Notifications
Clear all

D-LINE Techniques

Page 2 / 3

Sharkbait
(@sharkbait)
Copper
Topic starter  

Well the next org is a 1 hr drive and not sure how they do things. This org is kind of my only option, so other than becoming the president and saying everyone run what you know not sure how to change that. We only have 4 teams, the youngest level is the only level with head coach turnover. I think at that level most,but not all, are new coaches and haven't put a lot of time into scheme. Dave, I get impression you have coached a long time and have your way of doing things that have been proven to work for you. I don't think most Dad coaches step up to coach 6-7 year olds with that same experience. While this season we have started to develop a manual for our offense to reference, I have not started to put together a defensive manual yet. I hope to be able to put it together to have available for new coaches. That being said I have 4 kids, am self employed and am learning new stuff every day, so it takes a while. I did not choose the Wing T or the 4-2-5, we need to get Coach JC to pipe in on why they choose it. Having no experience at tackle coaching, I had no system that I prefered so I was fine with them telling me what to run. I bet if I had been running a system for the last 20 years, I probably would have had more leeway. . When I found out there was no head coach,  I volunteered and started doing my research and when August 1st came around,  knew it well enough for the age level. That being said they did have a terribly drawn up playbook that they offered. By then I had already done the research on my own. Would a training clinic with reference materials handed out have been better, yes. Was it something I could change at the time, no. Am I going to not let my 3 boys play football for their local team because of that, no. First year HC 9-0, second year joined by Coach JC, became the AC, 12-0 D-1 title, regional co-champs. Now new PW change for us I get to learn under Jake 1 more year.  So it was not perfect but it is working out. Now back to techniques!!

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

We really only mandate the offense. I’m fine w/ any defense that’s sound. Heck, i’d be fine w/ a different offense too if the coach really knew it well. But every new coach just wants to come in & run their HS playbook & a cookie cutter 5-3.

4-2-5 we chose so we could blitz more, be more flexible, & have a built in spread defense should we need it. Mainly it was the flexibility. 

Fwiw, we do have a VERY extensive defensive playbook on the hudl account. 6 different coverages, probably 50 blitz packages. We used to hand this stuff out, but found it often overwhelmed people.

I know i’m def more of a hands on, in person teacher. Creating a step by step manual is just a very daunting task for me. I’m not good w/ PP or excel or any of that stuff. Every time I start to create something I just get completely frustrated & overwhelmed.

Part of the problem is how obsessive I am.  I think “well I have to show the exact footwork & head placement for every player on every play. Otherwise anything I give them will be worthless.” And to do that w/ these programs that aren’t built for it, it’s just a monumental task. I’d much rather just do a clinic & show everyone.

Damn near every playbook i’ve ever seen handed out, is just a waste of paper. I have a very clear vision of what a useful source material would look like, I just don’t have the time, patience, or knowhow to create it.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

When i help other teams and coach says i wanna run a 5-3, i say sure, and put in "green bay" or my teams 5-1 package  with a base and monster call and it all works out on the end. These teams are young too ages 7-9. Dont need very much.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We really only mandate the offense.

Which is fine, as long as you support the coach who needs to learn it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Well the next org is a 1 hr drive and not sure how they do things.

--Yep, the next org could have the same stupid set up.

the youngest level is the only level with head coach turnover. I think at that level most,but not all, are new coaches and haven't put a lot of time into scheme.

--True enough.  But I still don't understand mandating a scheme but not training a coach in that scheme.

I don't think most Dad coaches step up to coach 6-7 year olds with that same experience.

--Agree, 100%.  The youngest group I coached was 7-9s.  I was only in my second year of coaching when I started there.  However, I ended up coaching that age group for five years.

While this season we have started to develop a manual for our offense to reference, I have not started to put together a defensive manual yet. I hope to be able to put it together to have available for new coaches.

--That's a noble task.  Good luck with it.  Are you going to model it after any particular install book or video?  Are you using another coach's material as a reference point?

That being said I have 4 kids, am self employed and am learning new stuff every day, so it takes a while.

--Of course it does.  Learning a new scheme takes time.  Learning how to teach it can take even longer.

I did not choose the Wing T or the 4-2-5, we need to get Coach JC to pipe in on why they choose it.

--Yeah.  What's up with that, Jake?

Having no experience at tackle coaching, I had no system that I preferred so I was fine with them telling me what to run.

--That's fine.  But how did you learn how to run it?

When I found out there was no head coach,  I volunteered and started doing my research and when August 1st came around,  knew it well enough for the age level. That being said they did have a terribly drawn up playbook that they offered. By then I had already done the research on my own.

--Yes, but you sound like you're more of a go-getter.  If you don't have the answer, you go and find it.  Thus, why you're on this site.  I've seen your posts and questions.  You're definitely not sitting on your hands until August 1.

First year HC 9-0, second year joined by Coach JC, became the AC, 12-0 D-1 title, regional co-champs. Now new PW change for us I get to learn under Jake 1 more year.  So it was not perfect but it is working out.

--Well Jake's the best reference point you could have.  Lean on him and you'll be fine.  And good luck with the manual.  If you can help other coaches avoid tripping over themselves, then your time is well spent.  I admire what you're doing.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Creating a step by step manual is just a very daunting task for me. I’m not good w/ PP or excel or any of that stuff. Every time I start to create something I just get completely frustrated & overwhelmed.

--I get it.  There's only one Jack Gregory.

Part of the problem is how obsessive I am.

--You're obsessive?  lol. If we ever have a chance to sit down, I'll show you what obsessive looks like.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Obsessive, hang out with Jeff Miret for a minute or two. I hope he gets back into coaching someday.

Sharkbait, you are very lucky to have Jake as a mentor. He is one of the better youth coaches out there.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Obsessive, hang out with Jeff Miret for a minute or two. I hope he gets back into coaching someday.

Sharkbait, you are very lucky to have Jake as a mentor. He is one of the better youth coaches out there.

It’s a gift & a curse!

I’d love to someday create something I could easily share w/ everyone. I’m just not gonna waste my time on something that will be shit.

Sk until I find someone to do it for me, or I learn how to do all the tech stuff quickly & efficiently, I’m just going to have to keep showing people in person.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

It’s a gift & a curse!

I’d love to someday create something I could easily share w/ everyone. I’m just not gonna waste my time on something that will be shit.

Sk until I find someone to do it for me, or I learn how to do all the tech stuff quickly & efficiently, I’m just going to have to keep showing people in person.

Make videos if you don't feel comfortable with print.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Make videos if you don't feel comfortable with print.

Like a chalk talk youtube series? That’s a good idea. I could def do that.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Like a chalk talk youtube series? That’s a good idea. I could def do that.

Similar to what Tito is doing with his I stuff on YouTube. You could also do videos of you doing demonstrations on the field. Similar to Clark's install videos.

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold

Similar to what Tito is doing with his I stuff on YouTube. You could also do videos of you doing demonstrations on the field. Similar to Clark's install videos.

Which are golden by the way. No offense to Tito because I really appreciate all the effort that he put into those videos, but I much prefer watching coaching rather than a chalk talk. And Clark does both!

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Which are golden by the way. No offense to Tito because I really appreciate all the effort that he put into those videos, but I much prefer watching coaching rather than a chalk talk. And Clark does both!

To be fair it is in the middle of winter where Tito lives and I wouldn't go outside either, lol.

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold

To be fair it is in the middle of winter where Tito lives and I wouldn't go outside either, lol.

You probably couldn't hear him over the howling blizzard winds anyway.

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

You probably couldn't hear him over the howling blizzard winds anyway.

Exactly.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: