3 teams merge, coac...

Notifications
Clear all

3 teams merge, coach from the lower level is HC, only invites a few players

Page 4 / 6

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I would love to coach football year round.  I'm sure there are kids who woul dlove to play year round.  But shouldn't we allow kids time off to be kids?  Our org is moving toward spring football and summer workouts.  To me it seems wrong, but I'm just one voice.  I appreciate that Football is the last sport that doesn't try hook kids in year round, but it seems I'm fighting a losing battle.

Craig

C

I am coaching Spring Ball for the first time in probably 15 years.

Lots of Linemen on our Team so I believe the League is providing a service to the Community. Im not sure these kids would be doing anything else other than Football but I get what you are saying and dont disagree. Kids should experience as many Sports as possible while they are young.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

A local association here practices all spring and summer long. They are very talented and maybe win at one level per year. All these coaches are convinced that the rest of the conference is doing it. The rest of the conference is not participating in off season practices(I am sure some teams do but it is not wide spread). The extra practice does not help this association very much as they do not run efficient practices. I also know of a very good coach who does practice all year long and about 4-5 hours over the Pop Warner weekly limit. Believe me, it helps his team TREMENDOUSLY. It all depends who is doing the extra coaching.
I could care less what people do in the off season. It is the extra in season practices that bother me.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I am still somewhat fascinated about the difference in attitude between football practice and other sports.

Baseball can be year round and nobody monitors how much they practice in season or cares.

Basketball can be year round and nobody monitors how much they practice in season.

Golf same.  Tennis same.  Wrestling same.

I guess football requires a lot of coordinated execution, not unlike a theatre play.    So they want a level playing field by limiting practices.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

I am still somewhat fascinated about the difference in attitude between football practice and other sports.

Baseball can be year round and nobody monitors how much they practice in season or cares.

Basketball can be year round and nobody monitors how much they practice in season.

I guess football requires a lot of coordinated execution, not unlike a theatre play.    So they want a level playing field by limiting practices.

I would venture to say that 90% of baseball and basketball (at least the competitive ones) teams play more games for more hours then they practice at the youth level. Football is unique in that you actually practice more than you play.

That may have something to do with it: practicing 6 hours a week for 1.5 hours of game time in Football vs 2 hours of practice in baseball for 8 to 12 hours of game time.

My sons have only played "Rec" baseball/basketball and I've always felt that those sports require more practice time to be efficient at (it is more difficult to become proficient at hitting a baseball then executing a block, and basketball is more more fluid, reads change), especially for the lower level players. The ones who improve are the ones who practice/play at home. But the trend is to play more games and the mindset of the parents is that their son needs more games to get better when they would probably do better to cut the game time in half and double the practice time.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

C

I am coaching Spring Ball for the first time in probably 15 years.

Lots of Linemen on our Team so I believe the League is providing a service to the Community. Im not sure these kids would be doing anything else other than Football but I get what you are saying and dont disagree. Kids should experience as many Sports as possible while they are young.

I went out and watched one of the 3rd grade games on Saturday. Your are correct, there are a lot of really big kids that probably wouldn't be playing anything at all if they weren't offered the chance to play spring football.  I saw an entire team of kids that were all bigger than my largest kid last season. There are some really big kids out there, getting them out and active is a good thing, but I am a fan of mixing it up at the younger ages.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I would venture to say that 90% of baseball and basketball (at least the competitive ones) teams play more games for more hours then they practice at the youth level. Football is unique in that you actually practice more than you play.

That may have something to do with it: practicing 6 hours a week for 1.5 hours of game time in Football vs 2 hours of practice in baseball for 8 to 12 hours of game time.

My sons have only played "Rec" baseball/basketball and I've always felt that those sports require more practice time to be efficient at (it is more difficult to become proficient at hitting a baseball then executing a block, and basketball is more more fluid, reads change), especially for the lower level players. The ones who improve are the ones who practice/play at home. But the trend is to play more games and the mindset of the parents is that their son needs more games to get better when they would probably do better to cut the game time in half and double the practice time.

Yeah, there are many more games in baseball and basketball.  But if you practiced 3 or more players in the offseason or had an extra practice during the week do other coaches complain or try to get you suspended?

I have never heard of that.  They don't know and don't care.    In football it is common, people check on it and try to enforce it.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I am fascinated with it as well. While I don't want the limitations we probably wouldn't practice more than we do except in certain situations. Our board keeps our time to the minute while another association lets their teams practice for as long and as often as they want.
Wrestling practice was never monitored for time or frequency. We never had some governing body dictating what we could do in practice and for how long. We also wrestled year round in clubs which were really just our hs teams in our hs gyms or in a rec league. Nobody EVER complained. If they want to level the playing field they need to have an all draft league(which would be impossible in travel leagues) and clone coaching staffs.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

I think we all know why football is limited and baseball and basketball isn't

Football is a violent collision sport- the other 2 are not

Baseball teams a the Pro level play what 164 games? Many of those guys play year round- cant do that in football

Lots more serious injuries in football

I'm not of the opinion that we help our game a lot by making it year round

Personally I don't care when or how often other teams practice- I only control my team- we play a game against ourselves every practice and every game- how we compare against our absolute best. That has little to do with who we play or how much they've practiced.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I think we all know why football is limited and baseball and basketball isn't

Football is a violent collision sport- the other 2 are not

Baseball teams a the Pro level play what 164 games? Many of those guys play year round- cant do that in football

Lots more serious injuries in football

I'm not of the opinion that we help our game a lot by making it year round

Personally I don't care when or how often other teams practice- I only control my team- we play a game against ourselves every practice and every game- how we compare against our absolute best. That has little to do with who we play or how much they've practiced.

I'm not talking about hitting.  I am against year round hitting.    It could be all shorts and t-shirts and no tackling.  Coaches just working their passing game or their fakes 

We have a coach on here who is practicing with his QB and receivers out at the park right now or he was.  Pop something or nother I think.  Posted his film awhile back.  Very good looking well executing team.   

Others don't want you doing it. 

It's all about competitive advantage.    I say Pop is out their teaching the game and if he and his kids want to put in the work then let him/them.  More power to him.

We have 7 on 7 leagues going on right now.  What is that if not practice?    It's all so much hypocrisy.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

7 on 7 isn't the whole team- all your linemen but 1 are out
It isn't the real game

Again, I could care less if anyone practices year round or not
Not for me personally- I don't want to burn anyone out on the sport

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

And the reason for that is that you can have a reasonable game of baseball or basketball with very little practice beforehand.  Not only can you have pickup games, but the players individually even if they've hardly even seen the game before still aren't threatening to wreck the game.  Not so with football, where you need a good deal of practice just to get to bare competency, not to mention good.

ReplyQuote
JohnM71
(@johnm_1971)
Bronze

This is our rule, and apparently it's being continually violated.

RULE 13 - PRACTICES & FIRST SCHEDULED GAME FOOTBALL/CHEERLEADING

1A. The official season calendar for League purposes and participant membership for teams/squads shall run from March 1 through February 28 (or February 29th in the case of leap years}. In instances where a team/squad has been invited to participate in a national championship event carrying over to a new season, such organization may petition the League for a waiver from the provisions of this section.

1B.  Under no circumstances may a team begin practice more than 26 days prior to the first scheduled League game. The first game of the season will be scheduled by the Board of Commissioners.

1C.  Any gathering of any team members with any coach present constitutes a practice.   2.No player on any team shall participate in physical contact until he has experienced five days of conditioning practice such as calisthenics (see chart).
  2.No equipment shall be worn during the first 3 days of conditioning practice except helmets.  The required football playing uniforms may be issued on August 1st; however, the helmet is the only piece of equipment that may be worn during the first 3 practices.  (see chart).
  3.If a player will not participate in a game, it is his/her coach’s responsibility to notify his/her Commissioner who will in turn notify the opposing team prior to the game.
Empire West Youth Football and Cheerleading Association standards for structure of the inter league competition:
      a.  5 No contact conditioning practices prior to any contact practices.
      b. 5 Contact practices prior to any scrimmage or regular season games.
      c.  Maximum number of League games per team or individual is 11 days.
      d.  2 days minimum between games.                           

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

So a team party would constitute a practice? Your org has control issues.  😛 How can they possible say your season is a full year but you are not allowed to do anything during most of that year? But, if it is a rule, we would follow it. It just irks me that they make it impossible for a kid to go to a camp if a coach is present. They also make participating in other sports with coaches from the football team an illegal football practice even if they are at ,say basketball or wrestling practice. Silly indeed. This rule oversteps to the point that Stalin would be happy with it.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

So a team party would constitute a practice? Your org has control issues.  😛 How can they possible say your season is a full year but you are not allowed to do anything during most of that year? But, if it is a rule, we would follow it. It just irks me that they make it impossible for a kid to go to a camp if a coach is present. They also make participating in other sports with coaches from the football team an illegal football practice even if they are at ,say basketball or wrestling practice. Silly indeed. This rule oversteps to the point that Stalin would be happy with it.

Obviously their rule came out silly as written, but I doubt they were thinking about cases like that.  The real question is whether someone would call someone on a violation of the letter of it.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We have people in our association that would seek out people breaking this absurd rule. I bet the poster does also. As written, a coach eating dinner with his son who is on a team would be a violation of the rule. Sound ridiculous? Yup, but by their rules the dad would be in violation. Heaven help the fool who lets his kid hang out with his teammates in the off season. Oh yeah, there is no off season in his league. Who does this league think they are? As this rule is written, no parent can possibly coach there own children. All that do so are in violation of the rules unless they are absolute dead beat dads.
Obviously the org does not intend the rule to say what it does(or at least I hope they aren't that hopelessly stupid) but unfortunately the person who wrote it didn't think too much about what he was proposing. Define a practice as something that actually constitutes a football practice and maybe you have a leg to stand on. Define a season that is not 365 days long and they might not seem like a bunch of control freaks. As is, they lose all respect imo. How can you not possibly break those rules?

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6
Share: