Notifications

Technique Disappears During Games  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
October 1, 2018 8:30 am  

I am really struggling to come up with an answer here.

Tackling technique specifically. In practices, I am happy with the technique my players perform. We do 10-15 minutes of angle form tackling every single practices and pre-game. That's about an hour of tackling technique practice each week. Not including drills to emphasize other situational tackles and full speed tackling drills. Or team/scrimmage situations.

Then we get into games. The technique for the most part completely falls by the wayside. We are a bunch of zombies out there standing straight up with our arms straight out in front of us trying to just grab on. It has been very frustrated.

We are a roster of 16 playing 9on9 football. We have had 14 dressed for the last 3 games. We have also been physically outmatched more often than not. I am not expecting big things out of these kids, for the effort on tackles is not close to where I expect it to be. I have 2-3 kids that make a solid effort on technique more than 80% of the time. I have another 2-3 that are 50/50 on their technique. They can make some good plays on D, but just as often get caught being lazy on their technique. The rest of the roster is very hit and miss, but mostly miss.

With a small roster I can really on pull one kid off at a time to try and coach them up/explain the technique I need from them. During practice the technique is satisfactory 75-80% of the time. During games, it's probably the opposite of that, 20% at best.

What am I missing? Is it just confidence? I could probably chalk a few of these up to just being tired and worn down by the end of the game, but for a lot of these kids it's right from the start. I don't have enough players to not have any of these kids play defence regularly. With 4 games left, I don't have a lot of time to try to make these guys into tackling machines. I don't want to throw my hands up because I am out of ideas, but I am getting close.

Any ideas?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 1, 2018 9:08 am  

I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on this as well.

Im not recognizing my teams efforts on game day. Something isnt translating. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
October 2, 2018 8:45 am  

I'm surprised no one has any thoughts on this. Though I guess if even Mahonz doesn't have the answer, we're all hooped.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 2, 2018 9:06 am  

I'm surprised no one has any thoughts on this. Though I guess if even Mahonz doesn't have the answer, we're all hooped.

Im dumbfounded right now.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 10:07 am  

Then we get into games. The technique for the most part completely falls by the wayside.

Could be that you taught technique of everything else.  That's like trying to recall 27 chapters of a book, instead of the book's main theme.  Could be the order of your install.  That's huge and where USA Football fails so badly, in my estimation.  But I ain't there, so I can only guess.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
October 2, 2018 10:11 am  

Could be that you taught technique of everything else.  That's like trying to recall 27 chapters of a book, instead of the book's main theme.  Could be the order of your install.  That's huge and where USA Football fails so badly, in my estimation.  But I ain't there, so I can only guess.

--Dave

Can you elaborate a bit? Not sure what you mean by technique of everything else.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
October 2, 2018 10:20 am  

Okay, I posted something here a few years back...about technique vs aggression and physicality...

Technique is something that needs to be taught, but not at the expense of the other stuff...the goal of the tackle is to get the bad guy on the ground, we see text book tackles sometimes, and then we will see the guy who is slightly out of position, reaches out and grabs jersey and slings the ball carrier to the ground that way? Which tackle is better? Trick question 😛 neither is better, they both accomplished the goal of getting the bad guy on the ground.

Our boys are 11/12 this season...we did form tackling at the beginning of "camp" went through the USA football stuff...then our tackling is done in our drills, that might not be specifically tackling drills...we have our W drill (a form of Oklahoma with multiple layers), we work on blocking and tackling and running in traffic...we do half line against the bad guys offense or defense...we work on blocking and tackling and running...but more so...we are looking for aggression and physicality in these drills...we teach the technique...we don't harp on it...they will get technically proficient as they rep it...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 10:22 am  

Can you elaborate a bit? Not sure what you mean by technique of everything else.

Sorry Brad, I don't either.  It was a typo.  What I meant to say was: "technique over everything else."  Too much emphasis on all of the techniques: stance, feet, hands, steps, buzz, hips, arms, rip, wrap, grab, drive, etc. and before you know it, you have players trying to remember everything and under game pressure only recall 20%.  And it's the 20% that won't help, without the rest of it.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
October 2, 2018 10:23 am  

My 2 cents... know your team. If you have kids standing around in space, put them closer to their opponent or assignment. If you only have 2 or 3 kids doing well in space, set your defense up so that the other guys are out of their way.

This is all a guess, but how much did you scrimmage other teams preseason? Do you have the option to pull kids from other age groups at practice?

Occassionally we mix the age groups based on aggression and maturity level so that the kids get a better expectation of what they will see in a game.

To me a kid standing around in space on defense afraid to close with the ball carrier is going to get himself hurt. Is there something else those players could be asked to do that would clog a gap?

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
October 2, 2018 10:25 am  

Sorry Brad, I don't either.  It was a typo.  What I meant to say was: "technique over everything else."  Too much emphasis on all of the techniques: stance, feet, hands, steps, buzz, hips, arms, rip, wrap, grab, drive, etc. and before you know it, you have players trying to remember everything and under game pressure only recall 20%.  And it's the 20% that won't help, without the rest of it.

--Dave

Thinking makes you slow and steals aggression...

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 10:27 am  

When teaching techniques (and this applies to high schoolers, as well), we want to try to combine techniques into one.  I've seen coaches break down 3 techniques into 27.  Good luck remembering all that.  Can the pros do it?  Yes, because by the time players get to the pro level, those techniques have been hammered into them season after season, year-round.  The problems come from trying to take all of those techniques, break them apart and install each one individually.  I'm not saying that you are doing this (I have no idea.  I've never attended one of your practices, nor have you ever taken me step-by-step through your teaching process.). But I have seen (and fired) coaches who used this as their teaching base.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 10:27 am  

Thinking makes you slow and steals aggression...

Hello.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 10:31 am  

We are an Aggression-first team.  That has my staple and is paramount to everything we teach and our players learn.  It is not a 2nd or 3rd priority.  There are many, many different ways to get there.  But we are going to be there first, and just like our practices, there is no waiting in line. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 10:31 am  

I am really struggling to come up with an answer here.

You could call me and tell me what you do, or I could tell you what I do.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
October 2, 2018 10:37 am  

You could call me and tell me what you do, or I could tell you what I do.

--Dave

Make the call dude...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: