Notifications

Coming out "flat" on game day  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS

coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
September 18, 2014 9:03 am  

Ion Block Rocker - $150 @ Costco.  Just load it up with "edited" music and put it on during pre-game.

I debated using it during practice but I don't because then it would become the status quo.  Players are bouncing around and are loose and come out hitting 🙂

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
September 18, 2014 9:13 am  

The idea that being silent and focused puts pressure on you is absolutely ridiculous.

Now, if some moron tells you you can't talk on the bus, that's different.

And if you're the type who is more comfortable being silent and focused, having some idiot wondering why you don't look excited can certainly create pressure that doesn't help matters..

I'd like to put you on a bus and tell you that you can't talk.

I think it's ridiculous to expect kids to be quiet and focused, and then 10 minutes later they're supposed to be some sort of super star football player.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 18, 2014 9:20 am  

I think it's ridiculous to expect kids to be quiet and focused, and then 10 minutes later they're supposed to be some sort of super star football player.

I would never expect them to be quiet and focused and I would never expect them not to be.

You just decided to make the same mistake in a different direction.  That's all.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
September 18, 2014 9:26 am  

I would never expect them to be quiet and focused and I would never expect them not to be.

You just decided to make the same mistake in a different direction.  That's all.

So you don't do any sort of cheer or breakdown?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
September 18, 2014 9:34 am  

We are always ready on defense and defer if we win the opening coin toss.  It allows us to get great field position when we hold them to 3 and out. 

Pre-game, we get their early enough to do our warm-ups (same as practice), a walk-through on special teams, a walk-through on defense and a walk-through on offense.  We let them get fired up themselves before kick-off as they do it organically and we don't have to force it with a speech.  By the time kick-off happens, they really just want to go out there and hit.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 18, 2014 10:14 am  

What do you mean by "getting their minds right"? What is "right" in your opinion?

The mental state that I'm looking for is confident and excited. It's the same mental state that you get into before going on a roller coaster (assuming that you like roller coasters and are not scared). I don't want them to be silent and focused. That puts the pressure. Pressure makes you feel anxious and nervous. One time I told my team not to talk on the bus ride to the game. The entire team had to go to the bathroom once we arrived. In my opinion, it's the wrong kind of energy.

I was a better wrestler than football player. One thing that moved me onto the next level of wrestling was learning to get my mind right. Visualization and a calmness made me MUCH more effective as a wrestler. Clarity of mind focuses you on the task at hand. Too much adrenaline leads to mistakes and a wasting of energy on nothing. That excitement you feel before going on a roller coaster is actually using energy. We try our best to eliminate mental mistakes. Those mistakes happen easier when excitement reaches a high level. Your mind can't function properly with too much excitement. Don't believe me? There are plenty of papers and books written on the subject. Again, it works for us. Very well in fact. If you don't like it then don't use it. I wouldn't say that is our number one reason for the level of success we have had but it has definitely helped. I'm not saying don't get the blood flowing, I'm saying doing it too much is a waste of energy and focus.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 18, 2014 10:17 am  

So you don't do any sort of cheer or breakdown?

Because cheers and breakdowns help you win somehow? Not that our kids don't do them but tours are far less energetic than our opponents.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 18, 2014 10:22 am  

I'd like to put you on a bus and tell you that you can't talk.

Ridiculous as it may sound(and personally if a kid wants to get excited about playing I don't care) we somehow, some way manage to win more games then we lose. It isn't about not talking it is about shutting out distractions. Focus on the task at hand. It is not about meditation and being quiet, it is about, oh never mind. Do what ever the heck you want. I feel like I'm arguing with TT. If you do well with what you do keep doing it. Don't worry about what we do as we obviously are clueless.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 18, 2014 10:32 am  

Great discussion Gents.

Our Team came out so flat last week I was actually quite shocked ( no first downs on O and 3 TD's given up by the end of the first Q ) .....so I have been following along.

We use many pre game traditions that I have picked up over the last 20 years or so that have worked very well in the past and they all failed last week.

No clue why.

We hit...we have a boom box....we do the banner thing....we have our quite time....we review whats needs reviewing....we push the kids to run things themselves for focus...etc etc etc.

Many of the same things mentioned here that some do or don't do.

Im still miffed.  :'(

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
September 18, 2014 10:33 am  

Don't worry about what we do as we obviously are clueless.

You were the one who replied to me. You started off with "Why the heck..." so I answered you. I was never worried about you. And for good reason. You're a good coach. Don't get so frustrated. I am a moron after all. 😉

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
September 18, 2014 10:36 am  

Great discussion Gents.

Our Team came out so flat last week I was actually quite shocked ( no first downs on O and 3 TD's given up by the end of the first Q ) .....so I have been following along.

We use many pre game traditions that I have picked up over the last 20 years or so that have worked very well in the past and they all failed last week.

No clue why.

We hit...we have a boom box....we do the banner thing....we have our quite time....we review whats needs reviewing....we push the kids to run things themselves for focus...etc etc etc.

Many of the same things mentioned here that some do or don't do.

Im still miffed.  :'(

We had the same problem two weeks ago. I'm convinced that it was two things.

1. The HC and AC that I coach with are both screamers. They yell at the kids to be quiet and pay attention, which is why I've been harping on fun. You probably don't have that problem
2. We were playing in city rivals. These kids all knew each other, and they probably knew that this team was undefeated last year.

Do you think #2 could play a role? Maybe the kids knew something you didn't?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 18, 2014 10:49 am  

You were the one who replied to me. You started off with "Why the heck..." so I answered you. I was never worried about you. And for good reason. You're a good coach. Don't get so frustrated. I am a moron after all. 😉

Kyle, I certainly don't think you're a moron. I just don't understand why people are so concerned with every little aspect of football being fun. We aren't running some boot camp practice or pregame. What worked for me as an athlete may not work for others. That's cool. Either way. I don't care. I think what you missed(maybe my fault in explaining it poorly) is that I want the team to get rid of all distractions during pregame. If the teams personality is one that likes to get all hyped up then fine. If they are a calmer team, fine. Distractions cause the kids not to be focused on the task at hand. They can have all the fun they want as long as the distractions are removed and they are focused on the game. So we try to weed all the noise out(not literal noise) then we get them stretched, warmed up and ready to go. I hate things like non players and coaches being near us when we warm up. I hate kids forgetting something or having to leave to go to the bathroom. All that bs that gets kids minds somewhere other than football. We take measures to make sure those distractions are all taken care of before we start our pregame stuff. We want them 100% focused on the team and the game we are about to play.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
September 18, 2014 11:02 am  

Kyle, I certainly don't think you're a moron. I just don't understand why people are so concerned with every little aspect of football being fun. We aren't running some boot camp practice or pregame. What worked for me as an athlete may not work for others. That's cool. Either way. I don't care. I think what you missed(maybe my fault in explaining it poorly) is that I want the team to get rid of all distractions during pregame. If the teams personality is one that likes to get all hyped up then fine. If they are a calmer team, fine. Distractions cause the kids not to be focused on the task at hand. They can have all the fun they want as long as the distractions are removed and they are focused on the game. So we try to weed all the noise out(not literal noise) then we get them stretched, warmed up and ready to go. I hate things like non players and coaches being near us when we warm up. I hate kids forgetting something or having to leave to go to the bathroom. All that bs that gets kids minds somewhere other than football. We take measures to make sure those distractions are all taken care of before we start our pregame stuff. We want them 100% focused on the team and the game we are about to play.

I completely agree with the no distractions thing.

And I'm not saying every aspect of practice or warm up has to be fun. I do want it to be the tone though, and I try to get that with some drills. I only do them with the kids who are told to stand in a line to "shield" the other team. I've always found that to be a really pointless practice.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 18, 2014 11:11 am  

I completely agree with the no distractions thing.

And I'm not saying every aspect of practice or warm up has to be fun. I do want it to be the tone though, and I try to get that with some drills. I only do them with the kids who are told to stand in a line to "shield" the other team. I've always found that to be a really pointless practice.

I agree with that. I actually don't care if teams watch us. We might get in a lonesome polecat just to get the coaches thinking too much.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
September 18, 2014 11:12 am  

My kids love their chant. We do base cal's , walkthrus, and some contact before games. Then they do their chant. They do it at the end of every practice also. I took their chant away this week, because of half the team giving up in our last game. That doesn't fix the problem, but they have to earn it back. Do what you want before a game, because its not going to change a thing. Maybe change how you start practice. Start hard and fast in practice, that might help. GO TEAM  ;D

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: