Defensive prioritie...

Notifications

Defensive priorities  

RSS

Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
August 19, 2018 2:38 pm  

The last few seasons I’ve coached we have always emphasized to our team that team that the purpose of the defense is to prevent the other team from scoring. Nothing revolutionary there.  That’s the way most coaches teach their defense and it’s the way I was coached as well.

This season we’re trying something different by emphasizing turnovers.  We’ve had some success with it. In two scrimmage games with two different teams we had 3 takeaways in 10 plays. 

I feel like we’re on to something here and I’d like to ask what are you favorite drills that you do to emphasize taking the ball away from the offense? 

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
August 19, 2018 2:52 pm  

B

We emphasize:

Tackling

Running to the ball

Turnovers

We have several drills we use:

Rip & Strip

Punch

All involve the second man in.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
August 19, 2018 4:25 pm  

B

We emphasize:

Tackling

Running to the ball

Turnovers

We have several drills we use:

Rip & Strip

Punch

All involve the second man in.

Joe
[/quote

THIS ^^^^^

First man in Makes the tackle all others go for the ball.  I can tell you that if you teach them to fight for the ball under the pile (Whose Ball) the Zebras might just give it to you if your squad is the one handing him the Ball.  Stress 11 Hats to the ball  GANG TACKLE!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 19, 2018 11:03 pm  

I feel like we’re on to something here

You are on to something.  That's the single biggest point of emphasis for me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 20, 2018 6:02 am  

Our grids on tuesdays are turnover focusef
Eta 15 min

3 reps of each
- fumble recovery (cover)
- fumble scoop and score
- int
- form fit and strip 1v1
- second man in strip  2v1
- tomahawk from behind (jog)
- upper cut from behind (jog)

We add random "fumbles" in all tackling drills. Tackle a bag in form... random ball comes out.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 20, 2018 5:58 pm  

The purpose of defence is to get the ball back. It is literally the object of the game, the ball. I usually give this little talk right before doing Whose Ball, especially the first time. We really emphasize how important having the ball is. We play defence to get the ball back, we tackle to get the ball back. We want to spend as much of the game as possible with the ball.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 21, 2018 10:21 am  

I’d like to ask what are you favorite drills that you do to emphasize taking the ball away from the offense?

This one's more of a skill than a drill.  It's for use in a 1-on-1 tackle.

After you have the ballcarrier wrapped & stopped, loosen the grip of your arm on the ball side.  You'll need to withdraw that hand part way to give yourself enough slack for this move: to chop down repeatedly w your elbow on the ball.

To those of you for whom loosening one's grip is anathema, think of it as in wrestling when you have control of the opponent but need to work to improve your position for a pin.  That always involves sliding one hand or forearm off its position.  Is it risky?  Yes, but think of the potential reward.  Besides, you should have a 2nd tackler arrive soon.

Lots of people practice having the 2nd tackler strip the ball, but it's often ineffective because by then the ball might be either dead or tucked away more tightly.  If you start the process of loosening the ball by the 1st tackler, I think you can be more effective.

Of course once the ball's on the ground (if it's not an outright steal), you still need the skill of recovering it.

Don't bother w a tip drill for pass coverage.  The chances of your players improving their skill at reacting to a tipped ball in the time you have to practice it are so slight as to not be worth it.  Just expect them to develop this skill as part of general pass receiving & defense.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 26, 2018 11:35 am  

The last few seasons I’ve coached we have always emphasized to our team that team that the purpose of the defense is to prevent the other team from scoring. Nothing revolutionary there.  That’s the way most coaches teach their defense and it’s the way I was coached as well.

This season we’re trying something different by emphasizing turnovers.  We’ve had some success with it. In two scrimmage games with two different teams we had 3 takeaways in 10 plays. 

I feel like we’re on to something here and I’d like to ask what are you favorite drills that you do to emphasize taking the ball away from the offense?

Turnovers are nice and coaching kids to go after turnovers tends to lead to more aggressive play, which leads to more turnovers.  Especially in youth and sub-varsity ball.  There are some turnover circuits that I've seen top college defenses do and you can probably find video of them on YouTube.  When I was coaching LBs years ago we used to run a scoop and score drill with LBs, as well as throw them some easy INTs when working on zone drops.  We'd also drill stripping the ball by punching it out from behind or ripping it out as the second man to fit on a tackle when the ball carrier was already wrapped up.

Beyond that, we'd work it with the whole team by intentionally throwing some interceptions or fumble the ball during team or pass skelly (we had a coach as our scout team QB) to work on returning these things for yards and TDs.

I prefer to make the top defensive priorities into things we can coach every single day and on every single play: gap responsibility, attack blocks with leverage, pursue with leverage (not the same thing), play our assignments and responsibilities properly and with 100% focus and effort (ie: run to the ball but don't just sprint to the ball if your job is cutback or BCR), use good techniques, and tackle low with good leg drive.

It's a little more intricate and complicated than saying "we want to keep them from scoring" or "we want X number of turnovers and to give up no more than Y number of points" but it's stuff we can control.  I feel like if we do those things well, we're going to have good team defense and play well as a unit.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 27, 2018 1:09 pm  

This one's more of a skill than a drill. 

—Only if you don’t drill it.

It's for use in a 1-on-1 tackle.

—And a 2-on-1 drill.  And a 3-on-1 drill.  And in our drills, as Nigel Tufnel says, we go “up to eleven.”

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
August 27, 2018 2:12 pm  

Some great ideas re forcing turnovers I'd also add Whose Ball?! Nothing more frustrating on D than getting the ball on the ground only to allow the O to get it back.

Work ball skills in coverage drills. In addition to the usual coverage landmarks & responsibilities, drill making a play on the ball, making the "Oskie" call (or whatever call you make) and the others turn into blockers.

The drill possibilities are endless the key is that you emphasize and coach it. Other thing is make sure they understand 1st man in is 100% tackler and Joe gave some great drills for understanding HOW to force fumbles in diff situations which is key.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
August 27, 2018 5:08 pm  

You really need to make sure that you use those ball strip drills often. After we teach the drils, I will use them in Form & Fit tackle drills.  First tackler fits up. Tries to put the BC on the ground.  2nd tackler jumps in and tries whatever he can to strip the football.  One method that I like that isn't mentioned is to have the 2nd tackler just tackle the football.  It's a punch.  But, instead of punching the ball the defender punches above the ball and drags the foobtall to the ground with all of his weight. I also use them in angle tackle drills after I feel that the players are proficient at angle tackles. But, proficient still doesn't equal 100% success. We teach a tackler to drive back any RB that he failed to put into the ground. So, if the tackler can't get the RB down immediately, instead of watching them twist & turn I send a 2nd tackler to go get OUR ball.
When we punch the football we also try to pull the BC's elbow outward.  When we tackle the football we try to get both arms wrapped around the ball and drag and twist. 

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
August 27, 2018 7:19 pm  

Gents: 

Emphasis is on Making the Tackle!  First man in wraps up, grabs cloth!  Second guy, and subsequent others, looks for the ball!  I cant tell you how many times I see kids get there and play tug of war with the ball while, a good back, keeps churning up filed for 7 yards.  All drills are good but ensuring the tackle is most important.  jmho

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: