A few tips.  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 18, 2020 11:55 am  

@coachdp

When I first starting using COD, I was explaining the drill to the coaches...and one of them said, it sounds like something the Marines would do...I smiled and said, exactly.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 18, 2020 11:56 am  

@gumby_in_co

Oh...I am stealing that string thing...except I think mine is going to be a bungy cord...because that will make them move faster ūüôā

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 18, 2020 12:37 pm  
Posted by: @spidermac

@bob-goodman

Well, I guess we see things differently...

It is my responsibility to first coach the boy, then the athlete and finally the football player...otherwise, its a social club..

We hear coaches say all the time, do good in school, make sure you get your grades, whatever...if there is no follow through, it is an empty message...we do follow through...we reward the good grades, we reward good citizenship...conversely, if mom or dad want to use me to make a point when the are not getting the grades, not being good citizens, I will do it...I will hold them accountable...because as the progress through the game...when they move on from me, to middle school, and high school and college, if they do not take care of their business off the field, they will not be allowed on the field.

Football is a tool to teach these boys put in our charge about life...so much more than just the scoreboard...I take that seriously.

I agree, Chris.  There are many, MANY coaches who are solely just about football.  Nothing more, and nothing less.  And if they state that up front, it's acceptable.  The player & parent then know what they're getting.  (Which is not very much.)  On the other hand, many coaches state (up front) an agenda that makes them sound like Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and Abraham Lincoln.  And then go out and coach as if they are solely about football.  I call that a lip-service approach.  They go on about holding kids accountable and teaching them life lessons, and IF these kids learn anything (other than football) then it's by accident, I can assure you.  However, there are a few coaches who want to use the platform of coaching to elevate these kid's lives and opportunities.  And I don't mean just opportunities on the gridiron.  And if you have the tools, experience, and desire to teach lessons outside of the sport itself, then I think you should.  For me, I believe it's my responsibility.  It may not be yours Bob, but I can promise you it's mine.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 18, 2020 1:24 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Here's a great one that I got from DP:  "Follow the ball" aka "Go with the ball" for defensive players at the LOS.

I may have butchered this idea/technique, but give it a try. It's a game changer. DP can correct where I screwed it up.

We call it, "Go with the snap; Not after the snap."  

It's amazing how many teams are so slow AFTER the snap, despite how much lip-service is given by coaches about "firing off," "beat your man," "get there first," etc.

In many youth games, the defensive line simply will not move until the offensive line has already stepped towards them.  It's as if both teams are waiting for the other team to move first.

Since we have a primary defensive focus on quickness, shooting gaps, and beating double teams, "Going with the snap" became paramount and made us very difficult for blockers to deal with, especially since they were still using their tortoise-approach.

We teach "GWTS" to both our defensive and offensive lines and the teach is more difficult to teach offensively because the Center has to get the snap back quickly and we are moving on CADENCE instead of ball movement.  Conversely, our defense is going on ball movement.

We practice this "go with the snap" approach during our Dynamic Warm-ups. ¬†Our Sprints, High Knees, Backwards Sprints, and Battle Buddies all start off of ball movement (despite the fact that I am yelling our cadence along with it. ¬†Sometimes the ball snap matches our cadence, sometimes it doesn't, on purpose). ¬†So our entire team is used to "disassociating" themselves from cadence, and not listening to the "noise." ¬†(John Koester refers to this as our "mindf#@&" drill. ¬†I do not. ¬†At least, not in the presence of our players. 😊) They are getting used to going WITH the snap. ¬†As we line up in "Groups of 4 Across the Front" for our Dynamics, we are not just trying to make players jump off-sides (for which the offender makes his line of the other 3 players do up-downs), we are also looking to see who comes of the line last, as that player will be made to do the Sprint/High Knee/Backward Sprint again. ¬†Being slow off the LOS IS THE LAST THING I WANT, so we will make that offender go again.

We do not watch the ball.  We do not use that phrase.  I want players looking at their assignment.  If they are looking at the ball, then once the ball is snapped they will have to redirect their eyes which will slow them down.  "I can't use a slow player.  Slow sits with us on the sideline" are common phrases I use here.  When using "GWTS" with Dynamics, we tell the players to look straight ahead.  I practice standing in front of them at a severe angle so that I know they can still see the ball out of the corner of their eye, without them looking at the ball or tilting their head.  We call out many players for tilting their head to see the ball, but they will eventually stop tilting.  How do I know whether they can see the ball at the severe angle?  I ask them.  Then I shout, "Eyes!"  This focuses them to look ahead and not tilt their eyes/head towards the ball.

An added benefit to all this is that our Dynamic Warm-Up period is filled with focus and intensity, unlike warm-up periods of our opponents which look lethargic and disorganized.

There is also another drill I've used to end practice with my linemen, as we get them to "go with the snap."  We cover 50 yards (or more) in 5-yard increments, as they go with MY snap (I'm being the Center across from them).  I'll stand in front of the defensive line, go through a cadence and snap the ball.  If they jump off-sides, we go back to the beginning and start over again.  But the point is to get them going WITH the snap.  I'll alternate using fast snaps and slow snaps and yes, I will tell them which snap this will be.  Believe it or not, they focus harder when it's a slow snap.  How slow?  Think slow-motion.  When I've gotten them to "trust" that I will tell them "slow" or "fast," I start snapping the ball randomly at full speed, again not tying to the cadence.  This gets them to stop focusing on my "noise" but to go WITH the snap.  If you have 2nd-string D-linemen, they can replace whichever player is slowest off the line.  To use this technique, having another coach with you who can focus on who was slowest, is an asset.  Sometimes no one is slow and we don't replace them.  Sometimes a player is a fraction slow, gets replaced and gets very angry about it.  That's a good thing...

We will do the same drill with the offensive linemen including our Center.  We don't vary the speeds of the snap, but I'll tell them what the snap is on and the Center will incorporate the snap (almost always a direct snap since the QB is rarely available for this drill.  Sometimes we use the backup QB with this.)  We incorporate our pulls in this drill as well.  Since our cadence is "Shift/Go/Ready/Hit" I want the ball snapped AFTER "Ready" as I am SAYING, "Hit."  If the Center is slow here, we will be off-side.  So we will again cover 50+ yards at the end of practice, in 5-yard increments, knowing that if we screw up once, we lose all of the yardage gained and move the football to the beginning and start over.  If that approach costs you too much time, then you can have a screw up cost them 5-yards instead of all of the yards.  I've done both.  Both work.

You might think that with all this emphasis on "going with the snap" that we'd get a lot of off-side penalties.  But since we make players pay they price for a lack of focus in Dynamics and those snap drills, the opposite is true.  So the approach not only helps us to be faster off the line, it also helps us with fewer penalties.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Lunchbox liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 18, 2020 3:10 pm  

It is my responsibility to first coach the boy, then the athlete and finally the football player...otherwise, its a social club..

Wow. I am going to let that one marinate. That's deep.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 18, 2020 3:12 pm  

@gumby_in_co

Oh...I am stealing that string thing...except I think mine is going to be a bungy cord...because that will make them move faster ūüôā

So last night, I was demonstrating the string idea. I looped my index finger in a player's jersey and as I moved the ball, I "gently" pulled him forward. At least I thought I did. It ended up looking like a judo throw.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 18, 2020 3:22 pm  

@gumby_in_co

Going to give this a whirl in small group tonight ūüôā

Maybe I will bring an actual bungy cord...or is it bungee? 

Hey Siri... ūüėõ

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 18, 2020 3:59 pm  

Here's a great one that I got from DP:  "Follow the ball" aka "Go with the ball" for defensive players at the LOS.

We scrimmage a neighboring team about once every 2 weeks. They NEVER go on the same snap count twice in a row. Our d-line was jumping offside with regularity. Worse, our d-line was standing still, looking confused when they went on a silent count. Whenever we jumped, about 10 voices will yell "Watch the Ball!!!"

I actually liked what Michael had to say about this.  "How many times have you yelled at the defense to watch the ball?"  they don't listen.  Why?  Who knows.
The suggestion was to have the defense remind each other to watch the ball.  We were pretty darn good about this.  Not perfect...but pretty darn good.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 19, 2020 2:46 am  

@bob-goodman

Well, I guess we see things differently...

We hear coaches say all the time, do good in school, make sure you get your grades, whatever...if there is no follow through, it is an empty message...we do follow through...we reward the good grades, we reward good citizenship...conversely, if mom or dad want to use me to make a point when the are not getting the grades, not being good citizens, I will do it...I will hold them accountable...because as the progress through the game...when they move on from me, to middle school, and high school and college, if they do not take care of their business off the field, they will not be allowed on the field.

Football is a tool to teach these boys put in our charge about life...so much more than just the scoreboard...I take that seriously.

I'm not going to second-guess the parents.  If they don't think their grades or behavior are good enough for football, then they shouldn't bring them to football.  If that means we're suddenly missing a player -- as has sometimes been the case -- so be it.  The only thing that disturbs me is some situations of alternating custody or when grandparents intervene, and then it's equally confusing and frustrating to us and the kids, but there's nothing we can or should do about that, either.

And yes, to me, it is indeed like a social club.  Sports aren't a necessity, they're something extra a kid gets to do.  We shouldn't get an inflated impression of our relationship to them.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 19, 2020 10:09 am  
Posted by: @mahonz

@prodigy

I have completely stopped saying "outside arm free" to players because I am now convinced it means absolutely nothing to them.

Oh man...a little piece of me just died. 😱¬†

Number of times I said "outside arm free" last season = 5,792

Number of times force defenders kept their outside arms free = zero.

Figure out another way to say it because "outside arm free" might as well be in Vietnamese. 

"Canh tay o ngoai khon dung cham" will probably yield the same result.

Looks like you got your wish: All the posts listed under Unread this morning are in Chinese!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: