Clear all

And we survived the season...

Page 1 / 2

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

And it was a weird season...

We finished our season on Saturday...playing for the big shiny trophy...we didn't win it 🙁

But it was a weird season, masks, hand sanitizer, season pushed back for a month...compressed pre-season...short tempers...

We went 8 and 2, both loses coming coming at the hands of the same team. One in week 3, the other Saturday.

We had no players or coaches contract the virus from my team...one dad did, and we lost his son for 10 days, the son had two negative tests, once when his dad found out he was exposed, the second before he returned to the team. Dad didn't even know he was "sicK" a contact trace led to him getting tested, he was asymptomatic. Our cheer squad had a coach and cheerleader test positive over the Thanksgiving break. Thankfully everyone is okay though.

We did have one boy diagnosed with "perfectionism"...who knew that was a thing? But apparently it is, and he is going to get counselling for it at the beginning of the year...we knew he had issues with making mistakes, and now we know, more importantly his family knows its a thing and is getting him help for it. They relayed a story to me, how he made a 94 on a test (good stuff, gets a bone on his helmet for it)...and he was in full blown tears because it was not a 100...

5 new boys, we had them all contributing in a meaningful way by the time the season ended. 4 were brand new to football, one had played for someone else previously. 

We had our team party yesterday...they played a game a "bingo" with a list of things that fell out of my mouth over the course of the season...it was a lot of fun...after bingo, I invited them all up one at a time to do their best "Coach Chris" impersonation.

Overall, a successful season...to be 100% honest, I am glad it is over, I never want to repeat something like this again 😛

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Coyote liked
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Glad your team got to play, but I'm curious. Why wouldn't you want to do it again? I mean, yeah, playing in the pandemic was less than ideal, but I figured getting to coach was better than not coaching.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

@gumby_in_co The stuff I had to deal with was a lot more than coaching...which I guess it normally is, but a lot more than the normal not coaching stuff...

When dad caught the virus...after 14 days, after he had been cleared by a medical professional, negative test and a visit to the doc...i.e., a medical doctor...he call me and asked if he could come to practice and watch...I was like "you're cleared right?"..."yes sir".."no problem"..I sent an email letting the team know he was cleared and fine and virus free and was coming to practice...You would have thought that I brought a box of pox to the field and asked the boys to climb inside of it...

Or...a girl in "Timmy's class got covid". "Crap, what did the school say?"..."well, nothing"..."then how do you know she got covid?"..."Because Timmy's teacher took a covid test." "Was she positive?" 'Well, no..."..."How do we know a girl in the class got covid?"...."we heard a rumor"...

The league told me I had to take everyone's temperature...they gave me a thermometer and everything...I told them "No". They asked why..."I am not a medical professional, nor am I there parents, I am not going to clear anyone to practice and open myself up to that liability"...Well, what are you going to do? The same thing I do every season, tell the parents if their kid is sick, don't bring them to practice..."Oh"...thankfully, TeamSnap had a little free adder to their app where parents can answer some questions regarding being sick...but...

"Coach Chris?"..."Yes?:..."TeamSnap said I can't bring Joey to practice"..."You answered yes to one of the questions didn't you?"..."Yes"..."which one?"..."Well Joey has seasonal allergies and he has a runny nose". "Does he have a fever or any other symptoms? Is he sick?"..."No, he is fine except for the allergies"... 🙄 

And the poor team mom..."Coach, Billy, Timmy, Jimmy, George and Coach Joe Bob didn't do their Health Check in TeamSnap"...After 580 emails reminding them to do their health check in TeamSnap (you have to do a health screen before you send him to school everyday...)

Don't get me wrong...it was great when I didn't have the drama regarding the virus stuff, teaching the kids...but the "extra stuff" beyond the normal extra stuff was exhausting"

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@spidermac

Okay, so it sounds like you and I had very similar experiences . . . except I wasn't the guy in charge. Mahonz was, so maybe he has a different view of things.

Getting ready for o-line Indys.

Me: "William, why is your helmet off?" 

William: "Because I'm sick."

Me: (starting to back away) "How are you sick?"

William: "I have a fever and my head hurts."

Something similar happened about 5 times over the course of the season. Somehow, I did not get COVID.

I guess I had some "guy in charge" blues when Mahonz left me in charge of the post season tournament/festival. They put is in near lockdown the night before, then told me that we could proceed with "zero spectators". So I had to enforce the "parents in the parking lot" rule, which went about as well as you could predict. Then, they changed their mind literally that night, so I let them back in on day 2. 

But I am FAR better off for having coached. I'd do it all again, even with all the BS.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

And we had our team party yesterday....and the parents gave me this...my eyes were sweating a little bit...

Dusty Ol Fart, jtrent64, CoachDP and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Okay, so it sounds like you and I had very similar experiences . . . except I wasn't the guy in charge. Mahonz was, so maybe he has a different view of things.

Nope...Chris nailed it. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

But I am FAR better off for having coached. I'd do it all again, even with all the BS.

I had an appointment to go to the range with a shooting instructor this Saturday.  But I just got an email from his wife.  He just died of COVID.  And he's a year older than I am.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @spidermac

And we had our team party yesterday....and the parents gave me this...my eyes were sweating a little bit...

I see you've already gotten paid, Chris.  In full.  Congratulations.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I just had a former player contact me.  I coached him when I was the header at KHS back in 2010-11.  He told me he was picked up photo editing as a hobby and asked if I could send him a picture that he could edit.  So I sent him a picture of us.  He then posted this on his FB page:

"Edited this picture a couple weeks ago that was sent to me by my high school coach, Coach Dave Potter.

Anyone that knows me knows how much I loved playing football and knows that I had a passion for it. I miss it.

Side-note: One of the greatest coaches I had the pleasure of being taught by. If you had the pleasure of meeting him and actually got to talk to him then you would know what I’m talking about."

So I got paid yesterday.  One of the great things about an opportunity to coach, is how well and how many times it pays off.  And while it's one of the hardest jobs in the world, it pays off in both the short term and the long term.  Congrats again, Chris.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @spidermac

Don't get me wrong...it was great when I didn't have the drama regarding the virus stuff, teaching the kids...but the "extra stuff" beyond the normal extra stuff was exhausting"

We're dealing with that now.  At every practice, The players have to be checked off at Station 1 (because only those who've signed up online to attend can actually be there).  So only half of our team is actually in attendance.  After they leave Station 1 (helmed by one coach), they go to Station 2 (helmed by the HC).  He has to quiz them ("Have you sneezed today?/Do you have the sniffles today?/Do you have a stomach ache today?") and then take their temperature.  Then they come to me and give me their name so I can write it down so that we can cross check attendance with Station 1.  We are never inside.  The boys have to drop all of their gear in their own area.  Players are spread out so far across the field it's practically impossible for them to hear some of the instruction.  This is absolutely no way to coach football.  On the other hand...the players are so thankful to be out there, to see you, to get coached...I've honestly never seen a group of high school kids who were so sincerely thankful to have the opportunity to get coached.  It's a pretty moving experience.

That all said, the county is voting today to see if schools are going back to virtual learning.  If they do, I expect we'll be shut down.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@coachdp None of these precautions account for the fact that at some point, 11 of yorn are going to line up in your zero splits, a football's length away from hizn and hit each other. Then, send another 11 of yorn to do the same against another 11 of hizn. Lather, rinse, repeat for 2-3 hours. Lather, rinse repeat for 8-11 games plus scrimmages.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

@coachdp None of these precautions account for the fact that at some point, 11 of yorn are going to line up in your zero splits, a football's length away from hizn and hit each other. Then, send another 11 of yorn to do the same against another 11 of hizn. Lather, rinse, repeat for 2-3 hours. Lather, rinse repeat for 8-11 games plus scrimmages.

Exactly.  How does all this distancing do us any good when we'll end up actually playing the game without distancing?  It's like wearing a condom only some of the time.  Either wear one, or decide you're going to be a parent.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Our governor has already decided a curfew (between 10pm and 5am) must be enacted.  So you cannot drive your car between those hours.  Evidently, it's all that 10pm-5am driving around that's fueling this virus. 😏

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@coachdp More like wearing a condom during the date and taking it off in the bedroom.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Some of these "Solutions" really show how Dumb some folks are.  Most Politicians have exceeded their level of incompetence by a lot! 

Just Sayin.  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: