Notifications

Reading Eyes of the Offensive Line  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
February 20, 2020 5:52 pm  

@coachdp @gumby_in_co I was just trying to make that down block hard, but that gets me thinking, I guess you could easily line another lineman head up on the tackle and have them slant outward. Now you technically have a gap sound defense, and your DT is unblocked. If the splits were tiny then this probably wouldn't work as well as if they weren't.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 20, 2020 9:38 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co
Posted by: @coach-kyle

@gumby_in_co it seems like any competent coach would scout your team and immediately recognize what they need to do against you.

In my experience, there aren't any magical techniques or alignments that work against anything. It really comes down to Jimmies vs Joes. One way to get in your own way is to allow a below average to average defender become a factor. Best way to do that is to not block him. By pointing, we eliminate that and force their studs to do their jobs. Then, we come up with a plan to block their studs.

Forcing a defense to do something different to stop us is something we look forward to.

You've piqued my interest though. If you know for a fact that we are blocking Inside Gap, Man On, Linebacker, what do you do differently? 

Slant DL outside, taking the blocker in a direction he doesn't want to go.  If adjacent OL are following a GOL/GOB rule and adjacent DL slant outside, chances are good that some of the time one gets double teamed and the other is free, or one just gets left alone.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 20, 2020 11:09 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I've seen defensive players try to outsmart our OL, but I think they are doing this on their own.

Which is interesting because kids are trying to outsmart their opponent but their own coaches aren't. lol

I think maybe 1% of football coaches watch the LOS, so most of them have no idea to begin with.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
February 20, 2020 11:22 pm  

Count me in the 1%.  I am always looking at the LOS when I watch Football.  99.5% of the time, if you win the Trench War, you win the game.  

3.5 yards per carry (play). I wont yawn at 400 yards of Ground and Pound!   its like a Symphony!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 20, 2020 11:25 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

Slant DL outside, taking the blocker in a direction he doesn't want to go.  If adjacent OL are following a GOL/GOB rule and adjacent DL slant outside, chances are good that some of the time one gets double teamed and the other is free, or one just gets left alone.

Long sticking is what stymied us for a couple of seasons. In practice, Mahonz throws everything at us. If it works, we get more of it. One day, it was long stick (2 or more full techniques) and following it with a spiking LB. I was getting frustrated trying to figure it out, so I was watching one of my more aggressive guards chase a 2 tech, so I told him no to chase him if he took off. The kid wasn't dumb, so he asked me, "So who do I block, then?" More out of frustration than anything, I threw out a sarcastic answer. "Just chill out. Somebody's bound to show up."  Boom. I figured out how to block long stick stunts on accident. Over time, I put some structure to it. It's a special call that we use if we recognize long stickers. We just tell them to "slow play" it. We might eat a couple until the slow-witted o-line coach figures out what's going on, or the grumpy HC sees it and tells the o-line coach what's going on, but once we figure it out, slow-playing with mega splits is very effective against defenses who like to run 5 yards out of their way to try and trick us. A long sticking DL usually doesn't make tackles. In fact, I don't even think that's the goal. It's to open up big holes for LBs to run through. That plan falls apart when the LB runs 4-5 yards to find an OG waiting for him.

Haven't seen it yet out of the 2nd or 3rd grade opponents, but Mahonz will do it in practice to keep us on our toes. The younger O-linemen seem to "get it" faster than the older kids. If your blocks seem to be in a hurry to go somewhere else, everybody take a second and let them get there. Someone will put themselves in your way eventually. 

But to the point, we just don't chase. If a DL tries to cross our face, we pick him up pretty easily unless he goes backward first. If he goes backward, we don't chase him.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: