Stopping the Option

Notifications

Stopping the Option  

RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
September 28, 2016 8:25 am  

Anyone have any good info on stopping the veer option and trap option out of the I?

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 28, 2016 8:43 am  

Base dc 46 but thats not a "lets put that in this week" kind of defense.

So you may just want to rehash basic option responsibility

http://incolor.inebraska.com/mays/defendingoption.htm

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/the-time-buddy-ryan-conjured-up-a-defense-that-nearly-beat-mighty-nebraska-062816

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 28, 2016 12:22 pm  

Anyone have any good info on stopping the veer option and trap option out of the I?

What defense are you using?

If you spill and teach BDSD to your DL, it's easier.

Start any option defense with the coverage, since they have to be involved in stopping the run.  Have your force player set the edge and hit the pitch man in the mouth on every play, whether he has the ball or not.

Then you want to make them pitch the ball.

Realize that the offense wants to run the trap at the open A gap and the veer at the open B gap.  You can use this to your advantage to coach your kids up on what to expect and how to play it.

In an even defense, I believe you should have the DL all attack the OL across from them with their hips on the outside, then have them step down and get eyes inside on a down block.  They will tackle the first threat (dive) or spill a kickout by attacking the inside shoulder.

The LB behind this will see his gap filled, so he can scrape and tackle the QB.  The FS or backside S will run the alley and clean up anything that makes it through.  The FS has to be an active tackler.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 28, 2016 2:47 pm  

The Key to stopping any offensive scheme is understanding what they are going to try to do.

Top Level.

What are the main features or "Pro's" of the Offense?
    a.  How does my defense match up with high level tendencies
What are the things the Offense doesnt do well by scheme or formation?
    a.  How can I force them into those things?
How do they Block?
    a.  How do I match up to the more common schemes?

Mid Level.

Is my defense designed to stop the most common plays?
  a.  How do I adjust to stop them?

This is a very basic and incomplete overview of any Defensive plan (Without Film or Scouts).  The more good coaches you have on your staff the more you can drill down to position by position.  However, if you are like 90% of Youth Coaches, you dont have the Staff and/or practice time to drill down to individual positions, Opponent by Opponent. 

That being said, the best way to defend against any offense, is with a sound and disciplined defense.  Know their Roles, Teach their roles, Make them play their roles! 

Yesterday I had about a 10 minute conversation with our Defense about "Free Lancing"!  We have given up more points this year because kids "Free Lance"! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: