A question for the ...

Notifications
Clear all

A question for the Head Coaches...  

Page 2 / 3

Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

Most of my guys coach other sports or are HC's in other sports - especially basketball...

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

When I was a head coach we had a meeting to start the season and then met once or twice during the season. We did e-mail from time to time though. That staff was given to me and only me and the OC were not Daddy coaches. That season was the first time I ever had a full staff and it was an eye opener for sure.

This year I am hoping to be the HC of 8U. I am hoping to get at least 3 other coaches to help out. The trouble is, is that almost no one wants to coach the little guys. Last year it was me the HC and a junior coach. Not the most ideal situation for sure. I didn't really have anyone to talk to about strategy in game which really didn't help. Just a lot I would change and hope to change if I am named the HC.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I have one AC, whom i speak w/ 3-4 times a week, for 30 min- to 2 hours.  We go to clinics together.  Read the same books & dvd's. 

Ya, we have quite the BROMANCE going on 🙂

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

When I was with the BCCYA (the first competitive organization in my county who is now out of business for not having insurance and a kid got hurt ??? ::) ), I tried to... but I just got made fun of, "He will call you all the time to talk football and ask questions". So I stopped.

With my organization I am all the time sending out information and video clips, trying to increase my coaches knowledge. but most of the time I am ignored. I call a Coaches meeting and MAYBE one coach shows up.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

When I was with the BCCYA (the first competitive organization in my county who is now out of business for not having insurance and a kid got hurt ??? ::) ), I tried to... but I just got made fun of, "He will call you all the time to talk football and ask questions". So I stopped.

With my organization I am all the time sending out information and video clips, trying to increase my coaches knowledge. but most of the time I am ignored. I call a Coaches meeting and MAYBE one coach shows up.

SS

You have to change the culture.

If a coach misses two of your four off season meetings....he loses something...for example.

Give your Teams voting rights...in house for the Org or collectively for  the League so they mean something outside of coaching. 

Have food.  😉

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

We like to think, that all of our off season work & communication, is worth 3-4 wins per season.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

We have tried about everything we know to do. We have provided food and noone showed.... Their is a Woman that was the head Coach for our 7u team last year, who wanted to be the VP of the organization..... didn't show up for the Board meeting to Vote, didn't come to the Coaches meeting last weekend. How the hell you gonna be VP when you can't show up???

There is a definite need for a culture change in our county. My problem is I have a lack of choices. I would love to be able to say "If you don't show up for 75% of offseason meetings you forfeit your HC position." but until I can get a higher parent involvment and have options for other coaches I am stuck.

I have convinced them to help me with an offseason "Camp", Starting the weekend after the Glazier Clinic in March we are going to do a free camp twice a week from March 16 to the end of May. Hopefully this will increase our numbers and get more parents involved.

The first couple of weeks we are going to work on Conditioning, Speed and Agility. Then we are going to move into Basic Fundamentials. Hopefully we will have a good turnout. I don't want to start practice in June with "to get in a good 3 point stance"....

ReplyQuote
Coach Wayne145
(@coach-wayne145)
Bronze

I'm the HC I talk to my Ac  a lot I email new ideas  we go to clinics im a football nut so is he the rest of ac we will meet in May to go over things for up coming season!!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I talked football(our team, not NFL or college) with my header for about an hour today. We talk about 2-3 times per week and as the season gets closer it will be every day. We are going to be doing some new things this season so in a couple of months we will all start sitting down and going over the details of how he wants things done. I know he talks with the other acs about the same as me. I feel obligated to try to get better every off season.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

We have tried about everything we know to do. We have provided food and noone showed.... Their is a Woman that was the head Coach for our 7u team last year, who wanted to be the VP of the organization..... didn't show up for the Board meeting to Vote, didn't come to the Coaches meeting last weekend. How the hell you gonna be VP when you can't show up???

SS

That staggers me.  >:(

Do you draft players meaning you field multiple teams in each Division?

Does your Org have a vote at the League level for rule changes and the like?

How do you hire Headers?...AC's?

Didn't you fold up your tent last season and the community begged you not to?

Can you play use the Coach that did show up as advertisement to the others?...although a JAN meeting is pretty early.

I cant believe they didn't show up to at least eat....that is always my number one "hook".  Feed em and they will come kinda thing....and they do !

Im miffed but can share some ideas once you answer these questions.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

How many of you die hards, the guys that are studying football every day....have assistant coaches that do the same?  Do you speak to your assistants every day????

I give them a break through the off season. I will usually tell them to take care of family. I will send an occassional email to them letting them know of any new news or to get a "What do you think?" from them on something I was thinking about. That way they feel involved with any changes that would be coming down next season.

Other than that I just give them time and they know, and I am not afraid to tell them, when camps, clinics, and the like start coming together, their butts are mine.

I have fired my share of undedicated "dads"

It actually cost me a spot coaching this last year because I fired someone 2 years ago and he became the AD with a new president of our club and he wanted his brother to coach the team I had built and only lost 2 games that year.

I was released and they won 2 games that next year.

Pissed me off but its what they want............. Dads being a head coach

I wouldnt think twice to do it again. I refuse to go through the season with dead beat dads.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver

We have a core of 4 coaches that have coached for years together or at least in the same Org for a long time. We are all very committed. During the season we usually have 4 or 5 other coaches that will help. The first thing we do is make sure they are on the same page with what we do. This is done around May. They don't have to know much but they have to be willing to learn and stay on the program.  Most of these guys end up being very good at teaching the area they are assigned.  We have asked a couple to be fans because they did not fit in or more common stunk at coaching their kid.

We have found experts to help over the years. For example there is a former big time receiver that helps two nights a week during the season and watches games up high for adjustments. He is a supplement to the Dad coach that has that position responsibility. He has brought a wealth of expertise to our staff with the level of detail he brings to the table. Sure he can't be there every night but I will live with what I can get from him and he is ultra prepared and a great teacher.

We also use High School players to help with drills and technical help. This may sound crazy but they can be a huge help. They are preaching the same message we are and our kids see them on Friday night actually doing it. It also gives our guys a vision of where they want to be.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

SS

That staggers me.  >:(

Do you draft players meaning you field multiple teams in each Division? No last year we were barely able to field teams.

Does your Org have a vote at the League level for rule changes and the like? Yes, we actually changed the rules last year giving each organization multiple votes to try and get more involved, didn't work that well.

How do you hire Headers?...AC's? "I walk around asking people to volunteer, in this community it's a lot like asking people if they want a root canal from a dentist trainee.

Didn't you fold up your tent last season and the community begged you not to? About 15 coaches and parents did.

Can you play use the Coach that did show up as advertisement to the others?...although a JAN meeting is pretty early. I know it's early but just trying to set stuff up for clinics and thing of that nature.

I cant believe they didn't show up to at least eat....that is always my number one "hook".  Feed em and they will come kinda thing....and they do ! We had pizza and had 6 people show.

Im miffed but can share some ideas once you answer these questions.

o

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Overall, I guess I shouldn't complain, last year I lost all my coaches, this year I am returning maybe 5. Which is about 75%. That is am improvement, now if I can return about 50% of my players that would be nice!

ReplyQuote
coachgt
(@coachgt)
Bronze

The best I can hope for is a couple conversations in the offseason. And thats pushing it.

I'm on my own pretty much.

TW

what he said

If you are not with us, then by definition, you are against us.-Magneto

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: