Page 2 / 2
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 9, 2020 12:59 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @coyote

FWIW, we've only seen the 303 alignment twice - 2 different teams, 2 yrs apart in post season tournament play (our Rec League's "all-stars" team).  Both times all three pounded the snot out of our center.  They had no other purpose than to pummel our kid, force fumbles, bad snaps and intimidate our Center.   Worked both times, the second time (different kid) our Center refused to go back out after the half. 

Then you had the wrong kid at Center.  We work our Center harder than anyone else on our team, simply because we know there are youth defenses out there who are going to try to blow up the Center (whether through a Nose, Mike, or double team).  That's why he's our team captain.  That's why he makes the call at the coin toss.  That's why he's our speaking captain.  I coach my Center the way most coaches coach their Quarterback.  At our practices, I make sure he takes on the biggest and the baddest and once he's handled those, we'll double team him with our biggest and baddest.

--Dave

Some times, the wrong kid is all you have. After the last 2 seasons, I am convinced that the C is the most important single player on the team. You can get by with "meh" QB. 2 positions I refuse to coach (for the time being) are C and force defender. I just need a break to regain my sanity.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 9, 2020 2:45 pm  

FWIW, we've only seen the 303 alignment twice - 2 different teams, 2 yrs apart in post season tournament play (our Rec League's "all-stars" team).  Both times all three pounded the snot out of our center.

How could the DTs do that from there?  B gap is a long way from the snapper.  Did both guards pull?

You sure you're not confusing a 3-0-3 with a 1-0-1?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
October 9, 2020 2:59 pm  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

It's really astonishing how many teams we played and have left on the schedule that run an eagle front. I'm curious as to why most teams favor this look. 

Any of you eagle front guys  from 5-14 yr she groups please voice your thoughts. 

Eagle front is a 3-0-3 look. Tackles outside should of the guards with a nose 

Our base is 4-0-4 but we use 3-0-3 bear as a goaline defense.  It keeps linemen off of and frees up the middle linebackers to flow to the ball.  It is strong against ISO plays which we see a lot.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
October 9, 2020 3:00 pm  

@gumby_in_co

You can get by with no QB but you always need a dependable center.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 9, 2020 3:48 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

@gumby_in_co

You can get by with no QB but you always need a dependable center.

True.  When I ran Cisar's UBSW about 10 years ago, we had exactly 1 capable QB (or whatever you call him nowadays). When he went down, we just went down the roster running BB wedge.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
October 9, 2020 4:09 pm  

Then you had the wrong kid at Center.

Those were 'all-star' kids, neither of whom we coached during the regular season.   The board & coaches voted the kids in.  Funny thing, all the coach's kids and the board's kids made the team.  It was a coach's kid who refused to play the 2nd half. 

FWIW, the prior two seasons, our Center was a small kid who didn't know he was small.  His parents, a Biker married a Farm girl ...  they farm all day, and ride / work on Bikes all night.  Their boys have the best of both worlds.   Work hard, play harder.  Kid's fearless and a real spark plug - great attitude, we miss him, and hate that we couldn't draft his brother this yr (gone before we made our 1st pick).  This yr's Center was the HC's son.  He's not very athletic, but has the down block down solid, and is basically made out of whale bone and saddle leather.  Takes it better than he dishes it out, and he's been adequate and bit more.  He didn't make the all-star team, tho. 

I love a good clean hit, big hits, the kind that result in blowing snot bubbles... I hate deliberate attempts to pummel a kid into submission with a 3 on 1 designed to do nothing but beat the kid into the dirt.  Couple yrs ago, watched a TV show about youth league (in Cali?) 1st episode coach told his nose tackle to jump the count and blow up the Center, it would cost them an off-side, but the coach said it would be worth it if it intimidated the Center.   Turned the program off at that point.   

Ours is a rough and tumble game, a bumps and bruises game, its tough enough without that stuff.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 9, 2020 8:59 pm  

Then you had the wrong kid at Center.

Those were 'all-star' kids, neither of whom we coached during the regular season.   The board & coaches voted the kids in.  Funny thing, all the coach's kids and the board's kids made the team.  It was a coach's kid who refused to play the 2nd half. 

--Welp, somebody had the wrong kid at Center.

Couple yrs ago, watched a TV show about youth league (in Cali?) 1st episode coach told his nose tackle to jump the count and blow up the Center, it would cost them an off-side, but the coach said it would be worth it if it intimidated the Center.   Turned the program off at that point. 

--Problem is, you can't coach the teams you play against.  And if that's what they're teaching their kids to do, then you better be prepared for it when/if you play them.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
OC
October 9, 2020 10:29 pm  
Posted by: @coachsteel

--Did you have an adjustment?

--Dave

Yes, we kept our front side guard home to double the Nose and put in a sniffer back to kick out instead.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
October 10, 2020 2:43 pm  

-Welp, somebody had the wrong kid at Center.

Yep, put in a different kid since the C wouldn't go out on the field, went to SAB, kicked out with the FB, more like a Wing T 30 series but both OGs stayed in.  Did finally score in the late 3rd Q and again in the 4th, but the game was out of hand by then.

It was a challenging All-star group, the OLine were mostly from "just block the guy in front of you" teams, and resistant to change.  Fortunately we had our own OG's that season, but the C, and both OT's were marginal at best.   Used the 2nd kid at center for the last game.  1st kids' parents were pretty ticked.  But that's the way it goes sometimes. 

This post was modified 1 week ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: