Notifications

Amazing...  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 1, 2020 11:55 am  

@gumby_in_co if it makes you feel any better...my first experience with coaching was very similar.  None of the players had much of an idea of what to do, the offensive line had no blocking assignments.  The coaches spent 99% of their time with the backs while 7 other kids stood in formation and the other 10+ kids stood around watching coaches talk to the backs.  I think that season ended up being 2-6 or something and the games that were lost weren't even close.  None of the ideas I had were taken seriously...I suspect it's because that would somehow take something away from the head coach.

A major turning point for me was midway through the season.  The head coach asked for assistance from one of the AC's from the 9-11 age group who were undefeated at that point.  The AC took time away from his practice, came to our practice area and it was almost like magic, suddenly the kids stopped screwing around, they listened to what the AC said, they were engaged.  In contrast, our own HC spent a ton of time screaming, telling the kids to pay attention, to stop screwing around etc.

I didn't know it at the time...but the assistant coach was helping us install Cisar's Single Wing.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 1, 2020 12:55 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

The AC took time away from his practice, came to our practice area and it was almost like magic, suddenly the kids stopped screwing around, they listened to what the AC said, they were engaged.  In contrast, our own HC spent a ton of time screaming, telling the kids to pay attention, to stop screwing around etc. 

^ Interesting how that works. 😉 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 1, 2020 1:10 pm  

@coachdp you can guarantee that as soon as practice ended and the AC had wrapped up chatting with his players and parents etc...that I was asking him where he learned to coach.  This lead me to all of Cisars stuff and as I dug deeper it led me to this Coach Dave Potter guy in NC...then I found him on DumCoach.  Great guy.  You should chat with him sometime.  I legitimately can't say enough good things about him.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 1, 2020 1:15 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

I dug deeper it led me to this Coach Dave Potter guy in NC...then I found him on DumCoach.  Great guy.  You should chat with him sometime.  I legitimately can't say enough good things about him.

Well, everyone has their own opinion.  Personally, I've heard the guy is a real horse's ass.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 1, 2020 1:21 pm  

you must have heard that from someone he's played against...or one of those janky varsity headers who he showed up while running JV. 😀 

It's good to see you around sir.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
September 1, 2020 1:45 pm  

@coachdp

You better stop talking smack about my buddy Dave! That's how people get their asses kicked!!

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: