Your approach to be...

Notifications
Clear all

Your approach to becoming a better tackling team?

Page 3 / 4

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Aggressiveness, trying to overcome aggressiveness, or not saying "but"?

Not saying but, lol. I catch myself doing it all the time.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Not saying but, lol. I catch myself doing it all the time.

Try to think of a time you've ever not been depressed/annoyed when getting a compliment followed by "but."

I just don't think it's the fastest path to getting better.  You end up undermining a lot of the things you're trying to reinforce.  And I can get the stuff that would go after the "but" addressed in other ways.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I've probably written this here before, but I don't trust either my, or my players', ability to turn it on and then turn it off quickly enough to make a difference between taking an opponent to the ground and stopping just short of taking them down.  Seems when I've seen it tried, if we're just blowing a quick whistle, it hardly ever makes a difference as to whether they go down, but if we're telling them in advance not to take the opponent down, then I'm afraid we'll reinforce bad technique.

I'd like to read of others' experience in that regard.  Can you tune it finely enough to make a difference in injury potential without hurting performance?

Yes.

If your base technique is an upward blow with driving feet the runners don't typically go down instantly (we are holding them up after all) so not taking them all the way to the ground works just fine in practice and you can do it at full speed.

You still go to ground every once in a while when you want to in a full on scrimmage or something, but it's not needed as much and practice is safer.

If you are teaching a low tackle on a far ankle or something it's different, but people typically teach that with dummies.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Try to think of a time you've ever not been depressed/annoyed when getting a compliment followed by "but."

I just don't think it's the fastest path to getting better.  You end up undermining a lot of the things you're trying to reinforce.  And I can get the stuff that would go after the "but" addressed in other ways.

Give an example or say why that is better.  I do this all the time too. 

I might say love the aggression keep coming in that hard and fast or great job keeping your head up, but next time I want you to ... come in lower or fire the arms up rather than reach out or drive through the hit or whatever the one thing I decided to point out was.

If they did something right I want to keep that and build off it.

I don't want to gain something new and then lose something I liked at same time, so I try to reinforce the things they are doing right at the same time I am correcting what they are doing wrong.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I might say love the aggression keep coming in that hard and fast or great job keeping your head up, but next time I want you to ... come in lower or fire the arms up rather than reach out or drive through the hit or whatever the one thing I decided to point out was.

I'd go with something like this:

GREAT job hitting him! THAT's how you do it!  On the next one, come in even lower and hit him even harder.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

A coach once told me once you say but, you might as well have not even said what you said prior to saying but. And thinking about it, he is right.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Dave – Aggressive, disciplined play was always the goal.  Early on I had more success teaching aggression than discipline.  This was complicated by the fact that they weren’t playing the same position week to week.  Game day it was a full on blitz every down even though I had just reminded each player what his responsibilities were.  It was my failing to get them coached up.

By the back end of the season we had it sorted out and we were playing good D, with the exception of missing some tackles.  One of my banquet stories will be about the boy who ended up as our starting Will as a first year, 42 pounder.  One of the biggest hits of the season was in our first playoff game when he stuffed a 60 lb fullback on a dive play.  He got up with his bell rung and a big grin.  My grin was even bigger.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Dave – Aggressive, disciplined play was always the goal.  Early on I had more success teaching aggression than discipline.  This was complicated by the fact that they weren’t playing the same position week to week.  Game day it was a full on blitz every down even though I had just reminded each player what his responsibilities were.  It was my failing to get them coached up.

By the back end of the season we had it sorted out and we were playing good D, with the exception of missing some tackles.  One of my banquet stories will be about the boy who ended up as our starting Will as a first year, 42 pounder.  One of the biggest hits of the season was in our first playoff game when he stuffed a 60 lb fullback on a dive play.  He got up with his bell rung and a big grin.  My grin was even bigger.

RJ

You were coaching 6 year olds?    Anything you can get them to do that looks right is a miracle in my eyes. 

I had 7's once and half the time they didn't know if we were currently on offense or defense. 

Aside from the HC that year, one of my most enjoyable years ever. 

I only got to be in the huddle and call it in one game, but I LOVED being in the huddle with the kids every play.    It was so funny.  I would ask them their opinions on this or that during the game just to see what they would say.  I wish I wrote them all down.       

You are super coach dealing with even younger kids successfully.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Have you tried yelling, " Tackle Somebody".  8)

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I kid you not, I have a "Block somebody, they aren't blocking anybody!" AC.  That's another ongoing project.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

I guess if he blocked his own teammate, then all would be good.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I kid you not, I have a "Block somebody, they aren't blocking anybody!" AC.  That's another ongoing project.

RJ

RJ

We have a rule that if a Coach blurts that out....10 push ups and hit the fence with Godzilla.  😉

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I guess if he blocked his own teammate, then all would be good.

UF is the best at blocking their own team mates!

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

RJ

We have a rule that if a Coach blurts that out....10 push ups and hit the fence with Godzilla.  😉

Now that is a great idea.

RJ

ReplyQuote
seeindouble
(@seeindouble)
Gold

Practice tackling all you want....create 11 Ray Lewis types ASAP and I guarantee they will tackle like Tom Brady in the games if they do not know their jobs.

Basically...excellent technique dont mean squat until they first learn how to play the game. Even a crappy tackler becomes an excellent tackler when he is in the right place at the right time.  😉 😉

BINGO!

You either STOP THE PLAY in your AREA OF RESPONSIBLITY, or you START THE STOP!

SIMPLE!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: