Middle School runni...

Notifications

Middle School running DC's Killer Bee Defense  

RSS

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
July 14, 2019 10:45 am  

Here's film of an MS coach running the Killer Bee.  They're listed as a high school but actually middle school.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
July 15, 2019 7:08 am  

The characteristics of Killer Bee that you can see are:

1) Three defenders at the point of the tackle
2) Losses on sweeps but with tackles made from inside out versus outside in.
3) Nobody's being blocked
4) It looks like there's more than 11 defenders on the field
5) Good pass coverage
6) The defense doesn't look "different" or "special", causing opposing coaches to think their normal plays will work against it and then get shocked.
7) It's difficult to understand what the defense did from just watching.  It happens too fast.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Copper
July 25, 2019 4:32 am  

I'm starting practices on August 5th. Can't wait to teach KB to these kids! We don't have Middle School programs in the Baltimore Area, at least not where we live, may somewhere in the city. So I have 6th and 7th graders that are a mixed bag of 4/5 year players and brand new kids to the sport. I have studied this thing for hours upon hours so I'm chomping at the bit to get going!!!

If I don't have a scrimmage until late August, can I wait until the second week to start install? I really want the primary focus of at least week 1 to be physicality, aggression, and team unity.
I'm confident I can get base in very quickly, at least with the veterans. They understand my coaching style, and like you, I show rather than tell when I'm coaching. I will literally hit bags and sleds to give them a visual.

Thanks for all your hard work developing this system!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
July 25, 2019 4:39 am  

If I don't have a scrimmage until late August, can I wait until the second week to start install?

Ryan, count how many practices (or hours) that you have until your first game.  We begin the fundamentals install with 20 hours before our first game and the scheme install with 10 hours before the game.  Of course, during the fundamentals install, we are also teaching the language of our system (numbers & tags) so that when we begin scheme install, it all goes pretty quickly.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
August 11, 2019 7:54 pm  

We ran it at the 9th grade level and were successful. You do have to have two stout DL and decent corners. Our corners struggled against larger receivers. Our ground defense was very effective.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
Share: