Notifications
Clear all

Gator Tackle

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I'm looking for some step by step instructions on the gator tackle. Thanks!

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I've seen more players injured from that approach than any other tackle.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

If thats the tackle from behind where they roll Ive only seen 1 injury from it but it was pretty horrific.. BOTH our backs ankles were broke at the same time when a kid tackled him like that

I was almost hoping he'd pass out from the pain he was writhing so bad

but if thats what it is Ive seen it a million times, but that was the only injury I can recall

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I've seen more players injured from that approach than any other tackle.

--Dave

I've done it on bags.  One player runs down the sideline holding a bag, while the other gator rolls them.  I have mixed feelings on it.  Good for DB's.  Not something i want my LB's to do. 

As far as explaining it, i'm not exactly sure how w/ out just showing you.  It's exactly how it looks though if that helps...

I don't recomend practicing it on anything other than bags though.  I've never seen anyone get hurt on it, but i can easily see happening what Rich did.  It's an awkward landing.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

If thats the tackle from behind where they roll Ive only seen 1 injury from it but it was pretty horrific.

My description of the tackle is where a defender comes in low and gathers the leg(s) of a ball-carrier and proceeds to roll like a gator does when it has large prey in its jaws.  I've seen several knee/ligament injuries from this.  Our stilt-kicking approach comes from having a defender knock out the feet from under a ball-carrier but not to grab the leg and roll.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Here it is on YouTube:

On this one, the coach provides a pretty interesting "reason" that he teaches the gator roll.  Listen to him at the 33-second mark:

Gator roll gone bad.  The defender makes a clean tackle, then goes in to gator roll-mode and does some real damage:

Anyone here teach this?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

looks as bad as a horsecollar if you ask me

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Here it is on YouTube:

On this one, the coach provides a pretty interesting "reason" that he teaches the gator roll.  Listen to him at the 33-second mark:

Gator roll gone bad.  The defender makes a clean tackle, then goes in to gator roll-mode and does some real damage:

Anyone here teach this?

--Dave

Dave,

The irony of that one w/ the injury.  I went to a clinick where the LB coach taught the gator roll.  Guess who that LB coach was?  Yep, the LB's coach for CAL. 

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachQ
(@coachq)
Bronze

Here it is on YouTube:

Anyone here teach this?

--Dave

Wow Dave the kid that got hurt is from this area and his brother was on the sideline with the hoodie on. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I wonder if that last one was because of instruction or if it was because he was just an asshole. You had him down, then you rolled. That's obviously not what I'm looking to teach, nor would I need any instruction.

I just want to improve my corner's tackling on the sweep. We had a kid last year who was obviously using the gator roll, and he never missed. Other kids even started picking it up just from watching him. So we just let that sort of happen.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

You had him down, then you rolled. That's obviously not what I'm looking to teach

Yeah, but that's what a gator roll is; and what it can do.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

Gator roll is a wrestling move and should stay there.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Here it is on YouTube:

Anyone here teach this?

--Dave

Dave

We teach this for all pursuit angle tackles. We go forwards and backwards.

That first clip is from the Modern Day Tackling Presentation for Heads Up that is in the Download Section and has been discussed here this off season. I was happy it included Gator Rolling because at least I am familiar with that.

Is it dirty?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Odd, but I can't remember ever seeing a gator roll in rugby.  Lots of players grab legs, and as long as the tackler came in from his own feet and wasn't already on the ground waiting for the ballcarrier, it's legal, and would be legal to continue by rolling to twist the ballcarrier down, but I can't remember ever seeing it.  Maybe tacklers in that position are afraid of winding up on their back underneath a ruck.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

My description of the tackle is where a defender comes in low and gathers the leg(s) of a ball-carrier and proceeds to roll like a gator does when it has large prey in its jaws.  I've seen several knee/ligament injuries from this.  Our stilt-kicking approach comes from having a defender knock out the feet from under a ball-carrier but not to grab the leg and roll.

--Dave

DP -

Do you have video or a description if how you teach it ?

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Share: