Here is an 8 man De...

Notifications
Clear all

Here is an 8 man Defend this

CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

This week I face the best coach in the league and he is 2-0 as well.  The limited film I have on them shows them running a wide Beast set with only sweep right and flipped sweep left.  Here is what I have in mind:

.........C........B............B..............C

...........E............T........T...........E

.............T...G...C...G...T
.......................Q...........FB...TB

My ends are disciplined containers and we play fast and aggressive.  We are not allowed to be head up on the C and I can have 6 DL on the LOS.

Any thoughts?

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

We face the same play, we have seen it under center this year run by a poorly coached team. Next week we play a much better coached team and will see it from direct snap along with a few other things we have to review with the Smurfs (Motion, Passing, Kick out blocks by HB).

1.) Do they get their C/QB exchange off quickly? My experience so far is that at this age the under center exchange is slow.
2.) Are the wings Foot 2 Foot or do they have a split between them? I ask because what we are preparing for this week is really a Stretch type play, not a sweep. The QB reads the blocks by the wings and either cuts it up inside or if they seal the outside, heads to the sidelines.
3.) You say DE are containment. Are they an aggressive force @ outside hip of BC? (I am assuming so based on your comments).

We have basically run the same defense as you have described (except balanced each week). We are changing it up a bit to take advantage of our personal this week. We have a Safety type and we are putting him over the top to stop the big play.

What we have found this year is that on plays we are successful on Defense usually the following occurs: We get massive penetration or push from the DL. I have 2 big, strong and athletic kids @ the DT positions. On plays that go bad, usually the DT decides (on his own) to either stunt, usually vacating the hole the offense runs through for a TD or in one head scratching moment literally drop 7 yards into zone coverage.  They are 5 and 6 year olds, some of this is going to happen, one of my DT turned to me on 4th and 1 game on the line last week and looked right at me and asked if we were tackling or blocking, this is 58 minutes in to a 60 minute game in the 7th week of practice/games.

So first keys are penetration by DL and the DE defeating his block and forcing the QB to spill it outside or stop and cut it back under.

One thing about running this under center. If you DE is aggressive and gets off the Ball the QB will have to move backwards to get to the corner. For me it's not really giving up the corner that I worry the most about, it's the cut back w/ the LB over pursuing, change of direction by 6 year old LB is tough.

I would widen the backside DE to at least 1 yard outside out of the Tackle/End. Not sure how you play them. Have to assume they have a counter or a boot out of this.

Some different way to defend it (I have drawn these up in the past but have not implemented them this year, still working on fundamentals and base this year).

.........C............B.......................C

.........E.......T.........T.........B...........E

.......................Q...........FB...TB

Roll a LB up over the Inside Wing. His job is to Stone the WING, this is personal dependent, he must be able to push the Inside Wing back into the sweep path and then shed block to come off inside, if he turns the QB inside then C filling from the outside and MLB from Inside out. Our backside CB are taught to CAP the runs AWAY.  This alignment should keep your play-side CB unblocked and makes it very tough to block your MLB (Center not going to get out to him. Tackle has a shot but depends on what they have there.

I would also move the Strong side CB inside of the DE (but I'm more concerned about the cut back not the sweep).

How we will align this week (X on the DL is our Beast of a DLman, he will flip to the B gap over the wings) we may also go ahead and try lining up both DT on the strong side of the formation with instructions to BULL rush the Guard and Tackle and disrupt the play:

.......................F
.....C....................B...............C

.........E..........T.........X..............E

...................................FB...TB
.......................Q

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I watched it a bit more on film and it really is the stretch play you describe.  The slot is about 2 yards outside the wing.  QB takes the snap and runs a deep sweep path looking for the hole.  Their snap is not particularly fast, even by 6U standards.  My DT will be instructed to maul the C and penetrate.

My D uses WT6 principles so my DE plays box and contain.  They are trained to get straight up the field as deep as the ball and then attack inside.  Backside DE pursues through the backfield.  The starters have done very well for us this year.  I align my LB over the outside down OL and have them attack down hill.  My C on playside react directly to the LOS until contain is confirmed and then fit under or over the DE as necessary.  Backside C has cover duty.

I may look into a 5-3 alignment as suggested but I have the horses to not need the deep S.  We tend to play on their side of the ball most of the game.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
Share: