Another baseball qu...

Notifications
Clear all

Another baseball question?

Page 2 / 2

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I'm pretty sure if some of the pros in a particular sport smoke during breaks, you don't need a ton of conditioning to play it.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

Idk about taking conditioning out completely would be my suggestion because you can get plenty of conditioning done in 10m...i do believe that 25 is using too much in a 2 hr period.

Just hope he understands and listens instead of thinking "coach tim think he knows it all" Honestly im working with my son on gaining weight slowly and he has gained 8 lbs in 4 mnths while getting stronger but lost 2 since all this running has started. And hes not the only kid working on gaining weight on the team. Buy even more than that...lets just do what the kids will benefit from!

Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever!

A Champion will do what a loser won't do to succeed!!

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
paccoach
(@paccoach)
Bronze

Conditioning for baseball IS needed but most is done in the off season and we're talking 9 year old kids.

That age group just doesn't need it with the limited time you have there are much more valuable things to spend time on.  I know it's tough for a football coach (myself included) to shake that mindset.  The only value in conditioning during the season is to teach perseverance through discomfort.  It's valuable in that regard but not much else.  So much to teach to 9 year old kids about the game.  In 10 minutes you can get 10 kids 10 ground balls each (maybe more).

John Kruk said it best.  "Lady, I aint no athlete, I'm a baseball player".

I'm not saying that's entirely true.  Just seemed fitting under the circumstance.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

"I play a real sport.  I'm not trying to be the best at excercising." ~ Kenny Powers

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

How many 9 year olds need a substitution in a baseball game because they become exhausted? Seriously!

They need reps taught by someone who knows what the hell he's doing. They need to learn where and when to back up plays, cutoff responsibilities, fielding ground/fly balls, how to slide, where the play is when hit to you, lots of hitting reps etc...

I have seen tons of youth baseball games lost due to a lack of understanding and or lack of skill at a position or deficiencies in any of the above mentioned . I HAVE YET to see a youth baseball team lose because they were out of shape!

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

How many 9 year olds need a substitution in a baseball game because they become exhausted? Seriously!

They need reps taught by someone who knows what the hell he's doing. They need to learn where and when to back up plays, cutoff responsibilities, fielding ground/fly balls, how to slide, where the play is when hit to you, lots of hitting reps etc...

I have seen tons of youth baseball games lost due to a lack of understanding and or lack of skill at a position or deficiencies in any of the above mentioned . I HAVE YET to see a youth baseball team lose because they were out of shape!

I understand what your saying. They do spend a lot of time on the game. Kids ar very knowledgeable on the above things! Have some smart kids amd baseball coaches! This exercising size thing just came up this week due to them thinking pitchers need more stamina & endurance to help them be able to pitch longer. Only running before that was 2 laps (1/2 mile). Even then I wanted them running sprints but wasn't overly bad exercising so was like oh well not feel we're wasting time so thought I'd ask some baseball guys cuz I'm not.

Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever!

A Champion will do what a loser won't do to succeed!!

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

This thread has inspired me to read up on the topic since I have twin 13 y/o 9th graders who are showing promise as pitchers.  Their MS coach  has the entire team run a minimum of 2 miles every practice.  That's more running than I have ever had any of my football teams do!  My gut tells me that at best, it's a waste of time, while at worst it is likely hurting the team's performance.

AS I've scoured the internet the ast few days, the most credible authority I've found is Eric Cressey, who is absolutely against distance running for pitchers (and position players as well).  He works with baseball players of all ages from youth to professionals.  I've got a LOT of reading to do, but so far, everything he says resonates with me.  Here is his article on distance running for pitchers:

http://www.ericcressey.com/the-fascial-knock-on-distance-running-for-pitchers

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Distance running makes sense for competitive distance runners.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

Around here....field time is too valuable to waste a minute of it on Conditioning....especially @ 9U, there is so much to the game to teach and fundamental skills to master which take years.

Pitchers use to run poles etc. I think much of the thought process has changed over the last 25 years. @ the professional level pitcher's typically use a "flush" the day after a start to get "the bad blood out" or flush the latic acid.

Best conditioning for a 9U baseball player is to play outside on off days from sun up to sun down.

For me at any level conditioning comes down to do I have enough time to do enough for it to make a difference...20+ minutes X 3 days a week for 4 to 8 weeks.

At 9U pitcher's are more likely to wear down from poor mechanics than physical condition or the ability to not throw strikes.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

The "flush" is rarely spoken of outside of the training community. Flushing to remove lactic acid and "bad blood" is incredibly important for the older age groups. I am an Olympic lifting fanatic and I try to get some kind of flush every 3rd day when I'm lifting heavy. Some amount of soreness can be avoided by flushing. It makes a lot of sense that pitchers would utilize that after a long outing.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

The sports world has a lot of bad info about lactic acid.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I agree with you on that Michael. However, I can tell you from first hand experience that flushing after anything strenuous is helpful to recovery.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: