide DE. Most were traditional looking 4-3's with their backers over the center and just outside the emlos on each side. Has anyone else noticed a trend in their league? I remember a few yrs ago playing teams with wide DE and Corners also up on the line to stop sweeps ect. Not anymore.

Sad thing is, with all this change happening,we still couldnt run outside.  :'(

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I arrived early at the jamboree last Sat to see the other teams in my age group and i noticed that not one defense other than ours has the wide DE. Most were traditional looking 4-3's with their backers over the center and just outside the emlos on each side. Has anyone else noticed a trend in their league? I remember a few yrs ago playing teams with wide DE and Corners also up on the line to stop sweeps ect. Not anymore.

Sad thing is, with all this change happening,we still couldnt run outside.  :'(

B

Common misnomer.

When we ran the 353 just looking at it on the field you'd think Sweep.

Reality....the 353 spikes the Sweep like no other D that I am aware of. The quick hitting Dive was the Achilles Heel.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

I have yet to see any wide DE's in my league in 4 years.  It is not common, nor is motioning or cracking a defender.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Thats all i really see.  Wide DE's that is.  But i think that has more to do w/ our being infamous for our fly offense.  I consistantly see different D's in person that one i saw them run against someoje else.

The funny think is, we hope and pray to see wide ends.  Opens up our entire offense.  We have so many answers for wide boxing DE's.  Red sweep, Wham, Midline option, a plethora of counters, Belly weak & strong. 

But, if they don't play wide, then yes, we will kill teams w/ fly sweep. 

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Most were traditional looking 4-3's with their backers over the center and just outside the emlos on each side. Has anyone else noticed a trend in their league? I remember a few yrs ago playing teams with wide DE and Corners also up on the line to stop sweeps ect. Not anymore.

That OLB just outside EMLOS?  He's your wide DE.  He's just backed off the line and running Sky.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

That OLB just outside EMLOS?  He's your wide DE.  He's just backed off the line and running Sky.

Yep.  Clark do you make any blocking adjustments against OLB's in that allignment?

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Yep.  Clark do you make any blocking adjustments against OLB's in that allignment?

The first team that did this to me was a 3-4.  And my assigned DE blocker (FB) couldn't find him expectiong him (as I had taught him  :'( ) to be on the line.  So it was working GREAT for them until I told him the "DE" was just off the line and outside the TE.  After that it was a massacre and they were out of the "D" the very next game.

PS:  I had a good FB.  He started in high school.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Share: