1st week of High Sc...

Notifications
Clear all

1st week of High School "Spring Football"

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Weather leading up to Game 1 was atrocious.  We painted the field on Tuesday and Friday morning they redid the main stripes again as almost 4 inches of rain all but washed it clean!   That being said the Field maintained its grip for the most part did not get too sloppy at all.

Regarding the Play.   A lot of rust and timing issues as expected but it seemed to vanish quickly once they got the First Contact Jitters (Essentially the first series) out of the way.  Program we played was missing their QB due to Basketball Concussion and lack of required practice time to play.  We had some players out due to "Covid" Contact Tracing Rules.  However, Offense amassed 300 plus yards on the ground and right around 100 yards passing enroute to a 64-12 win.  Defensively the inexperience QB and pressure invoked by the deluge of miscues allowed the Ball Hawks to pin their ears back and go more often than not.  Their 12 points were answered by our JV squad.    

Hard to establish a baseline with this kind of game.  This weeks opponent is a Perennial State Quarterfinalist and Finalist.  This one will definitely establish a baseline to go on. 

Bottom Line is I was so happy and grateful to see kids playing again.   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

Coyote, Seth54 and mahonz liked
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @youth-coach

Weather leading up to Game 1 was atrocious.  We painted the field on Tuesday and Friday morning they redid the main stripes again as almost 4 inches of rain all but washed it clean!   That being said the Field maintained its grip for the most part did not get too sloppy at all.

Regarding the Play.   A lot of rust and timing issues as expected but it seemed to vanish quickly once they got the First Contact Jitters (Essentially the first series) out of the way.  Program we played was missing their QB due to Basketball Concussion and lack of required practice time to play.  We had some players out due to "Covid" Contact Tracing Rules.  However, Offense amassed 300 plus yards on the ground and right around 100 yards passing enroute to a 64-12 win.  Defensively the inexperience QB and pressure invoked by the deluge of miscues allowed the Ball Hawks to pin their ears back and go more often than not.  Their 12 points were answered by our JV squad.    

Hard to establish a baseline with this kind of game.  This weeks opponent is a Perennial State Quarterfinalist and Finalist.  This one will definitely establish a baseline to go on. 

Bottom Line is I was so happy and grateful to see kids playing again.   

How do you like coaching with a mask on, Scott?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Not coaching this year at all Dave.  After Covid wiped out last seasons JFL Schedule, I decided to step away after 18 years.  I am still involved Administratively with Youth Ball and, for the last several years, I have been part of the Chain Gang for the High School Program. It's kind of nice being able to sit back and observe for a change.   These Seniors are the last group I coached all the way up from 5th grade. Senior Starting Varsity QB was my QB in JFL.  

I am fully Immunized for against the Creeping Crud that is Covid but we are required to wear masks on the Sidelines because we are around the kids.  I could see some difficulty with the Staff trying to communicate plays to the field.  Masks force you to Over Exaggerate your enunciation.  Even then Tight, Right, and White Z(Color Calls for wrist bands) are very confusing.  (OBSERVATIONAL NOTE)  Use Hand Gestures or Chip Kelly Sign Boards!  

jmho

This post was modified 1 month ago by Dusty Ol Fart

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

@coachdp

The mask didn’t bother me much during football, just felt like it kept the sound in so I had to really project. I actually kind of liked having a face cover when things got cold in Pennsylvania. I just finished coaching my son’s basketball team, where coaches and players wore masks, and that was definitely weird. A couple times I was running around with the kids and thought it was really hard to breathe with the mask on. Not sure how the kids did it, except they’re so adaptable at that age they just go with the flow. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @seth54

The mask didn’t bother me much during football, just felt like it kept the sound in so I had to really project.

I hate the thing.  Absolutely hate it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: