2018 Numbers....bad

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Numbers....bad

Page 15 / 18

Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

Eh, I don't think there are any official credibility criteria.

Some people think the other stuff matters a lot.  Some people think it doesn't matter at all.  Some people think age group matters, or high school vs. youth matters.  Some people think that stuff doesn't matter.  Whatever they think, they think.

I've gotten a ton out of going to clinics for other sports.  But some people think if you haven't coached the same age group, with the same demographics, your experience is irrelevant.  But that's up to them.  They can do what they want with whatever info they get.  Or allow themselves to get, anyway.

For the record, what you (and others on here) have told me, coaching is teaching and that's what counts. The subject matter can change, but can you teach it.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

But you're not selling your coaching experience outside of football as giving you credibility.  It's your work AS a football coach, that gives you credence here.

--Dave

Coaching other sports, IN ADDITION TO, coaching football . . . . . .

BTW - is it necessary to have experienced playing the game to be a good coach?  How would you know what it's like if you haven't experienced it?  ??? 😛

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

This has been semi-entertaining but gone WAY off the rails.

Lar made the best point. We shouldn't confuse the growth of an organization...or handful or organizations with the growth of the game.

I'm certain there was a buggy whip manufacturer who experienced growth in the midst of an industry that was soon to be extinct.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

This has been semi-entertaining but gone WAY off the rails.

As I've said before, I consider threads to be like the 4x400m relay.  Lanes early on, and then everyone breaks for wherever they want.  After the first two pages or so, pretty much anything goes.  Which is not to say everyone would agree.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

BTW - is it necessary to have experienced playing the game to be a good coach?  How would you know what it's like if you haven't experienced it?  ??? 😛

I don't agree with this statement btw, but it's less ludicrous than saying coaching other sports don't matter.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

As I've said before, I consider threads to be like the 4x400m relay.  Lanes early on, and then everyone breaks for wherever they want.  After the first two pages or so, pretty much anything goes.  Which is not to say everyone would agree.

Can we go to Africa?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The subject matter can change, but can you teach it.

Yes, you can.  IF you know what you're talking about.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Michael has a unique perspective- no agenda and he is a voracious reader

Absolutely.  I have definitely used more of his ideas than anyone's here.  (Except that wide-splits thing....)

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

is it necessary to have experienced playing the game to be a good coach?

--Of course.  Absolutely.

How would you know what it's like if you haven't experienced it?

--No idea.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I have to keep posting on this thread because it keeps me from going on the DW thread and pointing out that I thought the whole point of the DW was having a traffic jam.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

To the topic of generic coaching being of value

I think so
Have had to coach a couple of sports I either didnt play or didnt play very well
Simple to do- as long as its not select

I ALWAYS bought a book and DVD or two- never wanted to invest 100s of hours in being a great girls soccer or baseball coach
Watched a couple of really good coaches practice their team- 2 baseball practices, 1 soccer practice

Then its all about
Critical Success factors- what are they, where/how do I concentrate be effective at these
Practice priorities
Teaching= progressions
Quality Control
Pace
Team management
Parent management
Game day management
Asst coach- management
Motivation
Adjustments
Communicating

I did pretty well even though I disliked both sports
Coaching is coaching

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

Absolutely.  I have definitely used more of his ideas than anyone's here.  (Except that wide-splits thing....)

--Dave

But if I recall correctly, Michael didn't play the game. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

But if I recall correctly, Michael didn't play the game.

And if I recall correctly, neither did I.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

And if I recall correctly, neither did I.

--Dave

So you do not consider yourself a good coach?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

So you do not consider yourself a good coach?

Honestly Brian, I just do the best I can.  That's all I can do.  Whether what I do is of any value to my players or other coaches is for them to decide.  Opinions?  Everybody's got one.  You and I could both have entirely different opinions of the same coach.  Who's right?  As for my conversation with Arnie (Malibu), I was being tongue in cheek.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 18
Share: