Notifications

KOTS helped fire up my 8u team  

RSS

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
September 19, 2019 8:12 pm  

At the advice of a mentor, I'm posting this out here. Hopefully, it helps someone...

Throughout preseason camp, my kids were playing physical football. In both practice and scrimmages versus the other team in our city, our guys hit hard and made tackles.

When we played in the Jamboree, we played a team from another city. Put simply: we got our butts kicked. Sure, I had to move my players around due to an injury, but 4-5 of the guys on defense wouldn't hit. At the next practice, I pulled a few kids aside and asked them what was wrong. They answered that they were too small to tackle some of the bigger running backs.

At that point, I remembered CoachDP's post about KOTS (Kick Out the Stilts). Since my son remembered the video (link below), I had him demonstrate how to do this on me. As soon as I hit the ground, the entire team was like, "I want to do that, coach". While most of the kids didn't use the technique afterwards, it fired up every single player on the sideline. As a result, our defense is playing a lot better. We even generated a scoop and score tonight on a big hit from my 48-pound cornerback.

This something that I'm going to start teaching from Day 1!

Here's a link to the thread on KOTS:

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php?topic=28334.0

And here's the video (at the 3:21 mark)

Coach Terry

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 20, 2019 5:19 am  

I pulled a few kids aside and asked them what was wrong. They answered that they were too small to tackle some of the bigger running backs.

Youth players will allow their eyeballs to determine how good they believe an opponent is.  ("They're bigger than us!")  As a result, I've seen plenty of young ones over the years believe they were at a disadvantage before ever stepping on the field....until they're given what they believe to be an advantage, or secret weapon or whatever you want to call it.  When we developed KOTS years ago using the Slip & Slide, we were able to teach many players (even the bigger ones) how to get low and protect yourself while making physical tackles.  Bigger guys liked using KOTS as well, because it allowed them to send ball-carriers flying through the air.  I took the technique with us to high school and continued to have success with it there.  Of course, you'll never find it in a USAFootball video because they think that regardless of how small the kid is, he'll tackle a bigger kid if he's taught the USAF way.....and once in a while, they're correct.  My job was to get all of my kids comfortable with tackling.  And developing KOTS helped us in that regard, to a great degree.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 20, 2019 11:24 am  

You also have to get the parents involved and make sure they are not "changing the kids mind" about being smaller.
The "Poor you, you're so small having to take on all those big kids" works at the home but it doesn't give them a fighting chance on the field if they are already making excuses for why they cant.

I tell the parents verbiage like that will hurt not only the player but the whole team.

I will take a small younger brother over a big first child anyday

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 20, 2019 11:33 am  

You also have to get the parents involved and make sure they are not "changing the kids mind" about being smaller.
The "Poor you, you're so small having to take on all those big kids" works at the home but it doesn't give them a fighting chance on the field if they are already making excuses for why they cant.

Which is why we started letting the bigger kids learn it.  So that it would no longer be a “little kids drill.”
When the small guys saw the bigger ones using it successfully, they understood they were tackling “just like the big guys.”

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach

ReplyQuote
Share: