Notifications

Stiff arm tackle  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
October 22, 2016 3:39 pm  

Today in our game our corner got stiff armed, so he latched onto the stiff arm and drug the kid to the ground by the arm.  Anyways, the other team's coach was livid, to the point of getting ejected from the game, that no flag was thrown on what he thought was an illegal tackle. 

Other than horse collar and spearning, are there an other types of illegal tackles?

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 22, 2016 9:41 pm  

Today in our game our corner got stiff armed, so he latched onto the stiff arm and drug the kid to the ground by the arm.  Anyways, the other team's coach was livid, to the point of getting ejected from the game, that no flag was thrown on what he thought was an illegal tackle. 

Other than horse collar and spearning, are there an other types of illegal tackles?

Uh...leg whip, fist in the face, fingers up the nose, tackling with the teeth, fish hooking the cheek, full nelson...that the sort of thing you mean?

ReplyQuote
jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
October 23, 2016 7:10 am  

I guess I am just wondering if that was a blown call or a no call.  If my corner got away with something I would like to tell him what the rule is.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 23, 2016 7:23 am  

I guess I am just wondering if that was a blown call or a no call.  If my corner got away with something I would like to tell him what the rule is.

Nothing illegal per se about tackling by the arm.  I suppose it could've been unnecessary roughness if he'd swung the opponent around more or harder than was necessary to make the tackle.

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze
October 23, 2016 10:36 am  

That's how my brother used to tackle when he played corner even as an underclassman in high school. Pretty funny watching him as a 110 lbs sophomore take down a senior power back on a full ride to Michigan State.

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
October 23, 2016 10:42 am  

Had a similar tackle last year. My safety took a hand to the face so he grabbed the runners arm and gator rolled it. Runner was down and out :/

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
October 23, 2016 3:27 pm  

Had a similar tackle last year. My safety took a hand to the face so he grabbed the runners arm and gator rolled it. Runner was down and out :/

Rofl!  Just happened in one of our games yesterday!  8)

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 24, 2016 3:48 am  

We teach our kids to grab at that arm if the runner puts it out there early.  There was a good play like this in the Cardinals/Seahawks game last night.  Back stuck out his arm early instead of trying to deliver a blow and the corner pulled him down by the arm.  Perfectly legal. 

ReplyQuote
woodhawg
(@woodhawg)
Copper
October 24, 2016 4:06 am  

My qb just got called for illegal procedure on a long snap count because his hands "shook" when he called "hut". On the third "hut" the defense jumped flag went out... So I guess only on the third hand tensing hut does it become illegal. Now we don't teach him to do that it was just his natural hand movement hes used to doing to catch the snap, in case the center launches it. Anyone ever heard of that call? Because to "fix" it we risk a fumbled snap in the future.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 24, 2016 4:20 am  

My qb just got called for illegal procedure on a long snap count because his hands "shook" when he called "hut". On the third "hut" the defense jumped flag went out... So I guess only on the third hand tensing hut does it become illegal. Now we don't teach him to do that it was just his natural hand movement hes used to doing to catch the snap, in case the center launches it. Anyone ever heard of that call? Because to "fix" it we risk a fumbled snap in the future.

If a QB makes a head bob or his hands move, then they are not necessarily going to call you for it. However, if it causes the defense to jump, then they have to call it one way or the other.  If they believe that the movement caused the defense to jump, then they will call a false start on you. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 24, 2016 4:53 am  

Don't you get it from your own description?  "His natural hand movement he's used to doing to catch the snap."  He's simulating action at the snap, while the ball's not actually being snapped.  How much clearer does a false start have to be?

ReplyQuote
woodhawg
(@woodhawg)
Copper
October 24, 2016 5:46 am  

Well I do mean natural. Try to bark hut without your hands moving. I can't. It's not exagerrated. How many guys train their qb to bark signals while frozen like a stone? If that's the case I guess we will adapt. Been running hard count for years this way never been called...so I guess we will change with the times lol.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 24, 2016 7:06 am  

Well I do mean natural. Try to bark hut without your hands moving. I can't. It's not exagerrated.

Yes, when you're shouting, you tend to use your accessory breathing muscles so your shoulders shrug.  But you wrote above about a certain hand movement the player does to receive the snap.  He doesn't have to do that on every "hut", does he?

ReplyQuote
woodhawg
(@woodhawg)
Copper
October 24, 2016 8:35 am  

Yes he does. He is in the ubsw stance hands open and slightly extended. Do that and say " hut" and watch the movement in your hands. Thats why I said it was natural movement. If I was trying to be cute and it got called I wouldn't be on here asking what guys think, what point would it be to use some trick then ask if was legal? Lol. He was just yelling hut while being ready for a snap. This isn't something cute where he reaches out like he's catching a snap. In fact if the D doesn't  jump, he stands up, which is legal, looks at the defense to do a edge count and calls one of three audibles repeating it left and right. Then recrouches and gives another hut which is a snap. We've done it 3 to 4 times a game for years without incident.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 24, 2016 6:22 pm  

Yes he does. He is in the ubsw stance hands open and slightly extended. Do that and say " hut" and watch the movement in your hands. Thats why I said it was natural movement. If I was trying to be cute and it got called I wouldn't be on here asking what guys think, what point would it be to use some trick then ask if was legal? Lol. He was just yelling hut while being ready for a snap. This isn't something cute where he reaches out like he's catching a snap. In fact if the D doesn't  jump, he stands up, which is legal, looks at the defense to do a edge count and calls one of three audibles repeating it left and right. Then recrouches and gives another hut which is a snap. We've done it 3 to 4 times a game for years without incident.

This description is at odds with your previous one of "his natural hand movement he's used to doing to catch the snap, in case the center launches it".  So which is it?  A movement of the upper extremities that occurs because of breathing hard to say "hut"?  Or a movement of the hands to catch the snap that he adopted because it's how he secures the ball?

The opposing team is allowed to look for a tell in the snap count.  It's illegal for you to deliberately imitate that tell.  Most of the time the officials aren't looking carefully to detect such a tell, so that's why you may get away with a false one that draws encroachment.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: