Clear all

As HC, how much control do you take?

Page 2 / 2

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

How the hell are they "true linemen"?

They're heavy and slow. They won't be playing in my backfield.

By the way, if your linemen get their asses kicked, they'll see plenty of action in the backfield.

Let's hope not.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

I've only been at it 3 years now but I'm finding that coaching the players is the easy part (once you know what you want and focus in on it).

Coaching the Coaches, much harder. Everyone talks about players (not on this board necessarily but when you talk to other coaches, parents etc). Building a staff of ACs that have even 75% of the commitment/passion that I do is hard to find, and compared to some I don't have much commitment/passion. I find it interesting that a high percentage of what I consider the more prominent coaches on this board are not Daddy Coaches (no offense I'm one).

The staff I have this year was assembled on 8/1. No prep what so ever, lots of email correspondence, 20 minutes before practice, 20 minutes after practice. I'm involved in everything (I take what is the priority of the day and work with that group during indy's, last week it was containment for our CB on Defensive day and repping the WEDGE on Offensive Day). I've had to correct install type mistakes when I come back. Such as Guard kicking DE instead of BB. That is lost time but now they know. Who's fault is it when that happens....mine, I've got to communicate more clearly to my ACs on what I want ran and how.

I do have an AC that I would consider handing more responsibility to but he has travel commitments for his job. At our age we are on the field during the games. I can't wait to get to the sidelines, it's exhausting and tough to concentrate on subs and game situations etc. I managed the clock correctly last week to get us the ball back before the half and I'll be honest I was happy with myself (got a score and the ball back to start 2nd half). I'd love to turn over the Defense on field assignments to another coach and if the game is in hand I'm going to put them out there, the same as I would with my back ups.

To the OP, there is nothing in your post that makes me think you are a control freak or doing anything wrong. But as a HC the 1st responsibility is to the team always but I do think we should be looking at opportunities to build up our AC to coordinators or future HC in the program (and for the future of our teams if they are going to stay w/ you). I believe that you need quality AC to take the next step.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Let's hope not.

Hope is not a strategy.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

I don't know if I worded the subject to say exactly what I'm trying to express, but hopefully you'll have a better idea after I finish. I guess in a nutshell I pretty much get accused of not giving enough control to my ACs. Last night, the area Field Commissioner asked me why my ACs were on the sidelines while other ACs seemed to be more involved with their teams. In all honesty, I really couldn't answer that. I was working with the offense. Our first game is tomorrow and I feel like we still have a lot of work to do. I did tell the FC that we were still installing and finally just got our defense in. One of my ACs is going to run the defense. I had sent him all the info 3 weeks ago and he would be responsible for that. Yesterday, before this incident, I told the other AC that I wanted him to run the special teams. Yes, I basically did all the player placements and initial installations. However, now that there is at least a framework, I really don't have an issue with whatever player changes they make. If they want a different kick returner, fine. If they want a different LBer, I have no issue with that either. All I want is for them to run the schemes that I put in. Other than that, they will have total control over personnel decisions.

As the HC, I feel that it is my responsibility to put together the overall team philosophy. With the fact that we don't even know who our ACs are until a week in, I don't see any sense in leaving a defensive scheme to some "daddy" coach who just picked something up with no previous study or knowledge.

Now, the ACs do help when we do drills. But yes, when it came to installing schemes, I was the one primarily doing it. So I guess in a sense maybe the ACs might feel a little left out. 

I know that I have a problem. I am a control freak. I admit it. I need help. But I couldn't find a local chapter of CFA (Control Freaks Anonymous). But all kidding aside, at what point do you start turning the reigns over to your ACs? Keep in mind that these are "daddy" volunteers who may never have an indepth understanding of what needs to be done. As I said, they actually will get most of the control starting with our game on Saturday.

Delegate VERY CAREFULLY.  What you GIVE AWAY cannot be retreied without impairing relationships.  The AC's must EARN what authority you trust them with, and even THEN it must be WITH the understanding that YOU (as "CEO") can VETO anything you don't BELIEVE in!

We did not give TITLES ("OC"; "DC ") etc., because it stifles the creativity of OTHER staff members.  "WE WERE ALL IN IT TOGETHER"!

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

Delegate VERY CAREFULLY.  What you GIVE AWAY cannot be retreied without impairing relationships.  The AC's must EARN what authority you trust them with, and even THEN it must be WITH the understanding that YOU (as "CEO") can VETO anything you don't BELIEVE in!

We did not give TITLES ("OC"; "DC ") etc., because it stifles the creativity of OTHER staff members.  "WE WERE ALL IN IT TOGETHER"!

Have to completely agree here.  I was an assistant coach for a guy a few years ago and he had one of his assistants take over the defense.  This was the young division where you have a coach on the field.  When things were going badly on defense he decided at the next game (pre-game warmups) to tell that assistant he was going to be taking his spot on the field when the defense was out there.  The assistant felt his ego was bruised and blew up.  They had a loud argument in front of the kids and the rest of the season that assistant refused to help and simply watched from the sideline and would never talk to the HC.

This was probably blown up a bit more than usual, but the point remains.  Make sure the AC's earn what you give them because taking it back will cause problems in your relationship.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

AC's have their job and I have vetoing power with final say. That was told at the beginning.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

As much as I've been bothered by some HCs not involving me enough, I've still never been banished to the sideline during practice.  I have however, gone there briefly to check out injuries.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

How the hell are they "true linemen"?

By the way, if your linemen get their asses kicked, they'll see plenty of action in the backfield.

;D

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

I would keep all control to start and delegate it as your AC's prove they not only understand what you want but can teach it to the kids. I have run the offense and defense for the past 3 years. I don't want to run both but I have to because my AC's don't spend the time learning, scouting, etc like I do. I made the mistake of giving the defense to a coach, like you say you did, and told him to learn it. Well he learned nothing and complained for several weeks about the offense. I told him I was taking the defense away and moving him to a position to coach that he didn't like. He quit. We got much better.

I had 2 guys this season who wanted to run the D. The one still isn't ready but he is trying hard. The other would be great (coached the same D as a high school HC for years) but I think he is more along for the ride with his son. He doesn't want to much responsibility.

I have had that same scenario of AC's standing around doing nothing while I run around doing it all. I ask, beg and plead for them to jump in but usually they have no idea what to do and their lack of confidence in what we are doing is why they are standing around.

So do it all....you are there for the kids not the coaches....until they prove they can do it themselves.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Pantherlinecoach
(@pantherlinecoach)
Bronze

I run the offended and all aspects of special teams when I am a header. I have a trusted d coordinator that's been with me for years now. When I ran my defense,  it was very John Carbon,  Shooter - like. Also ran the true wide tackle six. My D coach runs what he calls a gap 8, but its a 4-4 look. We have had nothing but success together,  so defense is his, 100%. Now, if I didn't have him,  I would be much more stingy with control.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I do think we should be looking at opportunities to build up our AC to coordinators or future HC in the program (and for the future of our teams if they are going to stay w/ you).

Why bother if you don't get a staff together until August 1?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

Why bother if you don't get a staff together until August 1?

--Dave

I'm coaching the Tiny Mites (5/6) so not unusual (I think) for a staff to come together that late. There are plenty of issues w/ how things are done. I'll voice my opinions at season's end, maybe they will be acted upon, but probably not, some things are out of my control. I have a choice to either take the position or do something else with my time (came close this year). As long as I take the position I'm going to do what is best for my team and in turn hopefully that is best for the program as well. Training coaches is good for my team (It's flippin hard) and may pay dividends for the program as well, but it is secondary to me stepping into a drill or taking control of something (that is priority for the week, unfortunately I can't do it all).

I have shared your thought as well though often. Very frustrating at times, I want to make excuses but I don't allow them for my players so I can't allow them for myself. We are doing well but if we had even 2 weeks of prep time it would have made a huge difference.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Initially, all of the control. with trust comes responsibility.

I have a coach who works in the wt room unsupervised by me, didnt start that way, but now, during the season, he runs the wt room.

I have a dbacks/rbs coach, hes on the go now, he also runs the jv huddle without me interfering.

I have two frosh coaches who are much more independent than last years duo.  i still coach the frosh but im more freed up to work with varsity 1s and 2s now ( I have come to the conclusion that first and second string is really all I have time for on varsity).

I call both the offense and defense at the varsity level right now. Ill most likely let someone else handle jv after i see a jv game or two.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: