tackling shifty pla...

Notifications
Clear all

tackling shifty players

JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
Topic starter  

My MLB is big, strong fast. He is not shifty. What drill/conversation/technique that can help tackle the small shifty guys. Any info wold be helpful.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

one of the common issues i notice w young players is over pursuit. not sure if that's the case w your LB but a hunch...

we have a very shifty little (77 lb) WB. he will cut back and embarrass you if you over pursue so we've gone over it a lot in tackling drills.

we always teach to stay on the BACK HIP when pursuing a ball carrier moving laterally.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Like GP mentioned proper pursuit and maintaining leverage on the ball carrier is where I would start.

Second, I would teach to read the hips of ball carrier and not get caught up in all the head and upper body fakes.

Third, work within the frame work of your defense.  Tackling a shifty type of ball carrier is not always one man job. Restrict the area the ball carrier can operate in and create that hesitant thought process in the runner.

Fourth, STP (Speed to Power) pursuit and then getting the body under control to make the tackle.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

It's very tuff.  Even the NFL guys get schooled by shifty runners.  We try to teach our tacklers to trail the runner just a touch then explode into them when they get close enough.  We also emphasize tackling high against shifty runners. 

But if their really good, theres not much one player can do w/ a fast shifty back.  You just gotta bring 3-4 hats to the ball every time, and try to square him up w/ secondary tacklers.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

My MLB is big, strong fast. He is not shifty. What drill/conversation/technique that can help tackle the small shifty guys. Any info wold be helpful.

STRESS NOT LEAVING YOUR FEET & TACKLE HIGH (WITH CHEST)

The big reason tacklers miss shifty ball carriers is they bend forward at the waist & that forces the body weight down.  Keep your feet & large body mass under your hips.

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

STRESS NOT LEAVING YOUR FEET & TACKLE HIGH (WITH CHEST)

The big reason tacklers miss shifty feet is they bend forward at the waist & that forces the body weight down.  Keep your feet & large body mass under your hips.

Totally agree. 

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
seeindouble
(@seeindouble)
Gold

Outside of drills and technique, He needs to be stubborn about keeping his leverage.
If He has outside leverage...KEEP IT!
If He has inside leverage...KEEP IT!

And something else to stress against an elusive runner...is to not attempt to make the tackle TOO FAST...IOWs, MAKE ONE TACKLE, or, leave yourself in position to attempt a SECOND TACKLE. 

Tackling, just like anything else in football, requires TIMING!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

What drill/conversation/technique that can help tackle the small shifty guys.

We drill our tackler's eyes on the "belt buckle" of the ball-carrier.  A ball-carrier's eyes and shoulders can lie to you.  The belt buckle won't.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachBrown
(@coachbrown)
Copper

Here are a couple of things:

- Active feet. You never want to be flat footed when attempted to make a tackle
- Begin to break down as you near the ball carrier. All too often kids run full speed the entire time which results in a lack of control.
- Do not lunge. This often results in arm tackles which can be easily broken.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

We try to teach our tacklers to trail the runner just a touch then explode into them when they get close enough.  We also emphasize tackling high against shifty runners. 

But if their really good, theres not much one player can do w/ a fast shifty back.  You just gotta bring 3-4 hats to the ball every time, and try to square him up w/ secondary tacklers.

I agree with all of the above.

It can be tough to on one hand be coaching kids to tackle aggressively & low against opponents whom they can handle that way, and on the other hand to contain the quick ones.  Kids have trouble dialing that distinction in, and will tend to keep on attempting whatever you tried to get them to do in the previous rep.  Same with pursuit angles, they take a long time to learn to adjust to the speed of the individual opposing player.  This is why I like to have drills where we specifically emphasize 1-on-1 tackling, and others where we specifically work on team pursuit & containment.

ReplyQuote
Share: