Notifications
Clear all

How Important is Scouting?

Page 1 / 3

CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Topic starter  

How important is Scouting?  on being Competitive and Winning the big Show?

I know for me I became a much better coach when I started Scouting my opponents and also filming my own practices.  I do not think you can really coach Defense effectively at a high level if you are not Scouting.  What do you guys think?  How high up on the priority list of coaching duties is Scouting? 

I would love to hear your feedback and any Scouting trick and tips you might have. 

~ Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I thinking scouting is critical.

I want to break down our film to see where our flaws are. I miss much of that during the game.

I want to scout a good opponent to know their strengths and weaknesses so that we have a good plan going in, which includes adjustments. That will be in all aspects of the game.

If you want to win, you scout.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Every August when I get my game schedule I put together my scout schedule.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze

A goal for us this season is to start self scouting, filming our practices and games.

Scouting opponents poses some challenges here.  For those of you in leagues that play all the games on the same day, how do you handle scouting?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

A goal for us this season is to start self scouting, filming our practices and games.

Scouting opponents poses some challenges here.  For those of you in leagues that play all the games on the same day, how do you handle scouting?

Ours became easier because they have a league-wide film exchange.  Post yours up to HUDL and you get access to the rest of the league. Not perfect, but it does level the playing field a bit in at least getting the film.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Our league hired a dad to start filming all the games on Saturday's.  Hes been doing this about 6 years now.  He hires high school students to film the games for him and then he and his wife produce the film at home on Sunday and Monday.  He has about 4 deer blinds and 6 hd cameras.  We then download every Monday.  Your team can buy the team scout package and get every game in the age division each week so you can parents can review film and have for memories.  Pretty cool.  It has been so much easier than filming on your own.  My last youth football league had the same thing too. 

~ Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

We dont Scout, never have.  Too damned hard to find someone willing to travel to far off points to Film a 5th-8th Grade grade team in action.

We concentrate on executing our plays to the best of our ability and adjust from there.  I cant worry about what another team can do.  I can only worry about perfecting mine.

😉 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver

I think it's always better to scout than not and the higher you go in age bracket the more essential or helpful it is. it's kind of like taking a test with some cliff notes on the subject vs not having any you are bound to get a few more of the questions right. 

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Absolutely critical. Not just your opponent, but yourself. In youth, proper scouting can help you beat teams you have no business beating athletically. Without self scouting you will never see what you need to improve upon.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

I coach at the 8-9 year old level.  Not may coaches scout at that level in my league, so I do.

It's one area where a little "coach hustle" can gain my kids an advantage. Heck, right now I'm watching/scouting all of our games against last year's top opponents. However, I have a family and a day job like most of you so I do NOT scout all opponents.  I'm thinking "bang for the buck", so I focus on:

1. Any teams new to the league that I'm not familiar with. We have two new teams this year, I will try my damnedest to get film on them before we play.

2. Week 1/2 opponents, to see if they have/are doing anything different from last year.  New coaches/new schemes, etc. We have a preseason tournament, so I make a point to watch our week 1 opponent there and maybe week 2 if I know I won't be able to get out to scout them on week 1.  It's not perfect, teams are still figuring themselves out, but it's better than nothing.  I'm not worried about the rest, too much changes from preseason to week 3.

3. After the first few weeks I can determine who merits my time to scout.  I won't waste time scouting a poor team, but I will do my best to make time to scout the better teams we will face.

4. Our league plays some games on Saturday night (if the team has lights) and some games on Sunday (no lights), so theoretically, I have an opportunity to scout somebody every week.  Unfortunately, the schedules don't always line up.  For example, my only opportunity to scout a week 9 opponent in person may be in week 2... not worth it in my mind since most teams change drastically in that time.

5. I have a good relationship with a couple coaches in the league.  Sometimes I can get recent film of next week's opponent without having to go there and film it myself.  Always take advantage of that if available.

I self scout our own team's game film every week.  Out of a 9 game schedule, it usually works out that I get to scout 3 or 4 of our opponents in person.  If I can't scout an opponent before we play, I don't sweat it. It's usually pretty easy to figure out a team's strengths and weaknesses quickly. But against the better teams, scouting done properly, does give my team an advantage.

The way I figure it, the kids are working hard, they deserve every advantage I can give them.  Plus who doesn't like to watch extra football games? 

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

"coach hustle"

BINGO! The type of coach who never fails to amuse me is the one who belittles me for scouting a (insert age here) team, but likes to scream at his kids that there is no walking on his football field.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
jcarbon2
(@jcarbon2)
Gold

Scouting is the great equalizer. I agree with all on this thread. It gives you an advantage and creates confidence. I go to extremes with it. To the point my players know the jersey number and name of each key player on the opposing team. We give them nicknames such as "The cat",  "the rabbit"  or "Lefty" to remind us of some tendency that player has. I tell my players that they will know the opponent better than he knows himself.  This translates into us playing faster. Mind you it is not uncommon to get a 10 page scouting report from me.  It will have the players name on it. He gets it Monday and must return it Thursday. You don't want to lose it, believe me.  It is fun to see my defense call out "The rabbit is here lets hunt" as they point to a particular player. 9/10 times that kid is intimidated. Coach gets in the fun as well with "bring me that wabbit!"

As far as self Scout, video never lies. I make sure to repeat that every week. We will see video of the last game on Monday. We will see every mistake and lack of effort so coach knows everything and you can't cheat the all knowing coach /video.

Expert in "BRAIN DEAD DEFENSE" and the "CAVEMAN SPREAD"

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

How important is Scouting?  on being Competitive and Winning the big Show?

I know for me I became a much better coach when I started Scouting my opponents and also filming my own practices.  I do not think you can really coach Defense effectively at a high level if you are not Scouting.  What do you guys think?  How high up on the priority list of coaching duties is Scouting? 

I would love to hear your feedback and any Scouting trick and tips you might have. 

~ Parker

On being competitive? Somewhat important. I think you can run offense well and be in a game, if it's a good scheme. Hopefully you can adjust to any surprises. If your defense is sound, it should work against whatever. Again, a well prepared coach can adjust. I'm not sure scouting will be the deciding factor between competitive and not.

On winning the big show? Critical. I don't think I've ever been in a championship game feeling like we're the more talented team. Half the playoff games we play, I think we have less talent, or at least they have a guy that we don't have a counter part to. To slay dragons, often as not, you need a secret weapon. I suck at coming up with those "magic" adjustments. Mahonz is a master of it. Seen it too many times to be a fluke and heard about countless other times from guys who know him. Some teams will be too good to successfully adjust after they have burned you.

Last season was my son's last year of HS and club sports, so I wasn't as available for scouting as past years. Mahonz always scouts at least one game, but some days we have to scout multiple teams. Divide and conquer. Last Fall and Spring, other guys stepped up wonderfully. This Fall, my son has graduated and will be joining the coaching staff, so I will do a lot of scouting.

I used to go nuts with scout intel. Now, I limit it to fixing 2 things from last week and preparing for 2 things from our next opponent.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

To the point my players know the jersey number and name of each key player on the opposing team.

Something I need to improve on with scouting. I tend to scout the opposing coach and neglect learning the key players and substitutions. High on my list for this Fall. One of my pet peeves are these new "Oregon style" jerseys where it's hard to see a kid's number. Grey on white? Give me a break.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

I try to avoid scouting losing teams.  They often have stupid plays that can teach your "D" bad habits or they'll throw out what they're doing entirely and you've prepared for something else.  I figure if I just don't do anything they'll lose anyway.

Winning teams I always scout.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: