What do you or woul...

Notifications

What do you or would you have in your tackling circuit?  

RSS

Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
January 14, 2017 4:47 pm  

If you were to have a tackling circuit what would be in it? 

Fit and drive, angle tackle, two man tackle and punch, post and tackle, ricochet and tackle, open field tackle

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
January 16, 2017 2:11 pm  

Virtually all practice tackles for me are angle tackles for safety.  Even when two tacklers take on a runner they are spaced so as to not hit at the same time (We don't want this in a game either.  More than once I have had two tacklers knock themselves off a runner.).  We usually limited ourselves to four drills of 20 minutes each.  The first was "cross the bow" which we also use as a warmup drill on gameday.  The second drill was to lay tackling bags down to create running lanes.  The runner can move sideways, pick a lane that he wants, and go through.  The defender mirrors him and picks the same lane and the two meet.  The purpose of the tackling dummies is to limit the width of the running lane.  All my defenses work based on the concept of denying the runner space.  In confined space runners don't do well and the tackler develops confidence from successfully stopping even a good runner (We get 100% stops.).  After two twenty minute drills we usually scrimmage (more fun) and then go back to two more twenty minute drills.  This usually includes "Oakie" drill with a second tackler behind assigned to stripping the ball from the runner after the first hits.  Everyone should know that stripping a ball from a runner/receiver is very easy to do when the runner doesn't expect it.  In just 3-4 carries you should have the ball.  However, in a game, no one's thinking about stripping the runner.  You can practice "Oakie" all season and not strip a runner.  But, if you tell them on the sideline during the game to go take that ball away, in four plays it should be yours.  But without telling them it won't happen.  So this is a wasted drill until you make it a mission.  The final drill is sweep contain and reverse.  We let the defense learn to "trail" ahgainst cutback and use the sideline.  Again, we get 100% stops.   

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 16, 2017 6:19 pm  

We run a grid, got the idea from x and o labs and modified it for how we tackle.

Knee wrestle
Form vs a shield
3/4 to ground...close (1 yard apart)
3/4 to ground far ( 5 yards)
Angle far to ground
5 live reps starting at 5 yards apart open field tackling

That grid takes 10 minutes, every player gets 5 reps, knee wrestle is 1 minute everyone has a partner

Then we move to 3, 10 min period
-goaline tackle
-  eye opener
- sideline tackle

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 17, 2017 8:03 pm  

Tee Time, Bullet Drill, X-Factor, Executioner, Twin Cannons, Sweep Drill,

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ArizonaVol
(@arizonavol)
Bronze
January 18, 2017 6:18 am  

We run a grid, got the idea from x and o labs and modified it for how we tackle.

Knee wrestle
Form vs a shield
3/4 to ground...close (1 yard apart)
3/4 to ground far ( 5 yards)
Angle far to ground
5 live reps starting at 5 yards apart open field tackling

That grid takes 10 minutes, every player gets 5 reps, knee wrestle is 1 minute everyone has a partner

Then we move to 3, 10 min period
-goaline tackle
-  eye opener
- sideline tackle

Zach, could you elaborate a little bit?  So if I am reading it correctly you are setting aside 40 minutes for this series of tackling drills specifically.  Can you explain your goal line, eye opener, and sideline tackle drills that you do.  I have incorporated much of your tackling stuff over the last couple of years and it has suited me well that is why i'm asking.

thx

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 18, 2017 7:13 am  

Zach, could you elaborate a little bit?  So if I am reading it correctly you are setting aside 40 minutes for this series of tackling drills specifically.  Can you explain your goal line, eye opener, and sideline tackle drills that you do.  I have incorporated much of your tackling stuff over the last couple of years and it has suited me well that is why i'm asking.

thx

We have 1 hour on each side of the ball (offense/defense) we do fundamentals for 10  min...tackle grid /turn over grid
30 min 3 group circuit of defensive situations mainly tackling or block avoidance + tackling

Goaline drill

Draw or make a line (end zone) , tackler then takes one step off of it. Thats where he plays from. Runner is 2 yards from the defender. Boundary is 53 yards apart. On movement the drill begins... runner and tackler must be infront of eachother to start the drill.

Eye opener is what others call shuffle fill we do it like usa football does it

http://www.afmservers.com/share/?p=1753

Side line tackle drill

Rb and defender are 10 yards apart on the boundary hashmark. First whistle rb starts toward sideline like on a sweep...second whistle rb can turn up field and the tackler can pursue.

End zone is 10 yds behind the defender. If rb goes out of bounds push ups, if rb scores defender does push ups.

These are the most common. I want to expose my kids to as many open field, game type scenarios as possible.

Most tackle drills i put the defender in an obvious yet recoverable disadvantage so come game time its all gravy

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
February 8, 2017 8:17 am  

I always add in a turn-over station.  Great return on investment.

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
February 8, 2017 8:20 am  

I always add in a turn-over station.  Great return on investment.

Coach,

Could you share?

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
February 8, 2017 6:42 pm  

Nothing earth shattering but:

I first talk about 2nd or 3rd defenders to the ball carrier,  how to leverage the tip of the football and rip it out. 

I also teach them they can lift the RB's ball carrying elbow and punch the ball down and out.

Another one is the DB from behind the ball carrier, grab the jersey with one hand and upper cut just under the ball side armpit.

I just want every defender to always be thinking turnover and showing them how to "rip the tip" at every opportunity.  It also doubles as a RB point of contact awareness drill.

I show them slowly early in training camp and progress throughout the year.  I will through in a turnover drill almost daily....just 5-10 minutes is all it takes.  It becomes very noticeable on game day,

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
Share: