Notifications
Clear all

3 teams merge, coach from the lower level is HC, only invites a few players

Page 3 / 6

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Don't ever compare yourself to him.  Seriously.  Ever.

--Dave

;D

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

So...this is an interesting topic...

In Texas, we have UIL that governs what is allowed for school sports, and it starts with Junior High (7th and 8th Grade) and continues through HS.

They have very specific requirements regarding when practices can be held. For Junior High, not before the first day of school, for HS, depends on whether or not they held spring football workouts.

It also dictates when you can go into pads, how many scrimmages you can have, how long the practices may be, what constitutes a practice, etc.

I am fairly confident that each state has a similar governing body.

So, playing devil's advocate, why shouldn't leagues be able to dictate when practices may begin for youth? I am assuming the UIL's rules are made to guide the coaches and protect the students from the "under-qualified".

C

This Governing Body is in place to protect the kids from the Insane. Even the Coaches are mandated to take a certain block of time off in Colo....typically the month of July.

Youth Orgs do dictate for their own League...their insurance starts on X date and expires on X date. What you do outside of that...you are on your own. Look at FBU...they are playing Championships well into January but they carry all liability. Same thing for any Spring League but these are all Independent Leagues. School Sports are dictated by the Districts Rules.

Some will argue that its the Youth Orgs that originally provide the format that the kids will initially sign up for....so they can dictate to these kids year round. What kills that argument is these Orgs don't carry insurance year round or rent facilities. If they did then they would have an argument. The School Districts carry insurance and basically manage ( own ) the facilities so they can dictate.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

C

This Governing Body is in place to protect the kids from the Insane. Even the Coaches are mandated to take a certain block of time off in Colo....typically the month of July.

Youth Orgs do dictate for their own League...their insurance starts on X date and expires on X date. What you do outside of that...you are on your own. Look at FBU...they are playing Championships well into January but they carry all liability. Same thing for any Spring League but these are all Independent Leagues. School Sports are dictated by the Districts Rules.

Some will argue that its the Youth Orgs that originally provide the format that the kids will initially sign up for....so they can dictate to these kids year round. What kills that argument is these Orgs don't carry insurance year round or rent facilities. If they did then they would have an argument.

Mike,

I hear you, and actually, get you, and to a degree, agree with you 🙂

But I think there is more at play here than insurance, or lazy coaches or insane coaches.

How to get past it is another issue though...

If I coached in The Texas is the Greatest Football League (TIGSFL) in the fall, and that was when the TIGSFL Insurance Cert was valid, from August until mid November, and then December came, and I called all of my kids parents and said, hey our TIGSFL team is going to play spring ball, the parents may or may not make the assumption that this is a TIGSFL sanctioned thing, that there is insurance.

Maybe I have no idea what I am doing, and I have not done the proper things to get my team registered and covered by the spring league's insurance.

And then...one of my players gets hurt...and there is no insurance, from TIGSFL or the spring league...who is Johnny's mom going to go after? I would gamble that TIGSFL would be one of the plaintiffs...

Or take the insurance thing out of the mix...let's just say Johnny has a bad experience in the spring, and decides that he doesn't want to play TIGSFL any more...

Or let's say Coach Chuccacabra is the coach, and he tells everyone that if they don't come play spring ball with us, then they shouldn't even bother coming out for fall, because Johnny is going to be too far behind the other players, so they go play in a competing league, or worse, take up soccer...

There are a lot of things (in my opinion) that come into play when these youth leagues come up with the rules for when players can practice and play and when coaches can coach. Unfortunately, they won't come right out and say what these things are, instead, they take on the role of "protector" and say it is to keep the kids safe...or in some cases, in my opinion as the parent... "Sorry, you are not smart enough to keep your son safe, so, we will make a rule saying that your son can't play tackle in any other league except ours."

Do I agree with this approach? Nope...I am my children's father, my wife and I will make the decisions regarding their well being. I am also responsible for finding out what I am signing them up for...reading the waivers and the limitation of liabilities clauses...

My son, well, I am now at the mercy of the UIL in certain aspects of when he can do things. Can I take him to a private coach in the off season? Yes. Can I coach him in the offseason? Yes. Can I put him in an FBU camp? Yes, but it will be a cold day in hell before they get another dime of my money (another story). But as far as his football team goes, he and his team mates and his coaches have to follow the UIL rules.

If my league allowed for offseason workouts, would I hold them? Yup, and they would be optional, because I know Johnny likes to play baseball or basketball...as it stands now, the only way I can hold offseason workouts is if I place my team in an offseason flag league, and there are plenty of those around, and I also make sure my families know that this in no way is affiliated with the league we play fall ball in....

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Deleted. 

There are a bunch of new policies out. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Mike,

I hear you, and actually, get you, and to a degree, agree with you 🙂

But I think there is more at play here than insurance, or lazy coaches or insane coaches.

How to get past it is another issue though...

If I coached in The Texas is the Greatest Football League (TIGSFL) in the fall, and that was when the TIGSFL Insurance Cert was valid, from August until mid November, and then December came, and I called all of my kids parents and said, hey our TIGSFL team is going to play spring ball, the parents may or may not make the assumption that this is a TIGSFL sanctioned thing, that there is insurance.

Maybe I have no idea what I am doing, and I have not done the proper things to get my team registered and covered by the spring league's insurance.

And then...one of my players gets hurt...and there is no insurance, from TIGSFL or the spring league...who is Johnny's mom going to go after? I would gamble that TIGSFL would be one of the plaintiffs...

Or take the insurance thing out of the mix...let's just say Johnny has a bad experience in the spring, and decides that he doesn't want to play TIGSFL any more...

Or let's say Coach Chuccacabra is the coach, and he tells everyone that if they don't come play spring ball with us, then they shouldn't even bother coming out for fall, because Johnny is going to be too far behind the other players, so they go play in a competing league, or worse, take up soccer...

There are a lot of things (in my opinion) that come into play when these youth leagues come up with the rules for when players can practice and play and when coaches can coach. Unfortunately, they won't come right out and say what these things are, instead, they take on the role of "protector" and say it is to keep the kids safe...or in some cases, in my opinion as the parent... "Sorry, you are not smart enough to keep your son safe, so, we will make a rule saying that your son can't play tackle in any other league except ours."

Do I agree with this approach? Nope...I am my children's father, my wife and I will make the decisions regarding their well being. I am also responsible for finding out what I am signing them up for...reading the waivers and the limitation of liabilities clauses...

My son, well, I am now at the mercy of the UIL in certain aspects of when he can do things. Can I take him to a private coach in the off season? Yes. Can I coach him in the offseason? Yes. Can I put him in an FBU camp? Yes, but it will be a cold day in hell before they get another dime of my money (another story). But as far as his football team goes, he and his team mates and his coaches have to follow the UIL rules.

If my league allowed for offseason workouts, would I hold them? Yup, and they would be optional, because I know Johnny likes to play baseball or basketball...as it stands now, the only way I can hold offseason workouts is if I place my team in an offseason flag league, and there are plenty of those around, and I also make sure my families know that this in no way is affiliated with the league we play fall ball in....

C

Good points. I have been part of these debates before with the Policy Makers. A Spring Tackle Football League popping up here about 7 years ago really upset the apple cart there for a while. My son....now Coaching Spring as a Header helped write the Rules that protect the Fall teams from illegal recruiting during the Spring....YET his Fall Org is not all that excited about any of their Headers getting involved with Spring including my own Son...who helped write the Rules and knows them better than most anyone.

It all boils down to your Leagues philosophy. Are you Rec?....Competitive?....Tryout?.....Blind Draft?...Levels....Independent?....National....etc.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Those liability policies you are all so concerned about aren't covering injuries in most cases in season or out of season.

They are for negligence and not criminal negligence at that.

D

True. Nobody is paying for a broken arm. But you will be sued if you provide a platform for that kid to break his arm without a Liability Policy in place.

Kinda dumb really.

Whats happening in my State is Parents / Guardians signing participation Waivers for Minors is starting to come under fire and not holding up in some Courts. This is mostly a Child Care Industry issue right now but when you really think about it...Youth Sports is technically in that same category. Our League is paying attention to this right now...Waivers might not be the answer down the road.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I did a quick google search and it looks like you can get football insurance that will cover injuries now.

I don't see the fine print.   

I am guessing they cover after any other insurance, but I don't know if that coverage would paying a high deductible (which many plans now have if you have have individual insurance) or not.

Remember they are not in business to lose money.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I did a quick google search and it looks like you can get football insurance that will cover injuries now.

I don't see the fine print.   

I am guessing they cover after any other insurance, but I don't know if that coverage would paying a high deductible (which many plans now have if you have have individual insurance) or not.

Remember they are not in business to lose money.

D

I saw Coaches Insurance on USA Football. A Money Grub or a good idea to protect yourself from the Ambulance Chasers?....present company excluded of course.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

I think it says somewhere that an orgainized practice of 3 or more players held by a coach is a violation.  Can it be enforced, will someone tape it or report it, who knows....

Im with you coach- even if you don't agree with the rule- have to abide by it
If you don't like the rule- then work to change it, until then you don't cheat or teach your kids to cheat by doing it yourself

BTW the 84 team league I had my teams in in Omaha when I was there had NO rules on when you could start or how often- Some teams were all in in June 1 and in Pads July 5th.

After I moved the league Im now is has rules for both

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

you don't cheat or teach your kids to cheat by doing it yourself

This. This. This. ^

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

No, it's not like having 13 players on the field.  Extra practice may only be helpful if a coach knows what to do with it.  Some guys could take an extra year of preparation and it wouldn't make a difference.

--Dave

100% true
We still get more quality reps in than the teams that practice twice as much as we do
Practice DOESNT make perfect:

It's all about:
Priorities
Progressions (teaching ability)
Precision
Pace

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

D

I saw Coaches Insurance on USA Football. A Money Grub or a good idea to protect yourself from the Ambulance Chasers?....present company excluded of course.

http://usafootball.com/league-and-club-insurance

Accident and Health is different from liability and carries a separate cost. 

Depending on fine print and cost - A & H and Catastrophic may be worth it as it actually covers injuries suffered on the field.  You would have to go over exclusions with a fine tooth comb however. 

Again though they I bet they only pay in event personal insurance does not.  So if everybody has insurance there is no need, its just free money for them.  If they paid the deductible and out of pocket it would be worth it.  I doubt it as that would be a money loser.  I dont' know though.

You have to read what they will actually do, not what you think they will do based off a bold print heading. 

Liability everybody gets and is pure profit.  It is incredibly difficult to win a law suit against a coach or another player (third party) for a player injury and very few lawyers would take such a case as they would be working for nothing.

The only way you would win is if the coach or player did something incredibly stupid which resulted in an injury and the fine print in any liability policy is likely going to exclude incredibly stupid i.e; criminal acts.

Still it makes people feel better to have it.  Nobody likes the idea of being sued. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

No, it's not like having 13 players on the field.  Extra practice may only be helpful if a coach knows what to do with it.  Some guys could take an extra year of preparation and it wouldn't make a difference.

And most pitchers don't know how to throw a spitball, so what?  They make it illegal for those who could take advantage of it.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

I would love to coach football year round.  I'm sure there are kids who woul dlove to play year round.  But shouldn't we allow kids time off to be kids?  Our org is moving toward spring football and summer workouts.  To me it seems wrong, but I'm just one voice.  I appreciate that Football is the last sport that doesn't try hook kids in year round, but it seems I'm fighting a losing battle.

Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Im with you

Football isn't baseball or basketball- the kids need a break

We did Spring Tackle- 1 season, Even a short "developmental season" was too much football for most IMO

We did 2-3 years of flag- 2 days a week practice- 6 games SUPPOSED to be "100% developmental"- no trophies, no playoffs
We didn't "lose" a game the first 3 years- a team had a major celebration when they "tied" us  ::) like they won the Super Bowl

I didn't go for a season 4- the league commish was filming our games  ::)  When there was lightning flashes at 9:00 for a 9:00 game- he made us stick around until 10:30 - and wanted us to stick around some more- still flashing. The game didn't matter- parents and I had stuff to do the rest of the day. That was the last they saw of me. Here it was weak coaches who thought more practice was going to give them advantage- it never did.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6
Share: