Clear all

Another baseball question?

Page 1 / 2

TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

As i said...not a baseball guy.

1St up date on catcher issue: Kid is doing a lot better probably stopping 75% instead of 50!

All baseball coaches coach for me in football so pretty tight group. Even though I'm 'not' a coach I still help and do strength and condition. HC likes to run laps  ::) half mile to mile run before practice?? He claims that gets their stamina up.

The Coaches have a concern that pitchers are wearing out quickly so was talking about running them more??

So my question is how do you baseball coaches work out guys your players? 9u AA?

The few times I've worked them we do enduro drill for 10m or do a set of  15 pushups, Setup and burpees then do 5 30yd Sprints x3.

Im thinking if we want to build there stamina. Lets do sprints or gashers. With 20-30s rest inbetween.

Mind you all this group of boys played on my tournament championship team. Played 5 games in a 19 hr spand Saturday and Sunday and won it. So they had stamina when we ram sprints and fast pace practices.

Just want to hear some of you baseball coaches opinion becuase i didnt know if running laps was norm for baseball.

Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever!

A Champion will do what a loser won't do to succeed!!

Who Am I?

J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I can't imagine a scenario where I dedicate any baseball practice time to conditioning. We just came off of a 5 game weekend and nobody was tired except for pitching arms. No amount of conditioning is going to help a pitchers arm.

ReplyQuote
falconphil
(@falconphil)
Lurker

I am a High School baseball coach.  My role is to work with the pitchers.  Pitching is the single most explosive movement in sports.  In season training for pitchers is dependent on whether they are in a starting or relieving role.  We also consider when they will be pitching again.  Pitchers need to do sprint and agility work in season.  We follow the top velocity training program.  Pitchers sprint twice a week.  Sprints are tens and twenties.  We do agilities once a week.  Starting pitchers with five days rest will do medicine ball target throws on day 3 before baseball target throwing.  They will finish up with power throws.  This allows for less baseball throws in season.  Baseball target throws will be 6 exercises of 4 reps each.  Relief pitchers can perform the medicine ball and baseball target throw routine for 2 to 3 days per week.  Remember because pitching is so explosive you must teach your pitchers to move explosively.  The medicine ball target throws help with this.  Having pitchers sprint and perform agility exercises helps them to move fast.  Pitchers must explode with the lower body.  When they are done pitching their legs should be tired.  For recovery purposes pitchers should do a lower body workout with weights the day after they pitch.  Jogging laps does not help pitchers recover.  It impedes recovery.  There are studies that have proven this.   

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

There usually is NO running in baseball, believe it or not.  Both my kids play on high level travel teams and I swear, they stretch a bit, jog a bit and everything else is throwing and hitting.

Thus they both play a second sport to actually keep their conditioning up.

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

These are 9yr olds...first yr of kid pitch. We have 8 kids that practice but main 4 pitch mostly in tourneys. Everybody is getting better.

I just didn't know if long distance running was a normal thing but I believe in some kind of conditioning for all youths.

And no bull pen all pitchers have other positions.

But if they want their endurance up...if he lets me work them I'll get it there but not by laps.

Thanks guys

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

I think my kids do 2 laps around the outfield and 2 short sprints and BOOM, they throw for a half hour

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze

My son was a pitcher and he would start throwing in January to get ready for the season.  That included bull pen type sessions (indoor facilities) and quite a bit of long ball (when he could get outdoors).  That did include his first season of kid pitch when he was only 8-years old.  Not quite sure how to condition a pitcher in season.

Kent

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I am a High School baseball coach.  My role is to work with the pitchers.  Pitching is the single most explosive movement in sports.  In season training for pitchers is dependent on whether they are in a starting or relieving role.  We also consider when they will be pitching again.  Pitchers need to do sprint and agility work in season.  We follow the top velocity training program.  Pitchers sprint twice a week.  Sprints are tens and twenties.  We do agilities once a week.  Starting pitchers with five days rest will do medicine ball target throws on day 3 before baseball target throwing.  They will finish up with power throws.  This allows for less baseball throws in season.  Baseball target throws will be 6 exercises of 4 reps each.  Relief pitchers can perform the medicine ball and baseball target throw routine for 2 to 3 days per week.  Remember because pitching is so explosive you must teach your pitchers to move explosively.  The medicine ball target throws help with this.  Having pitchers sprint and perform agility exercises helps them to move fast.  Pitchers must explode with the lower body.  When they are done pitching their legs should be tired.  For recovery purposes pitchers should do a lower body workout with weights the day after they pitch.  Jogging laps does not help pitchers recover.  It impedes recovery.  There are studies that have proven this. 

I agree with all of that for HS baseball players. I am a training fanatic and firmly believe it's the best way to recover and endure the rigors of a long season. ! It sounds like you guys have a great regimen for your staff. My team is made up of 11 year olds. The OP was asking questions about 9 year olds. I don't know what his practice schedule is like but we only get 2 practices per week if we are lucky. We play two games per week as well. Most of us don't really have the time to dedicate towards the conditioning of these young kids. Every available minute has to be spent teaching the game.

ReplyQuote
Cadell
(@cadell)
Bronze

The last year I coached baseball - 2 years ago with 7U - I had the weirdest group of kids I'd ever had in any sport.

By that I mean they LOVED to run.

We started out at the end of one of our first practices just practicing running the bases. Then because they were enjoying it, it turned into a form of relay race.

Practice was over for 20 minutes, and these kids kept asking to run again. I was tired just watching them run, and all the parents were also in amazement, none of them griping about practice going way over, because the kids were having so much fun.

I finally had to make them stop. They'd run like 15 times and like I said, I was exhausted just watching them run. Every single practice, they wanted to run base relays after that.

I've never had a team in baseball, basketball or football where they were straight begging me to run at the end of every practice except that team (they were smart kids too, the girls are mixed in before moving up to softball the following year, so they'd send the girls to ask me so I wouldn't say no....the moms always cracked up).

Even on days when we had no game or practice, I'd do voluntary batting or catching practice, and even if only 1 or 2 showed up, they'd still ask to run and for me to time them.

Weird, crazy kids I tell you.

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!!

@seabass. We practice 3 days a week for 2 hrs and only play on weekends. I see your view but we have time to exercise, I just like exercising them to keep them I shape.

@falcon. Yeah we don't have the luxury you do. No bull pens. But thanks for your knowledge!

I'm going to ask them tonight if they will let me build their endurance instead of adding laps.

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

Well he didn't listen to me. Had them running for 25 mins.

He say that's how the pros do it so idk.

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
CoachDoc
(@collin)
Bronze

well, that's how the pros do it?  Can he back it up?  The most frustrating thing is a person who doesn't know jack thinking they know everything. 

I can't seem to find a single one that encourages long distance running (I didn't spend tons of time looking), but found tons of them saying you shouldn't.  Having said that, I don't think it is a big deal, as long distance running can't be bad for the kids as a whole, can it? Here is one article.
http://megliofitness.com/how-to-condition-for-baseball/

Another one with some science to back it up (actual peer-reviewed studies):  http://www.ericcressey.com/should-pitchers-distance-run-what-the-research-says

Here's one from a somewhat trusted source:  http://www.nsca.com/education/articles/methods-for-training-baseball-players/

Having said that, I don't think it is a big deal, as long distance running can't be too bad for the kids as a whole, can it?  My 9 year old son runs long distance because he just likes to, so I say go ahead.  I am 100% more concerned about him throwing too much and blowing out his arm when he is older.   

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

Thanks coach, I found your first article yesterday and was going to show it to the coach. But he ended running sprints and suicides because some of the other baseball coaches was suggesting it also. Deal is I believe the HC is a lil intimidated by me because he knows everyone knows I do research on things to further my knowledge. And most times know what I'm talking about. Im going to send him these links and see what he's thoughts are.

As i agree long distance isnt necessary a bad thing but through all my research it shows as being not as good for athletes as sprinting. And then also the lactic acid build up in kid studies show that weaken their muscles. So kids that struggle running long distances in my opinion is getting weaker not stronger.

Like the 2nd article states that long distance running was the norm and I use to think like that too about football years ago but now know different. That's where I'm thinking he got his knowledge from...just what he was taught.

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I've coached a power/endurance sport for years, and I've noticed a huge overlap between the people who continually say, "You have to build a base" and the people who know absolutely nothing about conditioning.

The people who are huge on building a base never seem to finish it.

As Charlie Francis said, "If these people had designed the Great Pyramid, it would have covered 700 acres and topped off at 30 feet."

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
paccoach
(@paccoach)
Bronze

Coach,

I'd try to talk him out of conditioning all together.  25 minutes of practice time to condition is just insane for 9U players.  That time is much better spent on more drills and the things that win baseball games.  Pitching, defense and hitting.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: