Appologies to Coach...

Notifications
Clear all

Appologies to CoachDP

Patriot
(@patriot)
Silver
Topic starter  

I feel like I owe CoachDP and appology. Today I had to "fire" my first ever volunteer coach. He was not living up to the standards of the program. Good guy, just a horrible coach.

DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Bummer - He have a kid on the team?

I don't like working with anyone of any type of responsibility I don't know ahead of time.  It's not worth the aggravation that they can bring to the table.

It's good to have a core 1 or 2 guys (besides yourself) and other guys who want to help get responsibility as you get to know them and their abilities.

So you do O or D and guy you trust does opposite, then other guys are basically bag holders until they demonstrate that they are capable of more and being on same page.

Nothing worse then you leave for a minute to do something else and someone is teaching something completely different then what you were doing.  That makes me want to kill someone. 

Ends up being a lot of running in place.    Also rather start with not enough guys then have to ask someone to go.  That being said I always try to collect a dad or two every year that wasn't originally on staff, but I try to size them up for a few weeks before I ask them to come help.    I do this by asking a lot of dads to be bag holders during team practice (scout).    These are dads that are watching practice and hear the coaching and then hear it close up at team.    If they start catching on and knowing what we want and are able to help out from time to time, then that is a big plus and we have gained another coach.

It's a little different now that we have official staffs and picture id's and background checks and everything - but that is how we used to do it.   

I don't want guys who are there to make sure their kid is playing X position or his "kid is getting a fair shot at X position" and isn't about the team.    I don't really give a crap who is playing what position name wise.    They are pieces on a chess board to me.  I care about them as people, not what position they are playing. 

Some of those guys become great coaches that you can use in the future when their kids are done playing. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I think most of us started as dad coaches. I did. I was an mpp recorder/bag holder and was knowledgeable to run kids through drills. I listened and kept my mouth shut and absorbed everything my header said. I was unusually lucky to get on the staff of a truly great youth coach. I've been riding his coat tails ever since.  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I feel like I owe CoachDP and appology. Today I had to "fire" my first ever volunteer coach. He was not living up to the standards of the program. Good guy, just a horrible coach.

Huh?  Why are you apologizing to me?  You didn't fire me. lol

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

I think most of us started as dad coaches. I did. I was an mpp recorder/bag holder and was knowledgeable to run kids through drills. I listened and kept my mouth shut and absorbed everything my header said. I was unusually lucky to get on the staff of a truly great youth coach. I've been riding his coat tails ever since.  🙂

Rob,
Let us not forget, if you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people.  It is a two way street.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Chris K
(@chris-k)
Silver

I have never fired an assitant but have been fired as one 😛

Chris K.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”- Jerry Rice

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have never fired an assitant

Oh buddy I have...

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Let's see, I think I have fired 7 or 8 AC's over the years. First one was a good friend & a good coach. He showed up to a game VS our arch rivials drunk & made an a fool of himself, I had to fire him in the first qtr., telling him to go wait on the bus. We won the game big & after the game I had to get him off the bus & away from the players. At that point he had sobered up a bit & was in tears.

The worst was I had a former college star who was our DC at the JV level. He was a monster at 6'7" tall & 325 lbs. He had missed several practices the week we were playing the best team. He disregarded the game plan & didn't make any adjustments we had worked on. The first 2 drives our opponnent went through us like we were playing touch football. I told him on the sidelines you are done, I'm calling the D. We went on to win 28-21 in this incredible football game. When we returned to the locker room, I was totally drained. The big guy storms in & punches a locker, screaming he was never so embarrassed in his life. I figured go big or go home. I jumped up & got right in his face. I told him if he thought I would let him lose a game for those players because he didn't put in any work all week he was crazy.

Well, everyone in the coach's office was in shock. I kept blasting away at him. Everyone including me was surprized when he started crying & saying he was sorry. He asked me what happens next. I told him he could still coach the DL, but Coach X was now our DC. I also told him he had to stop missing practices or he was done. Never had another problem with him.

Fired a few daddies, mostly for not coming to meetings or not doing what we asked. Demoted a few others to being clip board holders.

The point of all this is sometimes you have to do what is best for team. Sometimes that means firing a guy, sometimes demoting. As long as it's not done in anger it's usually what's needed.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Huh?  Why are you apologizing to me?  You didn't fire me. lol

--Dave

I think I know why he is, I believe I remember the conversation(s).  Short version is that, to my recollection, Patriot was pretty critical of some of the expectations laid out around here for youth assistant coaches, and that someone would "fire" a volunteer coach.  And I believe you were, well, yourself about your position on the matter (meaning blunt, for starters), which put him squarely in opposition to you.

Dave, you're just in the middle of so many sh*t storm threads (not by your doing, just by topic/approach), you've probably forgotten all about it, LOL.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Dave, you're just in the middle of so many sh*t storm threads (not by you're doing, just by topic/approach), you've probably forgotten all about it, LOL.

John, I guess I have.  I'm not a grudge-holder.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Patriot
(@patriot)
Silver
Topic starter  

I think I know why he is, I believe I remember the conversation(s).  Short version is that, to my recollection, Patriot was pretty critical of some of the expectations laid out around here for youth assistant coaches, and that someone would "fire" a volunteer coach.  And I believe you were, well, yourself about your position on the matter (meaning blunt, for starters), which put him squarely in opposition to you.

Dave, you're just in the middle of so many sh*t storm threads (not by you're doing, just by topic/approach), you've probably forgotten all about it, LOL.

Correct. I took a hard stance that volunteers should not be fired. For the most part, however, I we have "hired" guys on the same page as the direction of the program. So for 10 years it was a non-issue. We made a mistake asking a guy to coach (out of need) that did not see his team in the same vein as we see our program. This guy is actually a good human and treats kids well. On some teams in some situations, that's more than enough. For our program it's a minimum expectation.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

expectation.

🙂

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Share: