Notifications
Clear all

Learning How to Gameplan

MSU Spartans
(@msu-spartans)
Copper
Topic starter  

Coaches,

I am asking for your help on a central and fundamental part of the game.

I know, as well as other coaches a lot about the game when it comes to schemes,etc.However, many coaches don't know how to go
about actually preparing to play an opponent.So, I want to sort of get together a "How To" or a "Basics" guide to planning for a game.

I know there are some obvious steps you want to take (speaking as a defenisve coach):

1.Find out what offense the opponent runs

2.Find out what plays they run

3.Observe and take note of tedencies or ticks of the offense (with 1 back a flare screen,etc.)

I feel there is so much more that goes into it than what I've listed.Any help with this would be helpful as I would like to give this to some youth coaches, thanks.

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Game planning can be easy. It is adjusting your game plan that is hard for me.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Here are two things not on your list:

1) Ask for a show of hands on Monday for WHO won't be at next Saturday's game.  You'd be surprised at the hands that can go up.  Little Johnny's going elk hunting with dad.  Freddy Fudpucker is visiting his grandparents.  Orville Reddenbacher switches child custody with his divorced parents that weekend and will be on the North Slopes of Alaska.  Most times the kids get out of going, but it's nice to know this on Monday versus discovering it on Saturday.

2) Never scout a LOSING team.  If they have lost all their games, they know that.  And there's going to a lot of grumbling go on at that team and with pressure for change.  And they might just change what they do the game you face them.  If you want to make a BAD team look GOOD just prepare for what they used to run and have them run different.  While you'll eventually probably slog your way to victory, it's likely at halftime their kids are happy and your kids ain't.  So just spend 15 minutes on what they do and then go back to defending the basics.  If they don't change, you'll beat them.  If they do change, you'll beat them. Winning teams never change what they do.  But losing teams?  Why not?  What do they have to lose?  So expect the UNEXPECTED from a losing team.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Since we cant scout we plan to face the offense they run.  Spread, Wing, DW, I.  I dont spend a lot of time with plays but tendencies of these offenses.  Our league is all about how you adjust if you want to be in the game. 

Offensively we play our plays and run those designed to be successful where the Bubbles are that the defense offers.  I love it when they line up 7 and 8 across or in the box, they get gashed. 

😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Since we cant scout we plan to face the offense they run.  Spread, Wing, DW, I.  I dont spend a lot of time with plays but tendencies of these offenses.  Our league is all about how you adjust if you want to be in the game. 

Offensively we play our plays and run those designed to be successful where the Bubbles are that the defense offers.  I love it when they line up 7 and 8 across or in the box, they get gashed. 

😉

Why does your league not allow scouting?

ReplyQuote
MSU Spartans
(@msu-spartans)
Copper
Topic starter  

DumCoach,

Praise Jebus! You couldn't be anymore right.I have helped on youth staffs for 3 years.Anytime this happened, it irked me so bad.Most parents think "oh its just youth football, who cares?" but then the entire week,everyday, we have only 12 to practice with (happened many times my 3rd year there).

My league also does not allow scouting.If you have a family member on a youth team in another district, you have to notify the area official for that area/district that you are there attending the game.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

DumCoach,

Praise Jebus! You couldn't be anymore right.I have helped on youth staffs for 3 years.Anytime this happened, it irked me so bad.Most parents think "oh its just youth football, who cares?" but then the entire week,everyday, we have only 12 to practice with (happened many times my 3rd year there).

My league also does not allow scouting.If you have a family member on a youth team in another district, you have to notify the area official for that area/district that you are there attending the game.

I make sure to cover that before the season starts.  I'm very adament that i must be notified if the child is going to miss practice or a game.  The parents are usually pretty good about it...

As far as missing practice goes.  Any kid that misses two practices during the week, w/ out giving notice, will only get their minimum plays.  If a player has 3 unexcused absences, they don't get to play on gameday.... Since we put this policy in, we rarely ever have issues w/ it.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

2.Find out what plays they run

Watch the first play they run in the game.  That's their best "bread and butter" play and it will be their "Go to" play in short yardage to get the first down.  Defend that play on critical downs.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

Since we cant scout we plan to face the offense they run. 

When you can't scout I found I had two choices:

1) Run a one defense fits all approach.
2) Run multiple D's.

There may be a third choice but I never reached it.  I designed my DC46 and Killer Bee as a "one defense fits all" approach.  Others that do that include the Gambler, Jack's 6-3, JJ's 3-3 Stack, and Jr. Titan's 4-4.  To run multiple D's I used three calls.  One was for an even front and one was for an odd front.  Both used "even" techs so my third call went to all "odd" techs.  So, in three calls, I could give the offense three completely different looks.   

ReplyQuote
Share: