Notifications

[Sticky] Teaching Modern Tackling  

Page 6 / 7
  RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 5, 2017 7:25 am  

So much passion in your negativity on the internet, Dave.

No one is telling you to do it with High School Kids.  It was a different spin on teaching young people.  I ran it by several people that I feel like know something about football before I did it. 

We did not use it to "teach tackling" as you say.  It was about keeping your head up and seeing what you hit.  Obviously keeping your head up is a problem all of the way to the NFL.  We "teach tackling" everyday with drills, safely.

Anyway I can teach/protect my players from injuring themselves, I will do it. 

And, you can't aim a gun while looking down.  That's the whole point.

I appreciate all of your great comments.  Speaks volumes as you say.....

My first thought was you were nuts....then I thought about how much fun these kids most likely had doing this. And since you made it through this practice without getting fired...so did the parents.  🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 5, 2017 7:28 am  

My first thought was you were nuts....then I thought about how much fun these kids most likely had doing this. And since you made it through this practice without getting fired...so did the parents.  🙂

Yeah, I am pretty sure at PSL the parents would of had a full on revolt. Cops called, black helicopters and SUVs, ATF, Child and Family Services.... It would be chaos.

ReplyQuote
chiefs58
(@chiefs58)
Bronze
United States
December 5, 2017 7:52 am  

Lol.

Here’s what it did on the first day for 9 year olds IMO....  One can had many holes in it and they heard the B.B. hit the can.  The other can had zero holes.  See your target.  This is not within city limits where it would obviously be a problem. 

When we did drills thru out the year and a kid out his head down, I’d say remember the can, you can’t hit what you don’t see. 

Definitely a different situation in the country vs the city.  Every where else I was staitioned in the military there’s no way I could have done it.  Now retired in the country, it’s a different deal.

Our high school coach has coached a few that made it to the NFL, most recently Ruben Foster. He thought it was very strange at first too and then said I can see how that might help a 9 year old first year player remember that.  So I went with it. 

Currently coaching 12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
chiefs58
(@chiefs58)
Bronze
United States
December 5, 2017 7:55 am  

And actually 2 kids’ parents who’s kid never played before, but they played themselves, said they thought what is he doing.  Then those same parents said that’s all their child talked about when they got home that night, and thought it was a great idea.

Currently coaching 12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
December 5, 2017 8:02 am  

"Son, either you go through the hole, or the hole goes through you.  Up to you."

Wish I could triple like this.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
December 5, 2017 8:08 am  

I wonder how many times they asked if they could shoot the BB gun again. Take them out and have some BB gun competitions, team building.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
December 5, 2017 8:17 am  

What would you have done if a kid had actually hit the can with his head down?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 5, 2017 10:33 am  

So I can bring my M4 to practice next Fall? Or should we test it in the Spring first?  😀

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 5, 2017 10:36 am  

Don't give them a BB when their head is down.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 5, 2017 10:41 am  

And actually 2 kids’ parents who’s kid never played before, but they played themselves, said they thought what is he doing.  Then those same parents said that’s all their child talked about when they got home that night, and thought it was a great idea.

You saw a problem and implemented a creative solution that worked for you. Don't sweat what anyone else thinks. I wouldn't try it because I live in Denver and everyone is weird about guns. You're either weird for them or weird against them. I also agree with Vince that the BB gun would be a huge distraction. I remember going to wrist coaches with a bunch of young kids. It was worse than picture day and the first day of school. Should have called it "wrist coach day".

Me: "Okay guys, now that we understand how important it is to see your target, let's apply that to a tackling drill."
Them (In their heads): "BBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgunBBgun......."

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 5, 2017 10:50 am  

I figured out a while ago that just because I would not do something  it doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. I might scratch my head and wonder wtf is that but if it works for them, great. This is a weird one but like I said...

His line of thinking works though. Create a trigger or catch phrase that sticks. We all use them just maybe not go to that degeee to implement them.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 5, 2017 10:59 am  

I figured out a while ago that just because I would not do something  it doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. I might scratch my head and wonder wtf is that but if it works for them, great. This is a weird one but like I said...

His line of thinking works though. Create a trigger or catch phrase that sticks. We all use them just maybe not go to that degeee to implement them.

Exactly. It's like that "taking a dump in the woods" method of teaching a 3 point stance, or Cisar's "No Ballerina's". Whatever makes it stick in little kids' minds.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 5, 2017 11:02 am  

There is one drill that has hands down got me laughed at more than any other. "Whose Ball?" aka "The Drill". Whatever. We once won a game on the very last play because of it.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
December 5, 2017 2:14 pm  

Make him your center, or maybe your QB, or a CB, or some place he could use those no-look skilz.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 5, 2017 2:49 pm  

No one is telling you to do it with High School Kids.  It was a different spin on teaching young people.

Oh, it's a different spin teaching young people?  Yeah, I guess I wouldn't know anything about that. ::)

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share: