Notifications
Clear all

Bobblehead Progress

Page 2 / 6

CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Robert, are you having them do Whose Ball on their back?

--Dave

Dave - that made me laugh and I see how that might be read into what I wrote.  I am referring to the point where the one of the boys winds up flipped on his back during the struggle.  It is not just being on their back, it is that many are all helmet and pads at this age and they have to fight the equipment a much as the other player.

A - Sounds like you have a good group.  I officially have 14, which I think is about right for 8 man, but the smallest boy has quit and I am afraid that another is on the fence.  The rest are solid though.  Some teams wound up with 17 players.

R - School starting concerns me with my low numbers.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

14 is a fine number for 8-Man, I actually prefer 12. At 12 you don't have to worry about squeezing MPR in. It tends to work it's self out and we will only need to monitor 2 kids to make sure they play enough and as long as the pace is normal won't be an issue.

What are your timing rules? We play 2 30 Minute halves w/ a running clock (Standard timing for last 2 minutes). It can go pretty quickly depending on a team's ability to get in and out of a huddle and get them aligned (I should have had someone time us during the Jamboree so I can now what to expect). There was some talk about allowing the Referees to stop the clock on longer runs and resets. They timed one in the 7 Year Old division yesterday and it took 2.5 minutes to get a play off after a long run that didn't end in a TD yesterday.

My guess is we will see between 40 to 45 plays in our games.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We run 4 10 minute quarters.  The clock will stop for out of bounds, change of possession, incomplete passes, touchdowns, or penalties.

I  am running no-huddle with wrist coaches.  We have 2 coaches on the field and I will start the season with a "semi huddle" and gather the three backs on me to give them the play along with quick reminders or adjustments.

I am curious to see how many plays we get in.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
CoachAnthony
(@rushbuster70)
Bronze

Rob your lucky.We only play last 2 mins of half stop & timeouts stop

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Just an update. 

We had a pretty good practice this week. O, D and ST.  I am converging on getting the most bang for the buck with regard to practice time.  I have it structured with a brief warmup, fight club, indy/group, break, drill of the day, team O, team D.

We have 4 plays in and the boys are doing the right thing with consistency.  Fight club continues to deliver.  I feel like a nut some days.  I range from being impressed with their performance to being convinced we won't win a game.  I am always wishing I had a good coach on hand to tell me what I am doing wrong.

This week I may put in 27 sweep in case my WB can't execute 43 on game day.  I plan to drill my line on lining up correctly on the center.  The only thing that seems to be harder for them to do is remember which position they play.  I will also pull my 3 MPPs aside during indy time to coach them up.  In general I plan to infuse more details into practice now that they are getting the big picture down.

Two practices before game day.  I need a beer. ;D

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I am always wishing I had a good coach on hand to tell me what I am doing wrong.

Hah.  Robert, I was at the youth practice on Thursday and you could have told them what they were doing wrong.  I can't ever remember seeing such a cluster.  I am more convinced than ever that guys just don't want to learn.  We are killing our game, guys.  :'(

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

I feel like a nut some days.  I range from being impressed with their performance to being convinced we won't win a game.  I am always wishing I had a good coach on hand to tell me what I am doing wrong.

I think this is normal for this age. I have felt the same way. We played this weekend, it went pretty well (have a list of 13 things to correct/adjust in addition to the general "just get better" at what we do).

Did get compliments from the Referees, opposing AC, and several parents came up to my wife during/after the game to say they are thankful to be with us. A lot of the stuff DP is talking about from the other staff. Losing their minds a bit out there, if we see it again I'll make an effort to use the "whisper method" DP talked about in one of his post. By the end of the game we had found 3 players that were flying to the ball and hitting. We've moved very slow with tackling while being very aggressive in practice with all blocking drills. They will be praised in practice next week.

Saw about 1/2 of the other teams in the league, we could have a very good year. I don't have any MPP and we were clearly ahead off  all but 1 team.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Robert, so I guess you are saying that aggression is teachable?

--Dave

Dave - I missed this post earlier.  I am definitely saying that aggression is teachable if you know how to teach it.  Thank you for sharing how to teach it.  Fight Club is the single best thing we have done.  I have to make it clear in advance what drills require waiting for a turn.  My line may not have good form yet but if they get their hands on someone, it ON.  My D had me worried for a while but FC combined with team fit against coach skelly has produced good things.  If they are paying attention, it takes full effort and a quick pitch for a coach to beat them to the outside.  They don't bring the big hits yet but they show up in bunches.

Hah.  Robert, I was at the youth practice on Thursday and you could have told them what they were doing wrong.  I can't ever remember seeing such a cluster.  I am more convinced than ever that guys just don't want to learn.  We are killing our game, guys.  :'(

--Dave

I have no doubt that many teams are way behind us as we have a couple of clueless coaches in our division and at least one arrogant douche.

For our part, I am doing all I can to become a good coach.  I feel inexperience is the my biggest setback.  I feel an experienced coach could get more done.  I am constantly reflecting on teaching opportunities I missed.  There is just so much to keep track of when not much of it is reflexive.

R - Character sells, good job.

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachAnthony
(@rushbuster70)
Bronze

Coach Rob,

What is fight club?

So far we have 2 plays in.Power & Power Pass.I have a QB who can throw about 15 yards right on the money & a WR who catches like hes 10.He can read the ball in the air! Love it!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I range from being impressed with their performance to being convinced we won't win a game.  I am always wishing I had a good coach on hand to tell me what I am doing wrong.

Just follow your practice plan and listen to your gut.

Keep us updated

How does your wedge be lookin?

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach Rob,

What is fight club?

So far we have 2 plays in.Power & Power Pass.I have a QB who can throw about 15 yards right on the money & a WR who catches like hes 10.He can read the ball in the air! Love it!

Ask DP for details on fight club it is his invention.  It is essentially 2 on 2 boards but that is not the important part.  The point is to get everyone agitated and aggressive.  It is all about how you run it; loud, fast, egging them on, they fight to get in the drill.

I am most impressed that you have a boy who can catch.  Congrats.  🙂

Just follow your practice plan and listen to your gut.

Keep us updated

How does your wedge be lookin?

I would feel better if I could follow Cisar's practice plan but I had to throttle it back.

Tomorrow is the last practice before game 1.  KO/KOR review, Install 27 sweep, Team D fit, The Rope.

Here is a dilemma I found yesterday, when it takes 3 starting O to block your starting DE but your DE gets beat to the outside in the process, who do you yell at?  ;D

The wedge is looking better and better.  There is still a lag between the C and G but we will work it out.  I stacked my 4 scout D on the G yesterday and the starters rolled em, even with the gap.

RJ

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Here is a dilemma I found yesterday, when it takes 3 starting O to block your starting DE but your DE gets beat to the outside in the process, who do you yell at?  ;D

The DE

The wedge is looking better and better.  There is still a lag between the C and G but we will work it out.  I stacked my 4 scout D on the G yesterday and the starters rolled em, even with the gap.

RJ

I have bird dogged my young players with the wedge
One step one heartbeat
Everybody takes one step on snap for about 12 times perfect
Then 2 steps 12 times
Then 3
I cant remember doing any more than 3 they get it by then

I bird dog the crap out of the wedge  ;D

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reminder. I think they are ready for wedge bird dog. The big step is for my C to snap and step and remain accurate.

RJ

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Thanks for the reminder. I think they are ready for wedge bird dog. The big step is for my C to snap and step and remain accurate.

RJ

I dont know how Dave C teaches wedge but I teach the center to not go ahead if no NT, he just waits for the push
If there is a NT then he engages him and then the  push comes and the hurricane knocks dwon the bowling pins

Wait
You are running UBSW right?
Crud center isnt snapper
Center is long guard

I think you know what I mean though  😉
I hope

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Correct, we are UBSW.  My guard is my fight club champ and a wedge unto himself.  He has the NG driven 2 yards before the center can catch up.  I can't wait to see how that plays out in a game against a solid NG.

RJ

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6
Share: