Notifications
Clear all

Bobblehead Progress

Page 1 / 6

CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

In the hope that someone is interested in 8man Bobblehead SW, I thought I would start my own season progress thread.  For reference I am running my 8man interpretation of Cisar’s material and practice plan with input from Mahonz and others and I am using SAB blocking. I am trying my hand at Mojo and pushing the Potter envelope as far as I can.  We started the season with 12 players.  Last night I got 2 more but I think I have 2 who are going to drop out despite my best efforts.

Last night started our second week of practice and was our first night in full pads.  After week 1 I was feeling a bit discouraged at the amount of work required to get the little guys to do the most basic things and was hoping I hadn’t taken on too much. 

I made adjustments to some of the progressions to focus more on where to go than on how to get there.  I still start with steps but only a couple of reps.  I then focus on correct path and assignment for the backs and I set up dummies at various distances on the OLs track, for example.  I will increase focus on footwork as the big picture gets clearer for them.

Following the plan, we should have a play and a half running at this point.  I am pleased to say that by the end of practice last night we ran 16 power with the center snapping, all backs hitting their assignments, the line performing SAB, and the guard pulling.  This includes the wing in motion ala DCWT.  We did it with both the starters and backups. 

It looked like crap but everyone did their job and I couldn’t be prouder.  I don’t mind that we didn’t get sweep started.  Compared to Power that will be a breeze.

We also started tackling drills which culminated in 3 slot.  Our tackling looks good for this stage and surprised me a bit.  We had 0 head down attempts and only 1 whiff.  2 tackles took 10+ yards to complete but they did not give up or let go.  I believe Mahonz is right when he says get them in the right place and they will make a tackle at this stage, even if it is not pretty.

I also got my first agent feedback.  One of the moms told my AC last night that we were doing a good job of disciplining the boys.  Another one told my wife that we were on the ball because we were doing many of the same things her boy had done in NFL camp over the summer.

You guys are making me look good, thanks for everyone’s help.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Keep on Rolling !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

8 man SW

How did you convert it?

Pulled the FB or BB out of the formation?

Balanced or staying unbalanced?

We too ran 16 Power the other night and I was stunned that it actually looked like a play (same age, 8 Man), pulling guard, BB kicking out, and WB to MLB, OL on the right bags (I'm going SAB too at this point). Of course I'm pretty sure if I asked them to do it again right now they would look at me cross eyed.

Have you repped WEDGE yet? I introduced it one night (at the end of practice, big mistake) but haven't had the time to come back to it yet, have to work on base blocking and POWER since we are scrimmaging this weekend.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I pulled out the LE, IT and BB and am running UB.  My FB is a half step fwd of the TB to give him a small head start and he does the kick out.  My wing is in motion like in the DCSW.  He is my smallest player and I want him to get a running start at the LB.

No Wedge yet, tonight is D and I will start wedge Thurs.  I have a couple of big brothers show up half way through practice and like to hold bags.  I think the kids will get a kick out of shoving the teens around.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
CoachAnthony
(@rushbuster70)
Bronze

pm'd you!

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

More diary of a madman...

Wednesday was D.  We did indy, whose ball and twin cannons with whose ball trying to get their juices flowing.  Then we went to Team against coach skeleton to show alignment and react to sweep and off tackle.  Lots of reps, and they are starting to flow the right way.

Tonight was O again and we put in 18 sweep and wedge and reviewed power.  The highlight of the evening was running wedge against one of the teens standing around.  They formed up great but vertical (as expected) and he couldn't hold them back.  The kids and the agents got a big kick out of that.  I am impressed given this was the first night learning wedge.

At that point they were mentally spent so we closed out with deer hunter.

All in all a good week.  They look much better than I feared they might but we have a long way to go.

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Looking Up

Another week in and we are making progress.  Power and sweep are rough but usable.  Wedge still needs work but they get after it.  We just put in reverse and they seem to get it.  I am going to take these 4 plus freeze into the first game in two weeks. 

We drill wrist coach at water break and they are doing well.  I will issue them next week.

Special teams go in this week and that should be interesting.

The biggest progress has been in aggression.  I start practice with Clark’s speed builders and then go straight to Fight Club.  It took a couple of practices but last night it caught fire.  I set it up so that Fight Club was waiting for them at the end of the last sprint and let them know that I needed 4 to get started.  The race was on and it only got better from there.  I run it with winners stay and losers fight for a turn.  We had a couple of guys hold the winner spot for a good run which limited reps for the rest.  The energy and frustration grew into a great fervor.  There was a constant shoving match to get in and I never slowed the drill pace so they had to decide in a hurry who was staying.

The two highlights were the standoff between our biggest and our smallest boys where neither would budge and I had to finally have a coach pull them out of the drill and face off to decide.  Big won but small never quit, despite some tears.  Second was our heaviest and strongest boy, who is very soft.  He cried because he got pushed out so I told him that as the strongest boy here nobody can do anything he doesn’t let them.  He eventually pushed and cried his way in.  He came back a few times despite being blown out.

I let it run an extra 10 minutes and would have kept going if D didn’t need so much work.

We have a bit of team creeping in as well.  At end of practice breakout I am starting to have boys ask to call it and I ask them what it’s going to be.  I get an occasional “Broncos”, but by a wide margin they chose “Family”.

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The biggest progress has been in aggression.

Robert, so I guess you are saying that aggression is teachable?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

RJ,

Couple of Questions.

1.) Do you have 5/6 (K/1) or just 6 (1st Grade)?
2.) How many nights a week are you going? Has school started yet?
3.) How long are you going? 2 Hours or shorter?

We are 12 practices in at this point w/ a Jamboree (5 No Pads, 1 Walk Through, and 6 Pads) and are down to 3 nights a week for 1.5 hours. 4 Practices till Game 1. Because of the way the calender fell we had to scramble to get in all our required hours before the Jamboree also I had to allocate a bit more time to getting them able to run a play and line up on Defense understand how a Football Game actually works in stead of focusing on priority number 1....blocking and tackling (contact/hitting).  For the Jamboree we were way ahead of our opponents...that doesn't mean we are any good yet, just that the other coaches are more clueless than me. Better at being aggressive when blocking as opposed to tackling.

If I can figure out how to bring out the aggressiveness in a few of them we will be pretty good, if not every game will be a track meet (we have top end speed). If I can get it out of all of them, season will be a lot of fun. It has been 2 steps forward, 1 step back (or more) it seems like. School started and has really thrown a few of them for a loop should be getting into the routine by now and last night's practice was better.

We do have a few that are aggressive but we are moving slowly with tackling due to the technique being poor, lots of time with remedial coach and back to the bag then into a live contact tackling drill and repeat. I have one that if you picture a cartoon character trying to run through a brick wall, that is what he looks like...sometimes he wins other times the brick wall. I find that every practice I have to drop a session or drill to continue to work on something cause usually they are just starting to "get it" when it's time to switch it up.

Pursuit Angles are a nightmare at this age, another thing we need to work on.

I'd ask what Fight Club is...but everyone knows the 1st rule of Fight Club. I am tempted to run Tee Time but I still don't feel like they are ready for it yet. The one drill that we had a lot of success with last year in getting them more aggressive.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

R - We group by grade so they are all 1st graders.  We practice 3 nights a week for 2 hours until school starts then I will cut it back to 2 nights for 1.5 hrs.  School starts on Monday.  Our first game is on 9/7 and I will sneak in a practice next Saturday.

At this point we have had 8 (3 no pads) practices and don't do a jamboree.  I will have 14 practices before the first game.

As you know, their heads are mush and they don't know anything.  They don't know they are supposed to be aggressive (or what that even means) until they are taught to be aggressive.  Ask Coach Potter for his material.

We had some good energy from whose ball when we had no pads.  Since pads it is an athletic feat for these guys just to get up from laying on their back.  It dampens the drill.  I still use it but not as much.  Dog fight (towel drill) gets them going and they have fun with deer hunter but fight club is where it is at for my guys.  They are not ready for Tee Time. I need to do more Gauntlet.

I am considering including fight club as part of pre-game.  It should get the opposing agents' attention if nothing else.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Looking Up

Wedge still needs work but they get after it.  RJ

I will take an ugly wedge over no wedge

Wedges can be ugly and still be effective

Great job RJ

Remember aggression  😉

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I will take an ugly wedge over no wedge

Wedges can be ugly and still be effective

Great job RJ

Remember aggression  😉

I think I  am going to really like wedge as well.  Apart from them doing it standing up (which makes it more of a wall than wedge), the main issue I have is with my center.  If he fits quick, the snap is wild.  If he takes his time there is a gap.  I told him to get the snap right first.  We will get it eventually.

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Since pads it is an athletic feat for these guys just to get up from laying on their back.  It dampens the drill.

Robert, are you having them do Whose Ball on their back?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachAnthony
(@rushbuster70)
Bronze

Rob,

I started practice this week with my 5-6-7 year olds...I have about 16 kids.My 5 year olds are ehhh.My 7 year olds are studs.My son is a pretty decent OL player.I have quite a few RB's.I'm excited for it.My evaluations are finished.I have some very good players.I cant wait! We are running 8-Man SW also.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

13 Practices down for us. 2 Plays in on Offense: POWER and COUNTER. WEDGE would have went in last night too but missing 2 of my Guards w/ 100+ temperatures (forgot just how much the little ones tend to get sick when school starts up, hopefully we won't have too many issues with this, I need to train one more back for depth). Starting to get a bit of a mean streak in some of them during the blocking drills and it rubs off on the others.

No Live Tackling work last night (Offensive Day). Cut out about 10 minutes early. Pushed them pretty hard during the Install of Counter and then ran Team on AIR for 15 minutes (still have to work a lot on coming to the line and getting splits etc). Temps have been mild through August, we've had practices in the 70s, they were up last night into the 90s at the start and this had an effect on them as well.

Next Week is Game Week. Time to set down and get the priorities straight for next weeks practices.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share: