3 teams merge, coac...

Notifications
Clear all

3 teams merge, coach from the lower level is HC, only invites a few players

Page 2 / 6

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In our league many years ago, some coaches would get together ahead of the August 14th season start and hold practices throughout the summer. They would have a distinct advantage over the rest of the teams.

How so?  What were they doing?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

How so?  What were they doing?

--Dave

These coaches would practice schemes, special teams, you name it; anything you can teach without pads. By the time the season came around, their team would be way ahead of all the other teams in the league. The big advantage was that they would get at least twice as many reps with the plays as any other team. It was against the rules, so they would do what someone else mentioned: have picnics, BBQ's, etc. Back then, teams and coaches would be determined and announced by mid-June. The league's fix to this was to keep everyone in the dark until just before the season started.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Why not just allow off-season practice?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

--Dave

Good question. Never understood the rule but still followed it.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

--Dave

In many cases it could be an insurance issue, more so if the town only allows you to hold practice from Aug-Dec.  In our cause, it was a league, not program, bylaw that states no practice of any kind before Aug 1st

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In many cases it could be an insurance issue, more so if the town only allows you to hold practice from Aug-Dec.  In our cause, it was a league, not program, bylaw that states no practice of any kind before Aug 1st

You're right.  It could be, if you were holding that practice under the banner of that league.  On the other hand, if I wanted to take a group of kids across the street to teach, throw the ball around and have fun there's no league that I am part of that has the legal right to tell me I can't.  Pop Warner gave up that fight years ago, because they knew they had no grounds to enforce it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

--Dave

Don't know. Especially since now they are forcing the high school playbook down onto all teams from 3rd grade on up. You would think that they want kids to be getting as many reps as possible.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
DANGERZONE
(@dangerzone)
Bronze

coach from my point of view most other coaches don't wanna put the time and work in and would rather have their summer football free. It punishes the guys that wanna work

--Dave

‎"I make my practices real hard ........because if a player is a quitter.....I want him to quit in practice, not in a game."
Bear Bryant / Alabama

"It's amazing what you can accomplish if enough people care" Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Good question. Never understood the rule but still followed it.

It's a limitation same as all other rules -- like, why can't you have 13 players from your team in the game?  Extra practice is an advantage like extra players.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Extra practice is an advantage like extra players.

No, it's not like having 13 players on the field.  Extra practice may only be helpful if a coach knows what to do with it.  Some guys could take an extra year of preparation and it wouldn't make a difference.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

from my point of view most other coaches don't wanna put the time and work in and would rather have their summer football free. It punishes the guys that wanna work

Agree.  THAT'S the real issue...Coach A wants to sit on his butt all off-season and doesn't want to see Coach B get better (who's willing to put the work in), so Coach A sees to it that practicing in the off-season is illegal so that he can sit on the sofa while claiming he's "just thinking about the kids."

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Agree.  THAT'S the real issue...Coach A wants to sit on his butt all off-season and doesn't want to see Coach B get better (who's willing to put the work in), so Coach A sees to it that practicing in the off-season is illegal so that he can sit on the sofa while claiming he's "just thinking about the kids."

--Dave

I agree with you to a point coach.  It is hard to find anyone to help coach where I am so I volunteer my time to coach.  I also coach ice hockey and baseball and have 3 active kids, my 2 boys at times play multiple sports at the same time except football in the fall, but they do ice hockey and hoops in the winter and baseball and lacrosse in the spring, then I have my daughter who dose competitive dance.  I really have no time to coach or run weekly practices after the season as my first commitment off-season is to my family.  Look what happened to that  Charles Chavarria guy, lol.

Now, if the league I play in allows for off season practice, it does not, well then knowing the person and coach I am, I would have to find time to keep up with the other coaches who maybe only coach football and nothing else or do not have the commitments I do.  But if they are getting a fair and legal edge on me and my kids, then it is on me to keep the pace or else step aside and find someone who can.

Thankfully that is not the case but I am also certain that other teams are holding practices with just their players.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Look what happened to that  Charles Chavarria guy

Don't ever compare yourself to him.  Seriously.  Ever.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I have been a part of this debate at the Board Level before.

The issue with Football is mostly insurance. When an Org fires up for the Season they pull insurance for the Kids and then have to give that Certificate to the entity that is renting them facilities. Unlike Baseball where you have City run batting cages or Basketball where you have City run outdoor courts... with Tackle Football there is no City run anything.

Now you can get your kids together and play touch Football down at the Park all you want or have a conditioning camp. The problem is many will introduce hand shields or tacking dummies or start asking the kids to show up in helmets only....and yes some are dumb enough to pad up. Now you have opened yourself up to MAJOR liabilities if there is an injury. Even a cone that you place in the grass that was not put there by the City is an out for any Insurance Company.

So...practice all you want. The League has no power or ownership over your kids in the off season. None...no mater what they say. Just remember this Rule is in place to protect you from yourself. Now if you have a really big back yard....pad up and slobber knock all you want....your Home Owners Insurance will protect you.

PS...The Company Team I keep referring too in my posts....the Director of that Org has his own Turf Field in his back yard with lights. He can practice his Teams all he wants 365 days a year.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

So...this is an interesting topic...

In Texas, we have UIL that governs what is allowed for school sports, and it starts with Junior High (7th and 8th Grade) and continues through HS.

They have very specific requirements regarding when practices can be held. For Junior High, not before the first day of school, for HS, depends on whether or not they held spring football workouts.

It also dictates when you can go into pads, how many scrimmages you can have, how long the practices may be, what constitutes a practice, etc.

I am fairly confident that each state has a similar governing body.

So, playing devil's advocate, why shouldn't leagues be able to dictate when practices may begin for youth? I am assuming the UIL's rules are made to guide the coaches and protect the students from the "under-qualified".

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6
Share: