rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
June 23, 2020 3:17 pm  

@coyote

The best way to get a kid to want to do something is not being a dick about it. If you make them feel good about something, they will have no issue doing it to the fullest. More child psychology that football, but isn't that really what coaching kids is? Figuring out what makes them tick

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
June 23, 2020 4:06 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Why work hard at developing an offense when all you have to do is get the fast kid to the edge?

This is pretty much what we face in our league...  about 75% of the time the opponent is running a pitch to the outside or a reverse off the pitch.  If we shut down the perimeter - they can't move the ball off-tackle or inside very well.  We're more afraid of their offenses when its a broken play, than we are they'll put a drive together.   [I think I've mentioned that the quality of coaching in our league is not something to  be feared].  Still, we draft play-makers 1st, the HC being the DC emphasizes Defense.  We're generally able to match those other teams' play-makers with Defensive play-makers of our own.  Tho, sometimes kids who were RB's in the lower levels play on our OLine their first year with us.  

Outside of our league we tend to face teams with actual offensive blocking schemes, and they force us to defend the whole field.     These are league vs league challenges, we do 2 of them.  The 1st place teams play each other and on down the line.  Last 3 yrs we've been the 1st place team playing the other leagues' 1st place teams.  

Couple of those teams had the kinda kids you hold your breath every time they get the ball in their hands.  That's why we work hard on being able to sustain drives and chew up the clock.  Those teams are scary. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
June 23, 2020 4:17 pm  
Posted by: @rpatric

isn't that really what coaching kids is? Figuring out what makes them tick

Amen!   Lotsa reasons a kid might not "want to", finding out what it is, and finding a way to motivate them -  sometimes its a challenge.  Most times we find its either the kid didn't really want to play, so we just need to coach 'em up, or, the kid wants to play a different position, which  can be a bit tougher. 

Our team always seem to have too many RB types and not many OLine types, a kid who wants the ball in his hands, and pouts about being a blocker is our most common challenge.   Usually they play OG for us, and we can make that fun with lots of pulling and trapping and kick-outs, and when we get a secure lead we give them some carries.  We will also put them at End and run some end-around type plays if they can't catch. 

Sometimes tho, its a parent... that's when it get really tricky.   Fortunately our HC is pretty good at dealing with those.    

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
June 24, 2020 4:47 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman
Posted by: @patriotsfatboy1

Guys want the diagram for the drill, but don’t care HOW to run the drill effectively or what the key teaching points are.

What do you think of my idea that they do care, but don't believe that can be conveyed in writing?

Some of it can't be taught in writing. Some of it is energy, some of it is how you run all your drills. It still doesn't mean that it can be skipped or overlooked. 

So, to your question, I don't buy it. If they don't believe that it can be conveyed in writing and they still want that piece of paper that they think will work, then I say that they really don't care.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
June 25, 2020 4:07 pm  

Guys want the diagram for the drill, but don’t care HOW to run the drill effectively or what the key teaching points are.

What do you think of my idea that they do care, but don't believe that can be conveyed in writing?

Some of it can't be taught in writing. Some of it is energy, some of it is how you run all your drills. It still doesn't mean that it can be skipped or overlooked. 

So, to your question, I don't buy it. If they don't believe that it can be conveyed in writing and they still want that piece of paper that they think will work, then I say that they really don't care.

Couldn't it mean that they think the diagram would be necessary, but not sufficient?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
June 25, 2020 10:02 pm  

Couldn't it mean that they think the diagram would be necessary, but not sufficient?

So why ask for just the diagram?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: