Notifications
Clear all

Our 2000 Season

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I found my game-by-game playbook from our 2000 season.  This was my 2nd year as a Pop Warner youth football head coach.  I coached 7-9s and we ran the table for the first time, going undefeated and winning the first conference championship in our org's history.

W 19-6

W 26-0

W 42-6 (Slaughter Rule)

W 34-6

W 33-0

W 39-0 (Slaughter Rule)

W 40-0 (Slaughter Rule)

W 27-6 Conference Championship Game

Points For: 260 (32.5 ppg)

Points Against: 24 (4.0 ppg)

At season's end, our conference changed its Slaughter Rule (from the Pop Warner national rule) from 35 to 28 points.  In addition, we were no longer allowed to go on offense, as long as we maintained a 28-point margin.  We did not trail in any game this season, although we were tied 6-6 at halftime in the conference championship game.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

You probably won all of those games because you installed a super secret triple reverse spread option flea flicker pass to the uncovered tackle? 😆 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @32wedge

You probably won all of those games because you installed a super secret triple reverse spread option flea flicker pass to the uncovered tackle? 😆 

Yes, that's exactly right Nathan.  As every coach knows, it's all about your genius as an offensive inventor.  As coaches, we should spend the bulk of our time either making up an offense, or taking an established offense and removing its blocking rules (y'know, dumbing it down for the kids) and then going on YouTube and sharing with the masses this new offense you've just "invented."

Actually, I knew nothing about offense and even less about scheme.  What I knew about coaching, you could fit up a fly's rear end.  However, I knew enough that I didn't want to self-inflict damage, so my players focused on how to execute what basic responsibilities they had and I pushed them very hard from Day 1.  The few things that I did know, we did over and over.  We weren't diverse, but we were sound.

We came very close to losing Game 1, as we were leading only 13-6 in the 4th Quarter, and our opponent had the ball with a 3rd & 3 at our 6-yard line.  There was time for 3 plays left and on 3rd Down we stuffed them for a 4-yard loss.  On 4th Down at our 10-yard line, they ran the ball, and we stopped them inside our 5-yard line.  Taking over possession just inside our 5, a penalty moved us back half the distance to the goal at our 2-yard line.  I was worried that if our QB took a knee to run out the clock, he might get a Safety so I called a time-out and told our QB to stay out of our endzone, and run as far to the sidelines as he could get, to run out the clock.  He did just that, turned the corner and ran 98 yards for a touchdown on the game's final play.  We won, 19-6.

I called a very conservative game, believing that if we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot, that our opponent would and we would win.  However, I believe our opponent had the same strategy.  I realized this was a closer game than it should have been and I needed to stop playing so close to the vest.  We were already physical; we needed to become better offensively.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54, Coyote and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Share: