Notifications
Clear all

And we're done

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

Except for the year end pary...

Lost a tough opening round playoff game with my 5 year olds on Saturday... 19-12...so we are done until next season...but...it was a very successful season, honestly, my expectations were exceded in the fact that we won as many games as we did, I was drafting a football team, not a flag football team, we were going to learn more than "fast kid left" and "fast kid right" and our team was doing some things no other teams in the league did:

1. We had a drive that consumed an entire quarter...3 different times.
2. Our entire offense goes to the huddle gets the play, breaks the huddle and lines up, without help from the coaches...every other team lines up their oline and has them wait while coach gives the play to the backs.
3. We ran plays without a huddle, play blown dead, "get on the line" play called out and executed. One game we were able to run 4 plays in a minute and 16 seconds without a huddle or a time out.
4. And yesterday, the thing I was most pleased with...we varied the snap count between 1 and 2...we only had 3 or 4 false start penalties, but got a lot of offsides calls on the defense.

So during the game, I heard a coach shout from the other sideline..."C'mon, we can stop them, they only have 3 plays"...which made me smile...because he was right, we only have 3 plays, but we can run them from under center, out of the Gun and left or right...and they all have the same line and back field action...and we run those 3 plays really well...

We did well this season, and I cannot wait for next year  😉

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

Congrats. With 5 year olds, that is fantastic.  I'm sure it was a season full of fun moments that will come back to you all off season and make you laugh.  Sounds like you did a great job.

Will you stay with them next season and how old till tackle starts?

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

C

Very cool. I love it that you taught the kids how to play the game. That is HUGE.

Great job !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

Congrats. With 5 year olds, that is fantastic.  I'm sure it was a season full of fun moments that will come back to you all off season and make you laugh.  Sounds like you did a great job.

Will you stay with them next season and how old till tackle starts?

I told the parents...I have made a 7 year commitment to their boys...we have one more year of flag, 6 year old, then 7 year old we start tackle...

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

C

Very cool. I love it that you taught the kids how to play the game. That is HUGE.

Great job !

I know! The parents have been very complimentary to me and the coaches and have told me that they are amazed with what their boys have learned...I have two "dad" coaches and one "non-dad" on the staff...I asked the dad coaches whether they thought we were giving them too much...and they said things like "maybe, but let's try it and see how it goes"...and it always seemed to be followed up with a "I was really surprised they got it"...my opinion, they are just short people who have less experience that I do...we can teach them if we parse it properly.

Next year, pre-snap motion and pulling G's, power and Counter and TKO...we did try these at the beginning of the season, and it was too much with only two hours of practice a week...they will be a year older and less twitchy  ;D

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

I know! The parents have been very complimentary to me and the coaches and have told me that they are amazed with what their boys have learned...I have two "dad" coaches and one "non-dad" on the staff...I asked the dad coaches whether they thought we were giving them too much...and they said things like "maybe, but let's try it and see how it goes"...and it always seemed to be followed up with a "I was really surprised they got it"...my opinion, they are just short people who have less experience that I do...we can teach them if we parse it properly.

Next year, pre-snap motion and pulling G's, power and Counter and TKO...we did try these at the beginning of the season, and it was too much with only two hours of practice a week...they will be a year older and less twitchy  ;D

Great Job!!!

Those are some big steps for those kids at that age.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

Great Job!!!

Those are some big steps for those kids at that age.

Jack

Thanks Jack! Funny you chimed in on this post...I was sending an email to my coaches strongly suggesting they attend your clinic this spring  ;D

You have been a tremendous help to me these last two season...made me a better coach! And not just you...a lot of the other coaches on this board too!

ReplyQuote
LPcoachchuck
(@lpcoachchuck)
Copper

Great job, Coach!  Sounds like you accomplished much more than winning some games and making the playoffs.  I'll be taking our org's 6 y/o flag team next year and was curious if you have any words of wisdom.  We will be 7 on 7 with 4 on LOS and 3 backs and all will be eligible receivers.  Everyone has to start somewhere on offense or defense.  I have 5 years of coaching experience but none w flag or kids this young and would appreciate any advice you could give.   

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

Great job, Coach!  Sounds like you accomplished much more than winning some games and making the playoffs.  I'll be taking our org's 6 y/o flag team next year and was curious if you have any words of wisdom.  We will be 7 on 7 with 4 on LOS and 3 backs and all will be eligible receivers.  Everyone has to start somewhere on offense or defense.  I have 5 years of coaching experience but none w flag or kids this young and would appreciate any advice you could give. 

We are 8 on 8, 5 on the line (2 ends are eligible) and 3 backs...

What we did, we kept everything simple as possible...we did not use hole numbers or back numbers or left or right...we lettered the backs and colored left and right (red = right, blue = left) and gave them red and blue shoe strings.  A play call could be Red Shift A Wedge Middle...translation = The Left Wing (A) would shift to the Right, and get the ball going into the middle and the line was wedge blocking...although the wedge wasn't all that great  ::)

The first few practices we put the boys through a gamut of drills to see who was fast, who could snap, what can they do...and we kept them moving...small groups moving from drill to drill...never too long doing one thing...

Once we had an idea of who we wanted to play where we lined them up in our base formation (which we ended up not using) and then showed them how to huddle...how we would call the plays and how to break the huddle and get lined up...how to "get their feet"...then we showed them the shift formation (which we did use)...and we would huddle again and call blue shift or red shift and practice getting lined up from there...

Our practices were always the "same"...warm up (which wasn't realy required from a physical stand point), blocking fit, then indies, then team drills then play polish, then a game of some sort...the warm up period was a chance for them to learn how to line up behind the football and watch the football and go when the football moved...and too start establishing a culture..."this is how we do things here"...

Be ready to "adjust fire" on the fly...sometimes they are just a mess and you can't get any work done...so move the "game" up and let them burn off some of the "jitters"...

Use key words to get ideas across..."Get your feet" = get your feet shoulder width apart and make sure you have a good split..."Power up" = sink your hips and get your hands ready to block..."Find the ball" = get lined up defensively and make sure you are not offsides..."Eyeballs" = reply with "Snap Sir" and get your eyeballs on coach and listen..."Dawg Pound" = Bring it on coach and take a knee...

Get them something to shoot for each practice...we had a couple of hard hats that I dressed to look like what our helmets (if we wore them  :P) looked like...and at the end of practice we would give them to the boys who had a "special" practice...this was kinda messy for us at the beginning...the boys thought that if they didn't get the hard hat they had a bad practice, or were bad a t football...I had to explain to the boys that was not the case. Make sure you spread the hats around...sometimes you will have to search hard to figure out a reason to give it to that boy who is looking at the clouds...

Try and keep distractions to a minimum, when talking to them, do not hold anything in your hand that you do not want them to look at...if you are holding a ball, they will look at the ball...if a hot air balloon appears, break for water  ;D

Assume they know nothing, and then teach them what they need to know...

This got longer than I wanted it too...PM me if you want more  8)

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

Great post. Saved in my notes, Just In Case cuz ya never know.  🙂

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
LPcoachchuck
(@lpcoachchuck)
Copper

Thanks for the great info.  This aligns with some of the things that have been going through my head since my main worry is keeping the little dudes focused.  Lots of action and little standing around time seem to be the consensus with folks I've talked to that have experience.  Congrats again on the succesful season. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDoc
(@collin)
Bronze

lol, I had to coach kids that age once, but in soccer.  Wow,  is that tiring, but if you put the effort forth, those kids and parents will remember you forever.

ReplyQuote
Share: