Notifications
Clear all

Is 8 in the box a thing of the past ?

Page 8 / 8

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Rockets

Trap takes any threat to the flats vs pure reading #2. It's how to stop Smash.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Rockets

Joe

Sssshhh! Smash is my favorite concept.

ReplyQuote
Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze

Rockets

Joe

Got it thanks! I just  read the article you posted as well and it's cleared up for me now.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Any update on a good time for a Skype session on Joe/Tito's 3-4? Maybe sometime between now and Christmas?

Between this stuff and working through the under front book someone recommended (link below) I want to build a larger defensive toolbox this off season.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1606790765/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Timeout, need to add more vocab words here. Sorry for lagging behind. TIA.

Please define:

2 man:
Trap:

2 man is just man coverage with help deep on both sides or safeties splitting the field.
Trap is the safeties really bailing and the corners play inside out playing force or support pending your terminology.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

OK so youre all saying my inside leverage at youth level is bad?  Just spit balling here, I use inside leverage to cut off the easy slants. I want the QB to use "Touch" to throw the outside routes. Especially the short ones.  Most I have seen struggle to put enough air under it to hit one over the CB.  I cant tell you how many Bubble Screens skip off the ground like the old AstroTurf one hopper from the SS to 1st base.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

OK so youre all saying my inside leverage at youth level is bad?  Just spit balling here, I use inside leverage to cut off the easy slants. I want the QB to use "Touch" to throw the outside routes. Especially the short ones.  Most I have seen struggle to put enough air under it to hit one over the CB.  I cant tell you how many Bubble Screens skip off the ground like the old AstroTurf one hopper from the SS to 1st base.

Inside leverage at any level is a good thing.

The sideline never misses a tackle.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

None of it is bad. inside, outside, head up, its all good. Just a matter of understanding, another way to skin a cat.
At the youth level why everybody is not playing hard inside leverage is way beyond me.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Leverage really depends on the coverage. It seems everyone has a different opinion which is best. The real key is to be consistent with you are doing & make sure they align correctly.

Joe 

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

That's always been my sense about it too, although I've seen successful youth defenders who gave up the inside.  The one good reason I've seen for aligning CB outside is to make a run read "thru" the receiver -- but then by the time you read "pass", you have some catching up to do.

Outs are not harder just for the passer, the receiver too has a tougher job on any kind of out route, when you consider his vision.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Leverage is totally dependent on the shell, C2 needs outside leverage to prevent an outside release to allow the safety to come over the top on a vertical. Any inside release is supposed to be covered by an under drop. Now, if you are talking a 1 high shell then inside leverage makes sense. Still some C3 guys believe CB's should be wider than the widest & deeper than the deepest.I agree it does present problems on the slant. Again it really depends on the defense.

Joe

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

With the spread becoming more and more common in youth football are the days of True 8 in the box defense's done ? With that said can can the 3-4 or 4-3 become a mainstay in the modern youth game ?

Counting the box is a thing of the past. Only concern yourself with the number of safeties. Because your numbers in the box depend on mine. If I align in 23 personnel, 8 in the box is light and I should run for days. If I align in 00 personnel, 8 in the box means you aren't even covering all of my wr's.

2 high=Run the ball
1 high (the old 8 in the box)=Do whatever
0 high=Throw the ball

Obviously you have to have certain plays to throw against 2 high late in the game or on third down (I like dagger and sail), and run plays for when you are trying to eat the clock and see cover 0 (speed option is always good, inside trap unless you see double 1's or bear, power read are all plays that you can't be outnumbered on).

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share: