A Visit From The Gu...

Notifications
Clear all

A Visit From The Guru

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Some of you know that we are an AirRaid offense here at MCHS.  Today we got a visit from the man himself Coach Tony Franklin, the originator of the AirRaid System. He just retired as the Offensive Coordinator at Middle Tennessee State and moved to Raleigh (about 20 minutes from our high school).  Today he watched our practice, spoke to our team, and met players individually.  He was very accessible and easy to talk with.  Having had the opportunity to listen to (or meet) a number of D1 coaches over the years (Bobby Bowden, Johnny Majors, Jim Tressell, Urban Meyer, Ron Zook, P.J. Fleck, Jon Gruden, etc.), I know that some are real jerks and some are fine gentlemen.  I'd have to say that Coach Franklin ranks with the latter.  He didn't put on any airs or talk about himself in the third person.  He was folksy, conversational and authentic.  We spoke about his first book ("Fourth Down And Life To Go") and I talked about its impact on me.  I brought it with me and asked him to sign it.  He wrote, "To Dave Potter, Continue to do right when no one is watching!  Tony Franklin."  I told him how I had also dealt with being a whistleblower and that his book strengthened me to do the right thing.  He asked me how that decision turned out for me.  I told him that I was fired.  But I thanked him for his courage and conviction because I knew that he'd lost far more than I had.  Good conversation, interesting man.

--Dave

This topic was modified 1 month ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54, Bill03, tiger46 and 1 people liked
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

Did he help you fine tune the plays that you're already taking to the play-offs? Or, did he advise you on any new stuff that you may be able to implement in time for your play-off game?  I know in your other thread you mentioned that you guys were dealing with injuries while having to go up against a bear of a team for the round 1 play-off game.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Here's what the local message boards are saying about our game tomorrow night:

"I think RC will blow the doors off MC by half. They are well rested and while nothing is like playing RC is no stranger to playing in big games and the layoff IMO only means fresh leges or an already fast and dangerous team."

"This game shouldn't even be close, I anticipate it ending up around 48-14 or something to that effect. I hope that MIddle Creek is in it and finds a way to be more competitive, but let's call it what it is, Richmond has one of the best rosters in N.C. from top to bottom. The Raiders have numbers, speed, depth, the total package."

"I think a slow start then we pull away. I will be very surprised if we don't make it to the championship."

So we are definitely not being favored.  We are without a starting Tackle and his backup Tackle.  We are missing two defensive linemen including one that's a D1 commit.  Our 2nd and 3rd RBs are out, too.  We've had no open dates and those playing are banged up.  We are aware of a big size difference.  They are the biggest high school team (up front) that I've seen.

Coach Franklin simply observed our practice.  He offered no input.  He addressed our team regarding our game tomorrow night and spoke individually with players who came and spoke with him.

--Dave

This post was modified 1 month ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: