Methods to take awa...

Notifications
Clear all

Methods to take away the tight end release.

Page 1 / 2

robwhitlow
(@robwhitlow)
Bronze
Topic starter  

What "techniques" or "philosophies" are you guys using to limit the tight end release?
This is something we are seeing more and more of, used to only be one or 2 teams
now its everyone.

We have told our outside line backer to try and "eye-ball" his release. Basically if he simply "chips" or
completely ignores the DE he is likely releasing on a pass route and OLB must cover him.

However I am not sure what the best practice is here. What is your preferred method to attack the TE?

If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it. - Mike Cooley / DBT

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Rob, I dunno what your defensive scheme is but I'd present him with a 5 and 9.  With a 5, the TE may be responsible for blocking down on the 5, and your 9 can squeeze him preventing both his release and their off-tackle play at the same time.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

What "techniques" or "philosophies" are you guys using to limit the tight end release?
This is something we are seeing more and more of, used to only be one or 2 teams
now its everyone.

We have told our outside line backer to try and "eye-ball" his release. Basically if he simply "chips" or
completely ignores the DE he is likely releasing on a pass route and OLB must cover him.

However I am not sure what the best practice is here. What is your preferred method to attack the TE?

46 defense, split 44 both cover the te and press him.

other than that you can play a 7 tech de or a 9 tech de and chuck him while reading.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

It was a two part solution for us. First and most important, our 9 Tech DE had to get in to his outside shoulder HARD with their eyes in the backfield. Next, we ran Cover 0 and the TE(s) were the responsibility of the OLB's (60 Tech).  Our Linebackers read the TE's Belt.  IF it came at them, they mirrored and moved toward the TE and HIT, not bump, HIT him.  After they hit him they peeked into the backfield for run.  If the belt turned inside, fill gap, but peek at TE for a delayed release.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
robwhitlow
(@robwhitlow)
Bronze
Topic starter  

It was a two part solution for us. First and most important, our 9 Tech DE had to get in to his outside shoulder HARD with their eyes in the backfield. Next, we ran Cover 0 and the TE(s) were the responsibility of the OLB's (60 Tech).  Our Linebackers read the TE's Belt.  IF it came at them, they mirrored and moved toward the TE and HIT, not bump, HIT him.  After they hit him they peeked into the backfield for run.  If the belt turned inside, fill gap, but peek at TE for a delayed release.

Does this cause issues with your DE play? IE by having him "chuck" him hard does he get caught up in traffic at all?
our DC tells our DEs to play "outside arm free". Just curious about the tech. used.

If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it. - Mike Cooley / DBT

ReplyQuote
robwhitlow
(@robwhitlow)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Rob, I dunno what your defensive scheme is but I'd present him with a 5 and 9.  With a 5, the TE may be responsible for blocking down on the 5, and your 9 can squeeze him preventing both his release and their off-tackle play at the same time.

--Dave

Our base D is 5-3, I'm the O guy BTW. Our DC runs some 4-4 but very little.

I can see where having the 5 (outside shade) and a 9 (wide) would cause some problems for the TE and o-line in general.
That is assuming your middle is shored up!

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

Does this cause issues with your DE play? IE by having him "chuck" him hard does he get caught up in traffic at all?
our DC tells our DEs to play "outside arm free". Just curious about the tech. used.

They are doing it keeping outside arm/leg free, while they get to a yard deep into offensive backfield. IF they get caught up in traffic, they had to at least push the BC deeper into the backfield so the Backers and Safety could pursue to the sideline.  The Corner was there for secondary contain. (No one ever tried running them off)

The only time the DE couldn't really hit the TE first was if there was a wing.  Then they had to move out a bit more to avoid the double team. Made the Backers job a bit harder, but they did get their read faster.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

That is assuming your middle is shored up!

That's what linebackers are for.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver

Coaches can talk about this all day saying how they will handle this. Simply put it is very difficult for the defense to handle this.  We can run play action and get the TE off virtually all the time. The way we run our play action puts the defenders in conflict and they respond to the run read allowing us to get the TE in the soft area behind the LBs. It is a simple read for the QB, LB step up QB keeps and hits TE. LB reads pass and IZ is coming right at him. What we change to really make this work for us is the line simply blocks IZ. Defense is always reading low hat

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

6 tech end charging at the te is a good way to slow him down

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

6 tech end charging at the te is a good way to slow him down

That's one of the reasons I am liking the 4-4 defenses like Coach Mountjoys. Having someone aligned Head up on a TE is more appealing to me than having someone head up on the Center. 

We did also have a call in our 5-3 where our OLB and DE just lined up on the TE and drove him into the backfield, DE watching C and OLB taking contain.  My strong side players did it well, but weak side, not so much.

ReplyQuote
lost episodes
(@ltlacy)
Silver

U stone the TE with Olb and DE, DE is giving TE to OLB and continue outside containment! Don't have to stone/double team him just let him know someone is on him every play!

ReplyQuote
bxdefense
(@bxdefense)
Bronze

Coaches can talk about this all day saying how they will handle this. Simply put it is very difficult for the defense to handle this.  We can run play action and get the TE off virtually all the time. The way we run our play action puts the defenders in conflict and they respond to the run read allowing us to get the TE in the soft area behind the LBs. It is a simple read for the QB, LB step up QB keeps and hits TE. LB reads pass and IZ is coming right at him. What we change to really make this work for us is the line simply blocks IZ. Defense is always reading low hat

A defense can simply hit your TE every play with an OLB or SS and let the ILB and DT's play that inside run. Shouldn't be much of a conflict.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

--Dave

Interesting replies to which I have two different answers (DC46 or Killer Bee).  In DC46, we use a "7" tech OLB.  The TE almost always must block him to prevent the OLB blitz.  If he doesn't block the OLB and releases, that's a pass read by OLB. 

This covers the simple stuff but simple is most of what we see.  Teams can try more complex but "complex" doesn't work either.  Team s can try and run the OLB off by releasing the TE.  If they do that, we blitz the OLB and blow up the play for a loss.  If they try "hit and release" two problems come up.  The first we create.  The OLB will auto blitz and the near back cannot block both the OLB and DE so the QB is hurried in his throw (or the ball is batted or the QB sacked).  A hurried throw either hits the TE in the back or goes over his head. 

The second problem with "hit and release" is created by child psychology.  TE's so seldom get their number called that when they hear it in the huddle, adrenalin begins to flow.  He comes to the line and gets so pumped that on the snap you'd need a slow motion camera to see the "hit" because the normal eye (including the OLB's) will just see the release.  The TE accelerates the "hit" to where it's so fast the OLB gets a pass read.    Most OC's will tell a TE to delay his release for "two counts" not realizing that, to a player, "two counts" means .02 seconds.  With opposing OC's unable to teach this, DC46 just eats them up.

Anyway, this is how DC46 duplicates what Coach DP is doing. 

But I'll post a lot more.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond

While this works against most opponents, my DCWT has the TE show his belt to the inside of the "60" tech OLB, then turn outside the moment he gets past the OLB (passing by him so close their pads should click).  The OLB will now either FILL or peak at the TE.  He's wrong either way.  If he fills, the TE is running the 90 degree out and is wide open when the FL clears the corner.  If he peaks, he'll do so over his inside shoulder (the side the TE belt went by on).  An OLB looking inside cannot cover a TE turning outside because the TE only turned 90 degrees to make his cut but an OLB turning inside must turn 180 degrees to follow.

He can't keep up and the TE is open.

I'm not knocking this coverage. I developed this pass release specifically because I saw it so often (And if you see a lot of anything being run, it's because it works.).  For many DCWT coaches, this pass ("Pass Right #1") is the highest completion pass in the offense because of the number of 5-3 defenses using it.

If the "60" starts to run with the TE we call "36 Draw" where the TE runs the outside route but we hand off to the HB off tackle.

Hence, the "60" tech is always wrong.  I went this route after facing a few "60" tech OLB's who were such "King Kongs" my blockers just bounced off of them.

Again, I'm not knocking this solution as I've never seen any other offense use my TE's release.  It should work - Maybe.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: