Notifications

The value of competition  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
January 13, 2017 5:33 am  

I don't know how this would effect a team with a very small roster but I assume you would enjoy the same benefits we did this season.

To reset, I was/am the DC for our peewee team. No mpp rules and I'm the only guy in the league who cares about letting kids play. We had an awesome group of kids, several of which already were good at football. Although we were a first year organization we were the most aggressive team in the league and won the championship.

We had 35 kids on roster but anywhere between 20-25 regulars at practice. I never settled on a starting defense all season. As opposed to calling them starters I did color designations.

Purple were the top dogs. Gold was the next group. Purple did play more in the games but gold practiced more. The kids loved me because they knew I'd give them a shot. Have a great practice or two and you're up to purple. Be a stud who is lazy in drills and you're on gold.

I rotated kids around all year and by the time the season was over all our kids were comfortable in more than one position. Our gold defense was doing as well as the purple by the end of the season.

I also like to build confidence by getting the kids to call each other out during individual drills. The winner wins the job that week. These kids would have tackled an 18 wheeler for me.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 13, 2017 6:41 am  

I was/am the DC for our peewee team. No mpp rules and I'm the only guy in the league who cares about letting kids play. We had an awesome group of kids, several of which already were good at football. Although we were a first year organization we were the most aggressive team in the league and won the championship.

We had 35 kids on roster but anywhere between 20-25 regulars at practice. I never settled on a starting defense all season. As opposed to calling them starters I did color designations.

Purple were the top dogs. Gold was the next group. Purple did play more in the games but gold practiced more. The kids loved me because they knew I'd give them a shot. Have a great practice or two and you're up to purple. Be a stud who is lazy in drills and you're on gold.

I rotated kids around all year and by the time the season was over all our kids were comfortable in more than one position. Our gold defense was doing as well as the purple by the end of the season.

I also like to build confidence by getting the kids to call each other out during individual drills. The winner wins the job that week. These kids would have tackled an 18 wheeler for me.

Sounds like a solid approach.  However, keep in mind that "These kids would have tackled an 18 wheeler for me" was due more to your relationships with your players and how you ran your practices.  Others could try to mimic this same approach and not have any success because they aren't skilled at developing relationships with players or understanding the cause/effect relationship of coaching technique.  Congratulations on your season.  Doing it in your org's first season is impressive.

I'd like to hear more about how your org put things into place for success, especially since you were the "only guy in the league who cares about letting kids play."  So that didn't extend to others in your org or on your staff?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
January 13, 2017 6:59 am  

Sounds like a solid approach.  However, keep in mind that "These kids would have tackled an 18 wheeler for me" was due more to your relationships with your players and how you ran your practices.  Others could try to mimic this same approach and not have any success because they aren't skilled at developing relationships with players or understanding the cause/effect relationship of coaching technique.  Congratulations on your season.  Doing it in your org's first season is impressive. 

You know what, I've actually given this some thought to that. Privately, i think it's a gift from above... its hard To explain but I can be around a team for a short time and know what they need to have confidence and aggression.

I'd like to hear more about how your org put things into place for success, especially since you were the "only guy in the league who cares about letting kids play."  So that didn't extend to others in your org or on your staff?

Well the president is a perfect fit for what he does.... he wants a winning program and has recruited the right kids. We have talent on equal footing with the top programs in the league. I feel like as the year progressed the other guys in the organization saw that kids they had written off were really doing well by the end of the season and it's making them reevaluate some of their stances on player placement. We've got a meeting tomorrow and I'll argue my point, but I can't force them to do it my way. Program goals are to win and keep kids off the street. Lots of "at risk" youth but we are very disciplined. I think they plan to roll with a purple and gold unit at all levels next year. That would be good progress. Forgive me for not bolding my responses I'm on an uncooperative iPhone.
--Dave

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 13, 2017 7:33 am  

How come so many of the kids didn't come to practice? Was the commute tougher than tackling an 18-wheeler?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 13, 2017 7:47 am  

the president is a perfect fit for what he does.... he wants a winning program and has recruited the right kids.

How does he go about doing that, and does he recruit by himself?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
January 13, 2017 7:57 am  

I don't know how this would effect a team with a very small roster but I assume you would enjoy the same benefits we did this season.

To reset, I was/am the DC for our peewee team. No mpp rules and I'm the only guy in the league who cares about letting kids play. We had an awesome group of kids, several of which already were good at football. Although we were a first year organization we were the most aggressive team in the league and won the championship.

That is quite the story.  It is pretty rare for a first year team to go to first place.  Congratulations!  That they all got to play is even more remarkable!  8)

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
January 13, 2017 8:18 am  

How come so many of the kids didn't come to practice? Was the commute tougher than tackling an 18-wheeler?

A few reasons if I had to guess... irresponsible parents being number1. The kids can't get themselves there or be expected to call for a ride themselves. Many take advantage of the opportunity to ride with a coach while many others don't. For a few others I think feelings were hurt. Several "all stars" simply couldn't win a starting job and I believe were probably being discouraged behind closed doors.

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
January 13, 2017 8:21 am  

How does he go about doing that, and does he recruit by himself?

--Dave

He has coached at another organization in the league for several years prior and is well known. Also is a track coach. Several coaches on staff actively recruit year round.

Now that we have a season under our belt, we have a reputation and are practically able to cherry pick local kids.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
January 13, 2017 10:02 am  

A few reasons if I had to guess... irresponsible parents being number1. The kids can't get themselves there or be expected to call for a ride themselves. Many take advantage of the opportunity to ride with a coach while many others don't. For a few others I think feelings were hurt. Several "all stars" simply couldn't win a starting job and I believe were probably being discouraged behind closed doors.

No, they can't drive themselves but they can set the ground work for getting a ride. Usually letting a coach know about their situation is the key. Coaches have access to other parents to see if they can help out.

Great job on the season. Impressive really. I like not naming starters. You earn it every week and can win or lose a job at any time. Keeps the kids focused and breathing fire in practice when you use that approach. Keeping practice competitive is what gives many great teams their edge.

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
January 13, 2017 10:26 am  

That is quite the story.  It is pretty rare for a first year team to go to first place.  Congratulations!  That they all got to play is even more remarkable!  8)

I hinted that we had a documentary filmed on us...the producers seems to think we can be direct competition for FNT. Going to film next year....

I know at some point they'll ask where I got started considering I didn't play much myself... going to point them this way.

A few years from fruition but.... least I can do.

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
January 13, 2017 10:37 am  

No, they can't drive themselves but they can set the ground work for getting a ride. Usually letting a coach know about their situation is the key. Coaches have access to other parents to see if they can help out.

Great job on the season. Impressive really. I like not naming starters. You earn it every week and can win or lose a job at any time. Keeps the kids focused and breathing fire in practice when you use that approach. Keeping practice competitive is what gives many great teams their edge.

Remember im dealing with 7-9 y/o kids.... And although the president of the org warned people constantly over the summer that we wouldn't tolerate cancers, and we didn't have issues with people whining to us about where their kids played, but I'm pretty sure that's why several of them weren't committed.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
January 13, 2017 10:46 am  

Remember im dealing with 7-9 y/o kids.... And although the president of the org warned people constantly over the summer that we wouldn't tolerate cancers, and we didn't have issues with people whining to us about where their kids played, but I'm pretty sure that's why several of them weren't committed.

I'm just saying any kid can go to a coach and let them know their situation. Then the coach can see if he can arrange a ride. Or a coach can go to a kid who misses and see what is up. I like the president's attitude and wish more were like that. I just hate running a practice where I don't know who is going to be there. I only ever had that last year and will never coach with a staff that allows it again. You don't show, you don't play. You don't show consistently and turn your stuff in. I don't want to detract from your season at all I was just pointing out that not having a ride is never an excuse in my mind. The other reasons kids don't show up are based on the parents egos most of the time.

ReplyQuote
Mudbug
(@mudbug)
Copper
January 13, 2017 10:51 am  

I'm just saying any kid can go to a coach and let them know their situation. Then the coach can see if he can arrange a ride. Or a coach can go to a kid who misses and see what is up. I like the president's attitude and wish more were like that. I just hate running a practice where I don't know who is going to be there. I only ever had that last year and will never coach with a staff that allows it again. You don't show, you don't play. You don't show consistently and turn your stuff in. I don't want to detract from your season at all I was just pointing out that not having a ride is never an excuse in my mind. The other reasons kids don't show up are based on the parents egos most of the time.

Total agreement from me.... I had to force the issue and it cost us a game but it was worth it. Sat a very good player for missing practice and took a loss before we really had the other kids up to speed. The only kids I'd hold out were those who missed but even then it's hard to do because I know the kids want to be there.....but it is what it is we are willing to mentor your child and pick them up, tutoring, whatever but if you refuse to bring your kid..... most if not all of those families won't have the opportunity to return next season.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
January 13, 2017 10:55 am  

Total agreement from me.... I had to force the issue and it cost us a game but it was worth it. Sat a very good player for missing practice and took a loss before we really had the other kids up to speed. The only kids I'd hold out were those who missed but even then it's hard to do because I know the kids want to be there.....but it is what it is we are willing to mentor your child and pick them up, tutoring, whatever but if you refuse to bring your kid..... most if not all of those families won't have the opportunity to return next season.

You can lead a horse to water..... Parents suck. Many make it about them or just don't care enough to bother to put forth any effort towards their kids. Then the kid ends up in trouble and it's the fault of everyone but themselves. Just crazy really.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 13, 2017 5:54 pm  

I hinted that we had a documentary filmed on us...the producers seems to think we can be direct competition for FNT. Going to film next year.

--Wow.  And you're going to do it?  There's no way I'd volunteer for that.  Pandora's Box...

I know at some point they'll ask where I got started considering I didn't play much myself... going to point them this way.

--Point who?  The TV Producers?  Okay guys, who's up for being on TV (other than DC)?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: