Starting DE breaks ...

Notifications
Clear all

Starting DE breaks his arm playing soccer in gym, NOW WHAT?

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Starting DE is out for the year, now what?

He broke his arm playing soccer in gym class.  He was my so called STUD DE, my other DE is average.

My problem is, over the past few weeks I tried some kids at DE as backups, none really jumped out at me.  My DE has to crash, under control, aiming for the deepest back’s outside hip, he has to also contain while doing so. 

Here are my choices
1- Not the best feet, will listen, not afraid to tackle but lacks speed.
2- Best overall football player skill wise out of the bunch, but many times will shy away from contact or come in late to help tackle someone.
3- Small, not very fast but the most aggressive out of the bunch, I just worry that he will go nuts with adrenaline if he gets into the backfield and may not contain as I had hoped.

Sad thing is, I felt we could hang with a very good I formation team that loves to pound it off tackle or sweep, now I am very worried.

I could try to move my now best DE to the side I feel they are running to because some of their formations tend to hint where they are running.  I may even have a few clips of their D as well.

I run Jack’s 6-3 and sometimes switch it into a 5-2…

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Bring him in front of all the players and tell them ............. This is what you get when you play So%$er.  😀

On another note...
have you done the "switch" yet?
Have you tried it?

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

My rule in Jacks D is
The most aggressive defender goes to DE after you pick your mike

Youth teams are not designed or trained to handle that kind of pressure.

The kid that has bad humor in his heart..... Thats my DE. The kid that takes it personally that the offense gains one foot, hes it.

The kid that you never have to tell to "Pick it up" or to be more aggressive.
I will take havoc over speed

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Our 12U kicker broke his foot playing basketball in gym class. Now they will probably never kick a field goal this year. Is it possible to give our players gym waivers for school? ???

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I think we should give them "stress cards" like the military does

They can use it to get out of school activities  😉

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I didn't have stress cards when I was in. I threw up a little when I heard they started doing that.
Put #3 at de.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

3-Small, not very fast but the most aggressive out of the bunch, I just worry that he will go nuts with adrenaline if he gets into the backfield and may not contain as I had hoped.

The thing about the DE is that youu want someone who is fast but given the other intagibles.  The important thing here is will the one above cause Chaos?  If he will then he your choice.  Being a great tackler is not high on my list.  The ability to get in the backfield and force teams to adjust is my goal. 

My De's this year are not fleet footed.  One is a Wrecking ball the other is very good at forcing the play to change.  I have one who I am grooming for the position.  He is one of the smallest kids on the team.  Sack of Taters outwieghs him.  Why do I want him?  He's speedy, tough to block, and fearless.  He wants to play it, he loves to play it.  He is a Badger!!       

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I didn't have stress cards when I was in. I threw up a little when I heard they started doing that.

I teach ex military here all day and they say the same stuff. They wish they were harder on them in boot camp etc.

Put #3 at de.

I say hell yes to this ^^^^

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I cant think of many scenarios where "best overall football player" wouldn't get the job.  If he shy's away from contact, and he's the best of the group, then i sure as heck don't want the other 2.  Because i cant think of many scenarios on a football field, where my "best of anything" wpuld consist of a kid who is shy of contact.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Share: