rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
June 23, 2020 3:17 pm  

@coyote

The best way to get a kid to want to do something is not being a dick about it. If you make them feel good about something, they will have no issue doing it to the fullest. More child psychology that football, but isn't that really what coaching kids is? Figuring out what makes them tick

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
June 23, 2020 4:06 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Why work hard at developing an offense when all you have to do is get the fast kid to the edge?

This is pretty much what we face in our league...  about 75% of the time the opponent is running a pitch to the outside or a reverse off the pitch.  If we shut down the perimeter - they can't move the ball off-tackle or inside very well.  We're more afraid of their offenses when its a broken play, than we are they'll put a drive together.   [I think I've mentioned that the quality of coaching in our league is not something to  be feared].  Still, we draft play-makers 1st, the HC being the DC emphasizes Defense.  We're generally able to match those other teams' play-makers with Defensive play-makers of our own.  Tho, sometimes kids who were RB's in the lower levels play on our OLine their first year with us.  

Outside of our league we tend to face teams with actual offensive blocking schemes, and they force us to defend the whole field.     These are league vs league challenges, we do 2 of them.  The 1st place teams play each other and on down the line.  Last 3 yrs we've been the 1st place team playing the other leagues' 1st place teams.  

Couple of those teams had the kinda kids you hold your breath every time they get the ball in their hands.  That's why we work hard on being able to sustain drives and chew up the clock.  Those teams are scary. 

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
June 23, 2020 4:17 pm  
Posted by: @rpatric

isn't that really what coaching kids is? Figuring out what makes them tick

Amen!   Lotsa reasons a kid might not "want to", finding out what it is, and finding a way to motivate them -  sometimes its a challenge.  Most times we find its either the kid didn't really want to play, so we just need to coach 'em up, or, the kid wants to play a different position, which  can be a bit tougher. 

Our team always seem to have too many RB types and not many OLine types, a kid who wants the ball in his hands, and pouts about being a blocker is our most common challenge.   Usually they play OG for us, and we can make that fun with lots of pulling and trapping and kick-outs, and when we get a secure lead we give them some carries.  We will also put them at End and run some end-around type plays if they can't catch. 

Sometimes tho, its a parent... that's when it get really tricky.   Fortunately our HC is pretty good at dealing with those.    

This post was modified 4 months ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
June 24, 2020 4:47 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman
Posted by: @patriotsfatboy1

Guys want the diagram for the drill, but don’t care HOW to run the drill effectively or what the key teaching points are.

What do you think of my idea that they do care, but don't believe that can be conveyed in writing?

Some of it can't be taught in writing. Some of it is energy, some of it is how you run all your drills. It still doesn't mean that it can be skipped or overlooked. 

So, to your question, I don't buy it. If they don't believe that it can be conveyed in writing and they still want that piece of paper that they think will work, then I say that they really don't care.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
June 25, 2020 4:07 pm  

Guys want the diagram for the drill, but don’t care HOW to run the drill effectively or what the key teaching points are.

What do you think of my idea that they do care, but don't believe that can be conveyed in writing?

Some of it can't be taught in writing. Some of it is energy, some of it is how you run all your drills. It still doesn't mean that it can be skipped or overlooked. 

So, to your question, I don't buy it. If they don't believe that it can be conveyed in writing and they still want that piece of paper that they think will work, then I say that they really don't care.

Couldn't it mean that they think the diagram would be necessary, but not sufficient?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
June 25, 2020 10:02 pm  

Couldn't it mean that they think the diagram would be necessary, but not sufficient?

So why ask for just the diagram?

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
August 31, 2020 3:47 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

You gotta want it more than he does"

It is rather humorous, because that is something you'll frequently hear at youth games and the coaches that are yelling about "wanting it" probably have the faintest idea of what "it" actually is, how it can be employed to develop student athletes and how "it' equates to success on an individual or team level.  They just don't have "it" and wish that they did.  They do plenty of screaming about "it" with the belief that if their players had "it" that they would be successful. 

"It" alone doesn't win football games, "it" alone rarely wins individual battles.  "It", being a desire to succeed, being open to improving, accepting criticism, a willingness to put in the work to prepare the body and mind - is a two-way street between players and coaches.  "It" is something I want to see in my players.  "It" is something I want to cultivate and grow within my players.  Not everyone has "it" for the game of football.  Those that do, with the right coaches, will likely have a good season of football.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 31, 2020 4:41 pm  

@unstable

If "it" was that important, then what's the point of practicing, having plays or lifting weights?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
August 31, 2020 8:31 pm  

@gumby_in_co

I didn’t say that it was that important.  I did say, however; that having players with desire along with coaches that want to foster and grow that desire is important.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 1, 2020 1:35 am  
Posted by: @unstable

@gumby_in_co

I didn’t say that it was that important.  I did say, however; that having players with desire along with coaches that want to foster and grow that desire is important.

I was agreeing with you. Hearing "You got to want it more" is like nails on a chalk board to me. Another one along the same lines is, "They got to decide they want to play football", or words to that effect. 

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 1, 2020 7:34 am  

@gumby_in_co I understand.  I can't recall ever yelling at kids about "wanting it", I had no need.  They proved, day in and day out during practice that they wanted it.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 1, 2020 10:08 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Hearing "You got to want it more" is like nails on a chalk board to me. Another one along the same lines is, "They got to decide they want to play football", or words to that effect. 

I get it.  It's from "Coaching Cliches, 101."  Losers rely on them only because that's what they think coaching is.  And of course the way games are presented on TV doesn't help.  Before the game (or at half-time) we get a 15-second locker room clip of cliched coachspeech about "let's go out there and fight!"  And then the Sideline Bimbo commandeers the Header going in/coming out of the locker room while he cliches about "we just gotta get better in the red zone" or, "we've just gotta make sure we finish" because there's no way he's going to provide any real insight of his prep plan on national TV.  So Joe Recliner at home thinks to himself, "I could do that."  That's why they think coaching is about the cliche.  It's what they see.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 1, 2020 10:15 am  
Posted by: @unstable

@gumby_in_co I understand.  I can't recall ever yelling at kids about "wanting it", I had no need.  They proved, day in and day out during practice that they wanted it.

^ Exactly.  

If my students are required to write their name on their test paper before they can enter the classroom, I never have to say before the test begins, "Make sure you write your name on your paper," or later wonder whose paper it is that doesn't have a name on it.  They were taught to sign in at the door.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 1, 2020 10:59 am  

@coachdp

"Wanting it" falls under the ONLY two reasons the kids should be playing...right coach? This is covered pretty much first thing, day 1. Then we're doing some long bear crawls along with some other fun.  🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 1, 2020 11:40 am  
Posted by: @prodigy

Yep, I've never said it, but we've all heard it. In my first coaching experience, it was clear to me that the o-line had no idea what to do. I started researching and along with earning the name "Coach Google" (not a compliment), I began to understand the importance of knowing who to block over how to block him and how far to drive him. I learned about blocking schemes and took a handful to the HC, thinking he would be impressed. His answer was "That's too complicated for these guys. They just need to decide they want to play football." I had only been coaching about 2 weeks at that point, but I knew it was utter BS.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: