Notifications

A few tips.  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
September 15, 2020 12:13 am  

We play half the man...the outside half. 

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 15, 2020 4:29 pm  

Good stuff coach...i too was at Parris Island...and I use the countdown all the time 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Prodigy liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 15, 2020 4:59 pm  
Posted by: @spidermac

Good stuff coach...i too was at Parris Island...and I use the countdown all the time 🙂

"FREEZE, RECRUIT! FREEZE!!!"

"YOU'RE DONE!!! I SAID YOU'RE DONE!!!"

Good times.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 16, 2020 7:44 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

"FREEZE, RECRUIT! FREEZE!!!"

"YOU'RE DONE!!! I SAID YOU'RE DONE!!!"

Good times.

99% of the population won't get this one clever joke.

That's good to go, understand that?  nooooo.  Understand that?  Do pushups now.  No aye sir.  No aye sir.  No aye sir.  No aye sir.  No aye sir.  No aye sir.
maybe he meant "no eye sir."

Seriously though, the countdown is amazing.  I also utilized the "eyeballs" thing.  In Cisars book he does something similar...but I thought it was weak...so I stole the usmc "EYEBALLS!  SNAP SIR"  I actually think that when done right, kids rather enjoy being on a well disciplined, tight-nit team.  Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 16, 2020 8:16 am  

My DIs were not capable of counting all the numbers from 10 to 1.  It was 10, 5, 3,2,1!!!  You're done!!!  I said you're done!!!

Or it was, You have 1 minute to make a head call!!!  60, 30, 10, 5, 3,2,1!!!  You're done!!!  I said you're freakin done recruit!!!

Prodigy and spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 9:55 am  
Posted by: @prodigy

I actually think that when done right, kids rather enjoy being on a well disciplined, tight-nit team.  Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Do NOT doubt yourself here.

"I actually think that when done right, kids rather enjoy being on a well disciplined, tight-nit team." 

Ken, this is the truest statement you have ever made.  What's the key?  Just what you said...."when done right."  I KNOW this to be true and have seen the faces of the players on those teams that also know it to be true.  It's THE most amazing feeling in coaching football.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 16, 2020 10:38 am  

I also use "eye balls" and their response is "snap sir". Just little things to grab their attention...I also coupled eye balls with something I stole from my son's HS OC....we do it after every practice when we get in our "Dawg Pound"...they are on a high knee, helmets on the ground next to them, I am in front and I raise a hand "If you can hear me raise you hand" hands go up, "Clap once", they clap...if it sounds like a bunch of tap dancers..."that was terrible, CLAP ONCE!" they clap and it sounds like thunder 🙂 "Clap Twice" they clap twice, "Eyeballs" they respond "Snap Sir".

They LOVE the discipline, they love the UNITY, all working as ONE, even in that small setting, for us to talk about how practice went and give out the hard hats (virtual this year).

We have something called an OSI (opportunity for self improvement)...it can be used for many different things...not behaving in school, lack of effort in practice, disrespecting your parents, etc. I have no problem being the hammer for mom and dad 😛 Anywho, the OSI resembles being on the quarter deck or in the sand pit...physical exercise, mountain climbers, high knees, whatever...and the commands are LOUD, and as the OSI goes on the commands start coming faster than the boy can possibly comply..."on you face Climb! No too slow get back! On your face Climb, hit the fence, no too slow get back (this command sounds like one word 😛 notooslowgetback)...the thought process stolen from C.O.D., aside from the physical, we get mental and emotional from it as well...as a general rule, a boy only ends up with an OSI one time each season, unless he is stubborn, those kids will end up doing the OSI's a few times a season....and it gets the whole teams attention...

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 16, 2020 12:37 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

I actually think that when done right, kids rather enjoy being on a well disciplined, tight-nit team.  Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Do NOT doubt yourself here.

"I actually think that when done right, kids rather enjoy being on a well disciplined, tight-nit team." 

Ken, this is the truest statement you have ever made.  What's the key?  Just what you said...."when done right."  I KNOW this to be true and have seen the faces of the players on those teams that also know it to be true.  It's THE most amazing feeling in coaching football.

--Dave

CoachDP,

That's just how my brain works. 
"When done right."

What is the right way?  That's a pretty ambiguous statement that I made.  Also what exactly is a "disciplined, tight-nit team"?  I mean, there's a possibility that there were players on the teams that I coached that didn't have a great time, who didn't enjoy the process.

I think that you and I are likely in agreement on what the right way is and what's an appropriate definition for disciplined and tight nit team.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 2:26 pm  

We have something called an OSI (opportunity for self improvement).

"OSI."  Magnificent!

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 2:35 pm  

What is the right way?  That's a pretty ambiguous statement that I made. 

--Yes, it is.  But true, nonetheless.  What's the right way?  Look at your team and you can tell if they've been coached "the right way."

Also what exactly is a "disciplined, tight-nit team"?  I mean, there's a possibility that there were players on the teams that I coached that didn't have a great time, who didn't enjoy the process.

--But you don't have to enjoy the process to enjoy the result.  "kids rather enjoy being on a well disciplined, tight-nit team."  Yes, they do "ENJOY BEING ON a..."  I never said a thing about enjoying the process.  They enjoy where we get to.  The "disciplined, tight-nit team" is the result.

I think that you and I are likely in agreement on what the right way is and what's an appropriate definition for disciplined and tight nit team.

--Yes, most likely we are in lock-step.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 17, 2020 2:21 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

My DIs were not capable of counting all the numbers from 10 to 1.  It was 10, 5, 3,2,1!!!  You're done!!!  I said you're done!!!

Or it was, You have 1 minute to make a head call!!!  60, 30, 10, 5, 3,2,1!!!  You're done!!!  I said you're freakin done recruit!!!

Yeah I used that too.  It wasn't until after the crucible that I realized that the drill instructors would just mess with us if they had free time.  They kept us with this belief that we weren't doing well, that we were always screwing up and being punished for it...when the reality was that we were doing just fine, if not excelling at times and because we were ahead of schedule we were getting punished -- always leaving us in this state of wanting to be better, if for nothing else to avoid being punished.

It's an interesting tactic.  I mean...obviously not all of this stuff would be appropriate to apply when coaching 10 year olds, but a fair amount of it is.  I, by no means believe that the USMC is perfect or that their training is perfect, but it's really quite good.  It's regimented, they are able to take large groups of young men and get them to comply quickly.  They train for compliance for legitimate fighting reasons...now you've got to look at that and figure they've got this all down to a science.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 17, 2020 5:21 pm  

It's an interesting tactic.  I mean...obviously not all of this stuff would be appropriate to apply when coaching 10 year olds, but a fair amount of it is.

--Hello!

they are able to take large groups of young men and get them to comply quickly.  They train for compliance for legitimate fighting reasons...now you've got to look at that and figure they've got this all down to a science.

--B-I-N-G-O.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 18, 2020 9:58 am  

We have something called an OSI (opportunity for self improvement)...it can be used for many different things...not behaving in school, lack of effort in practice, disrespecting your parents, etc. I have no problem being the hammer for mom and dad 😛

I do.  I'd like them to think no matter how badly they screw up at home or in school, as long as they're with us and they're good with us, we're good with them.  If they come to think of football as a vacation from the family, even the happiest of families, that's all to the good.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 18, 2020 10:33 am  

Here's a great one that I got from DP:  "Follow the ball" aka "Go with the ball" for defensive players at the LOS.

We scrimmage a neighboring team about once every 2 weeks. They NEVER go on the same snap count twice in a row. Our d-line was jumping offside with regularity. Worse, our d-line was standing still, looking confused when they went on a silent count. Whenever we jumped, about 10 voices will yell "Watch the Ball!!!"

As DP pointed out, watching the ball does nothing. The last thing I want anyone on defense to do is to watch. It is the WRONG message.

So last night, I went HEAVY on "follow the ball". It was not easy. I just about had a stroke. My (Killer Bee) DE's stayed in the whole scrimmage, but I ended up rotating 8 kids at 2 DT positions. I swear they had side bets going on who could "break" Coach Gumby.  There was one funny moment when "P" (one of my Mojo projects) jumped and I just about breathed fire on him. He put his hands up, "Sorry. Sorry. That was me. My bad. Sorry." I had to walk away before I started laughing. I guess you had to be there.

Anyway, I had a strategy. While the other team huddled, I would face my defense as a center. I explained that there is a string on the ball that is connected with their chest. When the ball moves, the string pulls you toward it. Start with a slow motion snap. Explain that the ball will go slow, you will go fast because your goal is to always "beat the ball". Next, I gradually sped up the snap until it's full speed. Then, I mixed it up with hard counts, silent counts, etc. I could "steal" about 3 of these on average before the offense broke the huddle.

By the end of then night, the D-line had taken over. Keep in mind, we have no "athletes" at this position. It's a spot where you can get guys their plays while limiting their responsibilities. Lightbulbs went on. This position is MUCH easier to play when you are quick off the ball. Even H (another Mojo project and slowest kid in football) was getting in the backfield before the o-line was out of their stances . . . sometimes. Other times, he was eating double teams, but not giving ground.

I may have butchered this idea/technique, but give it a try. It's a game changer. DP can correct where I screwed it up.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 18, 2020 11:53 am  

@bob-goodman

Well, I guess we see things differently...

It is my responsibility to first coach the boy, then the athlete and finally the football player...otherwise, its a social club..

We hear coaches say all the time, do good in school, make sure you get your grades, whatever...if there is no follow through, it is an empty message...we do follow through...we reward the good grades, we reward good citizenship...conversely, if mom or dad want to use me to make a point when the are not getting the grades, not being good citizens, I will do it...I will hold them accountable...because as the progress through the game...when they move on from me, to middle school, and high school and college, if they do not take care of their business off the field, they will not be allowed on the field.

Football is a tool to teach these boys put in our charge about life...so much more than just the scoreboard...I take that seriously.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: