Notifications
Clear all

Little Help

Page 1 / 2

CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver
Topic starter  

We've struggled mightily on defense this season.  I'd like to blame it on the fact that we can't practice team defense very much due to only having 17 kids on the roster BUT the team that has only allowed 6 points in 2 years only has 16-17 kids on their roster.

We've tried to run the Wide Tackle 6 with mixed results.  Regardless, we now play 2 teams that live and die with the sweep.  We have a bye week so I have 4 padded practices and 2 unpadded practices to install something designed to stop the sweep.

In your opinion, what's the best simple defense to stop the sweep?

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

The Killer Bee! Seriously.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

It might be helpful if you elaborated on your defensive struggles.

Missing tackles? Bad pursuit? Can't get off blocks?  Players blowing their assignments?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We've struggled mightily on defense this season.  I'd like to blame it on the fact that we can't practice team defense very much due to only having 17 kids on the roster BUT the team that has only allowed 6 points in 2 years only has 16-17 kids on their roster.

Alex, I don't quite get this line of thinking:  you'd rather the issue be something outside of your control (your numbers being what they are), than being something you could have done something about?

That being said, my preference is the Split 4-4, which we ran to great effect.  I have 3 goals for my defense: to never, ever get beaten outside, to get a minimum of 3 turnovers per game, and to play physical football.  I wouldn't say that the Split 4-4 gives us this.  I would say the way we practice defense gives us this.

Since most youth play touchdowns seem to be of the outside, outside Sweep, or the broken-play Sweep, then I'm going to do everything I can to insure that we are not bitten by this Big Play.  As a result, not only are our best defenders guarding the gates to the Sweep, but open-field tackling and defending Sweep Drills becomes the everyday norm for these defenders.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver
Topic starter  

Alex, I don't quite get this line of thinking:  you'd rather the issue be something outside of your control (your numbers being what they are), than being something you could have done something about?

That being said, my preference is the Split 4-4, which we ran to great effect.  I have 3 goals for my defense: to never, ever get beaten outside, to get a minimum of 3 turnovers per game, and to play physical football.  I wouldn't say that the Split 4-4 gives us this.  I would say the way we practice defense gives us this.

Since most youth play touchdowns seem to be of the outside, outside Sweep, or the broken-play Sweep, then I'm going to do everything I can to insure that we are not bitten by this Big Play.  As a result, not only are our best defenders guarding the gates to the Sweep, but open-field tackling and defending Sweep Drills becomes the everyday norm for these defenders.

--Dave

Our problems are myriad, not being able to practice team defense is just one of them.  We've worked open field tackling every padded practice and we are still not very good at it.  I'm sure it's how we are/aren't coaching the kids.

The last two weeks we've been beaten off tackle but now come the sweep teams.  I have always loved the 3-5 and know how to coach it.  I think we'll be moving to it against the next two opponents.

ReplyQuote
rozelle25
(@rozelle25)
Bronze

4-4...outside linebacker inside shade on TE. Ends out wide.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Jack Gregory 6-3
jacks 6-3 with the ninja call (5-2) look
Killer Bee
DC 46
4-4 split
JC 6-2
Just about any defense could be set up to stop the sweep IMO

Whats the technique to stop sweep is what we concentrate on.
I have ran all the defenses listed above and they all stopped the sweep as long as I used a few techniques

I use spill and kill
It requires disciplined corners
Good havoc creating DEs
and a Really good player in Mike.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Just about any defense could be set up to stop the sweep IMO

Whats the technique to stop sweep is what we concentrate on.

^ This.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Ummmmmm, if I were you I would run the wt6. Tackle better. Pursue better. Defeat blocks better. Get off the ball better.

Wtf guys. What about scheme not being the issue? Sort of the mantra here on offense but on defense we say "ah screw it, lets put in a new defense this week'. You know, because wt6(being a perfectly legit, proven and respected defense) suddenly can't stop sweep. I call bs. I bet the kids aren't tackling, pursuing, defeating blocks well, or getting off the ball fast. Somehow a new scheme fixes that? Uuuuhhh..........no. It doesn't.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Assuming you’re not going to reinvent the wheel & install a new D the week of a game (not a great idea).... Best thing you can do to defend the sweep is to pin your ears back & be uber aggressive. Play it safe (like most people) and you’re screwed.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Best thing you can do to defend the sweep is to pin your ears back & be uber aggressive. Play it safe (like most people) and you’re screwed.

And Jake has just described our approach to defense (and offense, and special teams) to a T.  Generally, we do not react to an offensive scheme, play or player.  (Which is why we won't widen to a youth Spread.). We are executing our defense, not reacting to an offense.  We are not trying to take away what your particular offensive scheme does, but trying to make you concern yourself with what our defense is doing.  "How are you going to block 3 players in one gap?"  "How are you going to deal with players who don't take on any blockers, and avoid contact at all costs so they can pursue just the ball-carrier?"  "How tired are your Backs going to get of being hit 4, 5, 6 times on a play?"  "How do your ball-carriers adjust to having the football wrestled on every play?"  These are unconventional approaches that offenses have to deal with when they see us. 

When we're on offense, we "hunt to hurt" (like most defenses).  When we're on defense, we're trying to execute our plays (like most offenses).  I think it makes us more difficult to play on the field.  And as far as special teams go, this year we kick our XPs which is a bit unusual for this age group, and averaging 2 recovered onside kicks per game. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver

AD - Back in the day when we could not stop the sweep, it took me a while to see it was my lack of teaching block destruction. When the kids were young they liked to lock up on D. It made them passive. Now we talk about zero hesitation and powerful. Anything we do on D has to be full speed/effort. If you do it wrong and you are going full speed - I can help fix that. If you are going to be the nail vs the hammer it will not matter what I say.

OH  - and dont change your scheme this far in the season. It never works because it causes hesitation.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

7U defense is a crap shoot.

The most dominant defense in our league (26 PA in 7 games, 19 in a single game) has 5 guys who can tackle anyone from anywhere. They play 2 of them at DE. These 2 DEs don't have to play sound because they are physically dominant. One is small and lightning fast, the other is a 7 year old with biceps. The sweep teams could do nothing against them until a side saddle UBSW team figured out to crack the little DE until he didn't want to play anymore. UBSW team also has a monster at BB who is the master of the wedge. They simply got a head start on everyone as these 5 kids were dominant in the pre season jamboree.

We were pathetic to start the season. Couldn't stop anything, but only needed to stop sweep. Little by little, we chipped away at our own weaknesses and some football players started to emerge. We also changed scheme about mid-season. Traditional defense simply wasn't working with out team, so we started tapping and stacking, eventually going full on JJ Lawson 33 stack. We got beat 32-0 in a game where we didn't play terrible defense, just "okay". Unfortunately, the other team had the 7 year old version of Barry Sanders. Oh well, what do you do when the opponent fumbles the hand off, little Barry scoops it up, ducks, jives, spins, reverses field twice and scores from 40 yards out?

Tonight will be a big test against an off-tackle team. Their Achilles heel is that their RB never runs off tackle. He just bounces it outside. Also, their TEs ALWAYS block out on the DE, which should be a free for all for our outside stacks. We still have to pursue and tackle, but I believe we are close to being ready to surprise somebody in the playoffs.

Simple defense to stop the sweep at 7U? Jack Reed's GAM.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Dont change schemes, youll take 10 steps back

Half drill defending the sweep.

Chalk it, talk it, walk it, run it, hit it

Who sets the force , whos 2nd contain,  whose the alley, whos the cut back.

Now rotate players around, thats how you defend sweep,  by practicing it.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
OHubbard
(@ohubbard)
Lurker

I am coaching an 8U team and have moved up with my son. This is our third year with the same group of boys and we have ran a 4-4 with the outside backers are wide and walked up close to the line and have primary contain and secondary contain goes to the corners. This defense has gotten the job done in our league we don't have to worry about passes only like 1 or two per game. We teach the OLBs that containing and staying at home is their job.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: