Clear all

Among-st the peanut gallery

Page 1 / 5

belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Hey Gents! Been a while.
My youngest (5 yrs old) is ready to play football this year so I signed him up for a new team in the area. We signed up online and they had a section for the parents to sign up to be AC's so with me not knowing if they needed help or not being new, I went ahead and offered help anywhere needed while filling out how many years I've coached as DC/OC and HC ect. We go to the first day of practice and the header has 2 of his buddies helping him out. They never brought up the ppl who may have signed up to help or anything but anyways. I take my son and introduce him to the Coach and I go sit with the other parents in the bleachers as we watch the kids warm up ect. The header and one of his buddies watch for a few minutes and then they pull 2-3 kids from the pack to go work on Center / QB backfield drills..... the rest of the kids are in a single file line running to 2 cones and back, they did this drill for 20 minutes until the first water break. After the break they line the remaining kids up again and move the cones the opposite way for the kids to run the same drill again. At this point I'm just telling myself dont say or do anything to show emotion but it was very tough. Finally they bring the other kids back to the group and the coach says "alright, lets have some fun!" he divides the boys up into 2 teams and they are getting ready to play a game of 2 hand touch...... This is a team of 5-6 year olds, many have never played, over half are just standing there as the older kids who I guess played the year before are running around them like its nothing. The kids on their side dont know whether to block or tackle them and its mass confusion. *Screaming inside!* They let every kid out there take a turn running the ball behind a wall of kids on both sides who dont know whether they should block or tackle him. Finally it's over,we break practice and go home.
The next practice it's pretty much the same exact practice minus the game at the end. Kids are doing the same drill for 20 min or more till the point where the kids in the back of the line are starting their own wrestling matches, pushing and grabbing each other ect. My son doesn't know any of these kids so he's just standing there looking at them like they're crazy. We get in the car and we're heading home and my son tells me he doesn't like football anymore. -I cant blame him at this point- but I tell him to stick it out and it will get to be more fun as they learn and start doing more. Trying to be upbeat and optimistic for my son but I have a feeling it's going to be a long season.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

B

Nice to see you posting again.

Are they in pads?....or are the coaches killing time until they are?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
Topic starter  

No pads yet, just cleats, shorts n T-shirts

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

THIS IS WHY KIDS QUIT. 

Hope he can stick it out.  For his sake I hope you stick it out too. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I keep telling him it gets better ect and how the whole family is going to come watch him play when his games start.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

No pads yet, just cleats, shorts n T-shirts

Ah

Give it time. Then are probably t ball coaches.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
Topic starter  

We're in for the long haul. I hope it will get better once they get padded up

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I keep telling him it gets better

Actually, it probably won’t.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
Topic starter  

—Dave

Sad but true. I'm just talking out my backside to keep him interested. I'd hate to pull him as it's too late to sign with another team.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

—Dave

Probably? Lose that word and I agree. These chuckleheads had all summer to come up with something and that is what they go out there with? I hate to say it but getting away from these guys might be an idea yiu should consider. Day 2 and your boy is over it. Week 2 and he might be done with it forever.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

For all the talk about concussions bringing down the numbers... there is pretty much zero narrative being pushed about crap coaching.  I just finished up a brutal baseball season for my son, with some very poor coaching.  But you know what.  They probably only had 7 practices all season, all of which came before they first game  They played 3 times as many games as they had practices, and still finished above 500.  With zero practices coming after games started.

Now consider football.  This will be our 2nd week of practice for my league.  We will pass the 7 practice mark on Thursday (barring rain cancellations) and we are not even broken up into teams.  The most games a team in our league can play is 12.  We will be at 11 or 12 practices before we even have our teams.  Once we get to teams, we will have another 15-16 practices before our first game.  And then once games start, 3 practices per week.  Add all of that up... its a lot of practice time compared to game time. Its a lot more time to really suck as a coach and make kids bored. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Can you describe this "2 cone drill"? Is it a race? Are they just running laps around 2 cones?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

Can you describe this "2 cone drill"? Is it a race? Are they just running laps around 2 cones?

There is also a 4 cone version where the kids run around a square, or for ambitious coaches, a rectangle.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze

There is also a 4 cone version where the kids run around a square, or for ambitious coaches, a rectangle.

Or for really ambitious coaches a trapezoid

ReplyQuote
bayoubengal
(@bayoubengal)
Bronze

We're in for the long haul. I hope it will get better once they get padded up

I'd have to talk to the HC and offer some help. how many are on the team? its tough to herd those cats with only 3 "coaches" on a 5/6 year old team. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: