What defense is this?

CoachRule
(@jokerzraider)
Copper
Topic starter  

Can someone tell me what defense aligns this way:

C          X      X X X X    X            C

X        X      X

Corners stay wide the entire time. Any help on finding the name of the defense so that I can get the playbook would be great.

“On a team, it’s not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.” -- Bill Belichick

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Dunno, but I see this against us all the time.  Maybe I should get that playbook, too.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Dunno, but I see this against us all the time.  Maybe I should get that playbook, too.

--Dave

In HS? Really? Do you think it's because they scout you and know you only throw the ball during full moons in leap years?  😉

Seriously, though, we saw this a lot during Spring, but rarely in Fall and it seemed to be much more common with the younger teams. It's like they were selling out to stop the sweep, then decided one guy each side wasn't enough and thew the corners in to "double contain".  I've never seen one of these defenses do very well, though. My old teams would wreak havoc running off tackle power and my current team would shred them through the air.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In HS? Really? Do you think it's because they scout you and know you only throw the ball during full moons in leap years?

Hmmm.  That could be it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

Without actually seeing that against an offensive formation, it's hard to tell exactly what that alignment is.  Are there 4 DL in the 4 interior gaps?  Are those wide DEs or OLBs outside in contain?  How do the 3 LBs adjust to slot receivers?

If I had to give it a name based on what I can tell from the diagram, I'd take a wild guess that it was some variation of Gap 8 or maybe a GAM (Gap Air Mirror) defense.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Can someone tell me what defense aligns this way:

C          X      X X X X    X            C

X        X      X

Corners stay wide the entire time. Any help on finding the name of the defense so that I can get the playbook would be great.

Very few teams will have the discipline to run between the tackles. Most, the super majority will let their backs run wherever. And in most of those cases the back thinks he will beat everybody outside.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

How far back are the LB's?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Hard to say. Without techs and positions you really can't tell. I have a sneaky feeling it is some crazy youth DC who is trying to run what he ran in hs and is screwing it up or something along those lines. It looks like a really unsound 6-3.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Hard to say. Without techs and positions you really can't tell. I have a sneaky feeling it is some crazy youth DC who is trying to run what he ran in hs and is screwing it up or something along those lines. It looks like a really unsound 6-3.

That is what I was thinking.  Could be a 6-3 with the Mike playing up tight because they don't expect there to be any throwing.  I hate when my Mike gets too close or too far away from the LOS because it makes for some bad angles or getting caught in the wash. 

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

It's a D you should throw on....a lot.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
coachkev
(@coachkev)
Silver

Likely a bastardized version of GAM and/or 6-3 so I doubt you’ll find literature specific to it.  Goaline defense
Are you facing a team that runs this or are you interested in running it yourself?

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

It's a D you should throw on....a lot.

TE Corner!  ;D

ReplyQuote
Share: