Notifications
Clear all

2-0

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Won tonight, 41-19.  For the second week in a row, we scored on the first play from scrimmage (Inside Trap).  Took it about 80 yards.  We lead 21-6 at the half.  We had another TD called back on a hold.  We also threw a pic in the end zone (which we did last week, as well).  Final should have been 56-19.  Opponent had a team with good size; their o-line and d-line was bigger than ours.  We couldn't really move them off the LOS the way I wanted, but we did keep our RBs clean.  Our opponent's issue was that they could not put a consistent drive together.  I'm coaching the JV o-line full-time now.  We have 6 linemen for 5 spots.  I rotate them so they get equal playing time.  One of our linemen played all 5 o-line spots tonight; the first time I've ever had that happen.  I just rotated him on every series, because he's good enough to play each spot. 2-0 on the season.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote, terrypjohnson, patriotsfatboy1 and 1 people liked
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

I love hearing about the rotations. I think a lot of coaches, especially inexperienced coaches, are afraid to do anything but let their best guys suck up all the reps.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Are they allowing spectators at your games?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @seth54

I love hearing about the rotations.

I love for all my players to get playing time, for them to battle each other for time in practice and to advocate for themselves.  It keeps players from getting complacent and thinking they own a starting job and it shows that I have confidence in them.  (The "Gimme 11" concept that we started years ago.)  Since I focus on all 6 of them, they each have the confidence in themselves to own a starting position.  At practice during Indy and Group, they all rep together at the same time getting the same number of reps.  Once we go to Team, I rotate David 2 plays at each spot (C, G, T), so even though he's the sub, he never comes out.  Each starter comes out for a maximum of 2 consecutive plays before going back in.  When David changes to another position, he chooses the next spot he's going to take.  Again, he's the SUB yet he not only controls which position he'll play next, HE tells who to go out (which is important in teaching players to have confidence and advocate for themselves).  The lineman coming out knows he's barely going to have enough time to grab a drink of water before turning around and heading back in.  It's fast paced and tiring since we're a No-Huddle with Tempo.  I think we have one guy (a sophomore Tackle) who has the possibility of playing somewhere at the next level, but the other 5 are squat and undersized.  They all work well with each other and I've enjoyed coaching them, much more so than I have this crazy offense.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote and Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @32wedge

Are they allowing spectators at your games?

Only the home team's spectators.  I guess the visiting team's spectators are the ones who bring the Covid. 😏 We were at home, last night.  Tonight the Varsity is on the road.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Last night, I told my (starting) Center that he would not play "the first series" at Center and that David (the sub) would start instead.  (Of course, that "series" turned out to be one play, as we ran Inside Trap for an 80-yard touchdown.)  Anyway, he told me he wasn't happy about it.  I told him that I was glad he wasn't happy about not starting.  I said, "I want guys who not only want to play, but need to play.  If you were okay with David starting over you, I'd have a problem with that.  It would look like you didn't care.  I'm glad you want to start.  I'm glad you're not happy about it.  And I'm glad you're letting me know about it.  If you don't put yourself at the front of the line, you'll sit at the back and everyone else will pass you by.  That tells me a lot about you and it's all good."  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Prodigy liked
ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

I rotate them so they get equal playing time. 

--Dave

Dave,

Is this something that you also did with your younger youth teams? I know you are really big on playing your best 11 on both sides of the ball, so I would like to know how this translates to younger ages for you. 

--Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bdjackson

Is this something that you also did with your younger youth teams? I know you are really big on playing your best 11 on both sides of the ball, so I would like to know how this translates to younger ages for you. 

A player rotation is something we always did in youth ball.  First of all, an MPR mandated it somewhat.  Add to that, I disliked seeing only 1/3 to 1/2 of the team get heavy playing time when everyone is working hard.  How do you demand that everyone work hard if there's no playing time as a reward?  The harder I worked everyone, the more I knew everyone deserved to play.  Many coaches don't work everyone hard, just their starters.  But predictably, the harder I worked everyone, the more everyone improved.  So the more everyone played.

Last year when I was coaching RBs, they each worked equally hard.  How do I know?  I coached them.  As a result, I played all 3 of them in the 1st Half of every game.  At half time, we decided "who had the hot hand" and would go from there.  Predictably (and fortunately) that dynamic changed every week, so one week you were getting the bulk of the carries and the following week, you were last in carries.  It really kept the RBs on their toes, they didn't miss practice, they worked to outwork each other in the weight room and competed with each other.  

When I was a high school header at a 1A school, we only had 3-4 RBs in the DW so playing time wasn't an issue.  We needed anyone who had a pulse.  But when I went to a 4A and became the OC at the 10th largest high school in the state, we had plenty of RBs for our Double Wing.  In my first year as OC, here is their statistical breakdown of their carries:

Back 1. 74 carries, 715 yards, 9.6 avg.  11 TDs

Back 2. 117 carries, 650 yards, 5.5 avg.  7 TDs

Back 3. 70 carries, 612 yards, 8.7 avg.  9 TDs

Back 4. 49 carries, 316 yards, 6.4 avg.  1 TD

Back 5. 53 carries, 237 yards, 4.4 avg.  1 TD

Back 6. 53  carries, 215 yards, 4.0 avg.  0 TD

Back 7. 12 carries, 100 yards, 8.3 avg.  2 TDs

Back 8. 18 carries, 85 yards, 4.7 avg.  0 TD

Keep in mind that Backs 7 & 8 were moved to the Varsity early in the season, which is why they're at the bottom of the chart in carries and yards.  That's a 2-Deep RB breakdown for our 2014 Double Wing.  None of them went on to play college football.  We lead the conference in scoring (29.4). 

But keep in mind that a rotation is very different from our "Gimme 11" and "If you want in, get in" approach.  One of my best conversations with Michael was about not just using the approach at practice, but in games.  And when I was the header at EWHS, our players would literally fight to get reps at practice and in games....which is what we wanted.  We wanted it to be that important to them.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Brian, the biggest challenge (imo) about doing rotations and getting everyone equal playing time at the youth level is do you have the TIME and the COACHING ABILITY to do it?  You have to be a good enough coach to coach everyone to your standard, OR you have to have several coaches who are good enough to coach up their group, so there's little fall-off.  Our header allows me to coach the RBs and O-Line and substitute at my discretion.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Great stuff, Dave. So glad to read these updates again! 

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Our Varsity won last night, 41-0.  We scored on the first play of the game, which makes 3 times in the past 4 games (2 for JV, 2 for Varsity) that we've done that.  Game was freezing and while it wasn't THE coldest game I've ever coached in, it still had to be one of the worst.  The worst aspect was wearing the mask.  It was so cold that as soon as I breathe or talk, the hot & cold air condenses and it's like coaching with a wet washcloth rubbing your mouth.  Miserable.  The players' mask now attach to their facemask so that it doesn't actually come in contact with their face.  I should wear a game helmet while I'm coaching, but if I did that the headset wouldn't fit. lol

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: