Youth Defense

Page 2 / 2

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

How you manage your practices.

--In what regard?

How you're going to train ACs that maybe just got assigned to you and have no clue about your system and methods.

--When I coached youth ball, I didn't have coaches who were assigned to me.  I didn't have that situation.  In the off-season, when I knew there were dads or volunteers who wanted to work with us, they were given the off-season to attend our org meetings, my staff meetings, to coach at the spring camps and the summer conditioning.  If they did all that, they could coach with me in the Fall.  If they didn't do all that, they didn't coach with me.  I wouldn't allow it.  Very simple.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

The biggest thing for me when I first started coaching was practice organization and doing things that would help me accomplish the result that I was looking for.

Sometimes coaches have too many things to choose from. They read and study and pick out a few things they like in the way of schemes, drills, etc., but struggle to put them in a cohesive plan where their team can benefit from them. NOTE: This is under the assumption that they can coach these in the first place.

Maybe we're talking about making practices more efficient. It has also been expressed on here by others to better organize time. Some accomplish a lot in a short time frame while others accomplish nothing and maybe have practiced for 2-3 hours.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Made flight reservations today for Palm Springs this December.  Temp there in December ranges between 70 in the mid-afternoon to 44 at night.  It looks like I'll be in the pool during the day and in the hot tub at night.  So I'm packing the speedo and the parka. ???

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The biggest thing for me when I first started coaching was practice organization

--And that's one of the things you should most pay attention to when you start coaching.  Because you don't need coaching experience to be organized.  Do what you can do.  And being organized is one of those things.

and doing things that would help me accomplish the result that I was looking for.

--That should be the ONLY reason to do ANYTHING at practice: know the result you are looking for.

Sometimes coaches have too many things to choose from.

--Yes, that's me.  I spent years trying to get 4 hours of practice time to fit into a 2-hour space.  Doesn't work.  Now I know what to fit into that 2-hour space.  Took me a while to pare it down.

Maybe we're talking about making practices more efficient. It has also been expressed on here by others to better organize time.

--Yes.  Whether you can have short practices and get in and out quickly like Cisar, or you're like me, having longer practices because I want to get everything I can possibly get in, in a single day...the point of it, like Cisar says is "effectiveness and efficiency."  Do you waste time?  Do you make progress?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

packing the speedo

Really didn’t need that visual, thanks DP.  ???

Please tell me it’s not a banana hammock version !?

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Really didn’t need that visual, thanks DP.  ???

It's a lot warmer in Palm Springs.

So it might be like how everything fits in the luggage when you leave but doesn't when you are ready to come back.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The speedo goes well with the assless chaps. And yes, I have been told all chaps are missing the ass part.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The speedo goes well with the assless chaps.

I have the chaps, too.  But I've never worn them with the speedo.  Gives me an idea....

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Really didn’t need that visual, thanks DP.

--When you've got the gift, you share it.  Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

--It's the Paul Bunyon version.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I have the chaps, too.  But I've never worn them with the speedo.  Gives me an idea....

--Dave

Two things I will never wear...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: