Page 2 / 2
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 20, 2019 6:23 am  

Your PAIN approach is like a powerful disinfectant seeking out and crushing fear causing germs leaving you with fearless soldiers you turn loose to seek out and destroy enemy running backs.

And here I thought I was just teaching them how to tackle.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 20, 2019 9:14 am  

Bob is trying to teach players who are scared of contact a technical way to make tackles.

I don't think a player who's afraid can make tackles.  Or even play the game.  The players need to be slowed down, explained to, taught and given the answers to the questions, before they take the test.

Most coaches teach football as if it were a pop quiz, and there was hell to pay if a question is answered incorrectly.

How much of your job do you think you'd have learned if your boss was yelling at you from Day 1?  I'm willing to bet "zero" because you wouldn't even have put up with it.  You'd have told him to go ____ himself and quit.  Do kids have that option?  Not if Dad is "forcing them to play."  But they're coached as if yelling passes for quality instruction.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
August 20, 2019 12:37 pm  

Run as fast as you can to the ball. When you get there make him sorry he ever contemplated stepping on the field.
Everyone complicates this. Run through the ball carrier and put his ass in the dirt. Just how i approach it.

Same here coaches  way over complicate the simplest task....

Head Coach Tito CorreaMeriden Raiders 14-UOffense-Hybrid WingDefense - Odd- Stack

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 24, 2019 6:38 pm  

Run as fast as you can to the ball. When you get there make him sorry he ever contemplated stepping on the field.

Everyone complicates this. Run through the ball carrier and put his ass in the dirt. Just how i approach it.

If we left it that way and didn't "complicate" it with technique, it'd result in high, dangerous, and ineffective hits.  The way you're describing it is how kids play pickup football with no adult supervision.  They hunt heads.  They don't play angles.  They do gang tackle, but it takes the entire gang to bring anybody down because they're all Greco-Roman wrestling.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 25, 2019 4:11 pm  

ob is trying to teach players who are scared of contact a technical way to make tackles.

Yes.  I think it helps.

Many psychologists who work on phobias use technical methods to put the client in a position where avoidance is less attractive.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
August 25, 2019 4:32 pm  

Yes.  I think it helps.

Many psychologists who work on phobias use technical methods to put the client in a position where avoidance is less attractive.

I do too, Bob.  I was just contrasting the different approaches. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: