defending the swing...

Notifications
Clear all

defending the swinging gate

durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
Topic starter  

We run a 5-3 and are facing a team in a tournament that will run the gate.Anyone ever face it? if so what did you find the best way to defend it?

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

R

The first key is using your DE's to come in like couple of whako manics and force the issue with the QB....run / pass. Doesn't even matter if they make tackles. The QB must be uncomfortable every snap thinking he is going to die.

The second key is communicating to your MLB that the Center is eligible or ineligible. Put that on your coverage guys to the weak side....they should have a code word they can yell to the MLB so he can play run or pass without trying to figure out stuff.

The last key is dont be thinking that you have to man up on their OL. To get the football behind them takes too much time so dont waste players playing in the "box". Keep as many second level defenders in a line from sideline to sideline as possible. Anything but Cover 0 is futile. If they have the balls to run this they have the speed to get it done so reduce the space each defender must defend.

Happy Hunting !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Mike, what if they run Fly sweep to the gate side?  It will get to that gate and if you have too few numbers your in trouble.  But i do agree, it doesn't have to be man for man.

That said, i refuse to give any advice on how to defend it until you tell me what they do out of it.  If they can effectively run an option game out of it, it's a nightmare.  If their QB has great speed and arm strength it gets even worse.... Now that i'm saying this i remember why were installing the Gate this week.  ;D

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Mike, what if they run Fly sweep to the gate side?  It will get to that gate and if you have too few numbers your in trouble.  But i do agree, it doesn't have to be man for man.

That said, i refuse to give any advice on how to defend it until you tell me what they do out of it.  If they can effectively run an option game out of it, it's a nightmare.  If their QB has great speed and arm strength it gets even worse.... Now that i'm saying this i remember why were installing the Gate this week.  ;D

W

Oh there is all kinds of goofy stuffy you can do and why I call it Funky.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
Topic starter  

R

The first key is using your DE's to come in like couple of whako manics and force the issue with the QB....run / pass. Doesn't even matter if they make tackles. The QB must be uncomfortable every snap thinking he is going to die.

The second key is communicating to your MLB that the Center is eligible or ineligible. Put that on your coverage guys to the weak side....they should have a code word they can yell to the MLB so he can play run or pass without trying to figure out stuff.

The last key is dont be thinking that you have to man up on their OL. To get the football behind them takes too much time so dont waste players playing in the "box". Keep as many second level defenders in a line from sideline to sideline as possible. Anything but Cover 0 is futile. If they have the balls to run this they have the speed to get it done so reduce the space each defender must defend.

Happy Hunting !

Mahonz, Thanks coach is very helpful,i have seen it before but never had to defend it,My older son face the same program but at 7th grade ran it with success,his coaches weren,t prepared.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Anyone ever face it?

--Yes.  A long time ago.  

if so what did you find the best way to defend it?

--Depends on their variation.  What we saw was a Center (surrounded by no one) with a QB in Gun.  We put two pass-rushers on either side of their Center and sacked the QB when the ball was snapped to him.  They didn't try it anymore after that.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Thats what i seen a couple of week ago with 1 wideout.Thanks for the advise coaches.Oh the center can he be eligibale?

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Thanks coaches that's some good advise.I think I got it.

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
Topic starter  

So the center is the emlos and the line is to the right of him,you can have a slot to his left? correct?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

So the center is the emlos and the line is to the right of him,you can have a slot to his left? correct?

You can have a back anywhere in the backfield you want, but if there's no end or even flanker outside him, why are you calling him a slotback?

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
Topic starter  

You can have a back anywhere in the backfield you want, but if there's no end or even flanker outside him, why are you calling him a slotback?

Thanks coach, Oh i was talking to one of the assit about our ACE formation while posting just never thought about it.  😛

ReplyQuote
Share: